Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Well, I always park a felt on its crown to preserve the shape of the brim, and somebody at work asked me what I was taking up a collection for.

All aside, I think my new OR is the perfect hat for me as I get 80-90% pro and maybe 10% con. Usually people say I look like a Texas Ranger... Business casual (usually with a ranger belt and pocket watch)+ stock OR= you get the idea....

Jerekson

One Too Many
Dan G said:
Yea.:fedora: dg'ya light a cigar right after you said it?:cool2: you're cooler than I am. I'da said, 'shut it'. In all my splendid tact.:eusa_doh:

I'da just flipped him off.

Seriously, that kind of crap is simply uncalled for.

Hey Thunder, what was this guy wearing, per se? :rolleyes:

plain old dave said:
Well, I always park a felt on its crown to preserve the shape of the brim, and somebody at work asked me what I was taking up a collection for.

'Yeah, I am taking up a collection so we can buy you some real clothes. Care to contribute?" :p

Yeah, I am starting an organization to save old felt hats from extinction. Would you like to contribute?"

Or being really mean: " We are taking up a collection so we can buy you a bar of soap. PU!" :p

Regards,

J

Jerekson said:
I'da just flipped him off.

Seriously, that kind of crap is simply uncalled for.

There's always the response I've been known to unleash on my critics:

"Your opinion is irrelevant." Followed up if necessary with Step Two:

"You are irrelevant." :eek:

Along with many other sarcastic ways to let it be known that I consider the offender beneath the level of something I'd scrape off the sole of my oxford...

John in Covina said:
If you can get away with it try a menancing tone for:

"If Ida wanned your opinion, I woulda beaten it oudda ya, see?"

Yes, but I prefer subtlety. Besides, in some places that's considered enough of a "threat" to be grounds for an "assault" charge. (Remember, "assault" is the threat, while "battery" is the deed, at least here in my AO...

Besides, there's something that some people find very unsettling about my calculating monotone, and when it's being used to dismiss them with "You are irrelevant", the general unease and somewhat even creepiness of it do a lot of the work for me. :D

Dan G

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
If you can get away with it try a menancing tone for:

"If Ida wanned your opinion, I woulda beaten it oudda ya, see?"

I like this one! Do you have a billy club? Light the cigar, but in a not so subtle way maybe reaching for your lighter let the handle show? Heh Heh.lol Maybe slur the words a little too?

celtic

A-List Customer
well, i've always been an 'outsider', if you will.

i was one of the first boys in school to wear an earring.
i was the first to hang out with a 'freak' punk transfer student (i lived in a small town)with a devil-lock and/or liberty spike mowhawk.
i was the only boy in high school with a full beard or goatee. (before goatees were 'the norm')

through my twenties i had hair almost to my butt, and wore many earrings and had tattoos (a style which eventually became cool...which REALLY threw me for a loop...actually being IN STYLE..)

i've always worn hats and 'old' clothes and worn styles that would be considered out of the norm.

and yes, some people have commented negatively on my hair (or the cueball that i have now), earrings, tattoos, and attire.

but guess what: i finally realized that i CHOOSE to be different...i CHOOSE to look different. and while i don't choose it to get a negative reaction, i realize that people will react oddly (at best) to people who don't look cookie cutter.

by choosing to look or dress different from the norm, you set yourself up for reaction, good and bad.

of course, if someone is obviously berating you i don't think you should just sit there and take it, but if the worst somebody says is "HEY INDY" or HEY BLUES BROTHERS", you have it LUCKY.

side notes:

i'll agree that a lot of older black folks DO have great sense of style and i take great pride when they tell me i look sharp...

arguing that colombo/blues brothers/dick tracy's hat 'had only a 2 inch brim' or 'who could ever make that mistake'?.. is silly. the average mook isn't going to know the difference. be glad they didn't refer to you as Carmen Miranda (although she WAS a hot ticket)

the worst/best comment i've ever heard (depending on your perspective)

from a fellow Irish-American coworker as he saw me walking in to work wearing a suit, trenchcoat-duster and tweed newsboy cap:

"You look like a bagman for the Molly Maguires!"

celtic said:
arguing that colombo/blues brothers/dick tracy's hat 'had only a 2 inch brim' or 'who could ever make that mistake'?.. is silly. the average mook isn't going to know the difference.

Maybe but if they are going to make a stupid comment shouldn't it sort of make sense? :eusa_doh: If they have no idea what they are talking about then they shouldn't make the dumbest comments I have ever heard---thus the title of the thread. :p

Regards,

J

ilcatex

New in Town
How about this one...

This lady is telling me why she doesn't like clergy (not knowing I'm a pastor).
"They either dress really sloppy, in jeans and stuff - so you know they're fake, or they dress nice like you (I was in a bespoke jacket and trousers) and they're on the take..."

I respect (and sympathize) people not choosing religion, but she didn't leave clergy much choice for clothing... maybe a kilt? :p

celtic

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Maybe but if they are going to make a stupid comment shouldn't it sort of make sense? :eusa_doh: If they have no idea what they are talking about then they shouldn't make the dumbest comments I have ever heard---thus the title of the thread. :p

Regards,

J

that part of my post wasn't in response to the thread topic.

it was in response to (IMHO) overreaction to said dumb comments.

and making a stupid comment that makes sense doesn't make sense. that's what makes it a stupid comment...it not being SMART and all... :p

celtic said:
that part of my post wasn't in response to the thread topic.

it was in response to (IMHO) overreaction to said dumb comments.

No over reaction---just reaction. [huh] :D

celtic said:
and making a stupid comment that makes sense doesn't make sense. that's what makes it a stupid comment...it not being SMART and all... :p

We have a winner for our Rube Goldberg Most Confusing Verbage Award. :eusa_doh: [huh] :p

Regards,

J

ilcatex said:
How about this one...

This lady is telling me why she doesn't like clergy (not knowing I'm a pastor).
"They either dress really sloppy, in jeans and stuff - so you know they're fake, or they dress nice like you (I was in a bespoke jacket and trousers) and they're on the take..."

I respect (and sympathize) people not choosing religion, but she didn't leave clergy much choice for clothing... maybe a kilt? :p

"Geez lady, not everyone can be Jimmy Swaggert.":p

"What should they wear? Hooded robes then?":rolleyes:

Regards,

J

celtic

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
No over reaction---just reaction. [huh] :D J

well, getting in somebody's face, blowing smoke in their face, and/or insulting them is overreaction for someone confusing your hat with some movie character.

but again, that's MY opinion.

jamespowers said:
We have a winner for our Rube Goldberg Most Confusing Verbage Award. :eusa_doh: [huh] :p

the 'confusing' tone of the post was intentional.

tho it sounded much funnier in my head, i must admit...:p

celtic said:
well, getting in somebody's face, blowing smoke in their face, and/or insulting them is overreaction for someone confusing your hat with some movie character.

When someone opens their mouth, they should be prepared for the consequences of said action. The old think before you speak tends to come to mind.
The quoted reactions were specifically for those that first insulted them by the way. :eusa_doh: [huh]

Regards,

J

akaBruno

Suspended
The thing that you all should be saying is, "Who gives a F*CK what anybody thinks or says." That's not a question. It's a loud and proud statement.

Sorry if I overstepped the bounds of civility there but... it's a necessary attitude. :cool2:

BRUNO

akaBruno said:
The thing that you all should be saying is, "Who gives a F*CK what anybody thinks or says." That's not a question. It's a loud and proud statement.

Sorry if I overstepped the bounds of civility there but... it's a necessary attitude. :cool2:

BRUNO

Actually, we are saying something more in the line of think what you want but if you decide to say something then I can say something back. Resorting to expletives just isn't funny anymore. Its been way overused in comedy. Geez, I could just imagine what Bob Hope and George Burns would sound like today with our overabundance of expletives. :eusa_doh:
I'll take the smoke and wit over the expletives. :D

Regards,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe