Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

funneman

Practically Family
cookie said:
I am 55 and I seem to remember my old man (born 1912) wearing a hat in some snaps in the 40s/50s but not past the 60s and he was bald at 23!

I'm 53 tomorrow and I can remember my dad never left the house without a hat. He wore one of those Hank Kimball canvas affairs at work or one of various straw stingys at play. Later he switched to a Stetson cowboy hat. That's him in my avatar from 1955. I also remember plenty of men in my small coastal Florida town of Fort Pierce wearing straw and felt hats through the sixties and even seventies.

funneman

Practically Family
JohnnyB53 said:
And here's my dad in 1954. He was born in March 1909.

BurMilGeoJohn1957-crop-1-1.jpg

QUOTE]

Hey Johnny B, our dad's look like they could be hittin' the streets together!

Great picture. It would make a great avatar.

funneman said:
I'm 53 tomorrow and I can remember my dad never left the house without a hat...
Funneman, you are my sister's age but your dad was born the same time as my grandfather. I never saw him leave the house w/o a hat on, never a ball cap. He actually stopped the stretcher after having a stroke to make me go get his fedora so they could wheel him out the house to the ambulance. He was sitting up, not laying down. All of his cronies were the same way & I idolized him & some of them...

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
My dad was born in 1916, I remember a wide brimmed hat in the closet, but I don't remember him wearing it. He wore Stetson fur-felt stingy brims when the weather was cold. Later in life he wore wool trilbys and ivy caps. After he passed away, age 91, I found a Stetson stingy in a box in the closet with no sign of wear. Recently, I wore my Campdraft to my mom's house. She said she liked the hat, it reminded her of the hat my dad was wearing when he met her at the train station in 1949.

Dad_Fedora_3-1.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This is more of a strange one:

I've been asked if I'm Jewish hundreds of times. The long beard, the wide brimmed hat, and the fact that I normally look sort of business casual make it a perfectly reasonable question.

Recently, however, I was in an airport, wearing jeans, a patterned shirt with the sleeves rolled up, no hat, and with my beard trimmed down by about 3/4 of what it was two months ago. A 20ish orthodox Jewish guy came up to me, (I removed my ipod earphones as he approached) and asked me if I am Jewish. I smiled and said "no, I'm just a guy with a beard". He smiled and walked off.

This was the first time that a practicing Jew has ever mistaken me for one of his/her own. Maybe he just thought I had strayed and wanted to get me back into the fold. In any case, it was strange to be mistaken for a Jew, by a Jew, while looking less Jewish than I have in a long time.

Aerol said:
It's easy to confuse "60-70 years ago" with "someone 60 to 70 years old." I'm in my 60's (yes, it pains me to write that) and I can assure you that when I was in my 20's, 40 years ago, no one wore hats. Even my father, who's now in his 90's, never wore a hat.

Actually, there was one type of hat that was common in the late '60s early '70s. It was green and made of steel. And creases of any sort were decidedly unfashionable.

No need to have pains about making it to seasoned citizen status. You have seen enough to know better and know better than to look too much. ;) :p
My father wore my grandfather's whippet when it rained and such but he really never wore hats much. My mother's father was another story. He never went anywhere without one. :D My father's father had a few hats but I don't remember him well since he died when I was 4. Funny thing is that his hat, the whippet, is what got me started in hat wearing---not my grandfather that I had seen wear hats for years. Go figure. :rolleyes: :D
Sunday, I was wearing a double breasted window pane suit with a double breasted overcoat and a Disney Fedora. An older woman was fairly impressed with how I looked and said so a few times. :eek: She was in that "someone 60 to 70 years old" category. :D

Lefty said:

I've been asked if I'm Jewish hundreds of times. The long beard, the wide brimmed hat, and the fact that I normally look sort of business casual make it a perfectly reasonable question.

Recently, however, I was in an airport, wearing jeans, a patterned shirt with the sleeves rolled up, no hat, and with my beard trimmed down by about 3/4 of what it was two months ago. A 20ish orthodox Jewish guy came up to me, (I removed my ipod earphones as he approached) and asked me if I am Jewish. I smiled and said "no, I'm just a guy with a beard". He smiled and walked off.

This was the first time that a practicing Jew has ever mistaken me for one of his/her own. Maybe he just thought I had strayed and wanted to get me back into the fold. In any case, it was strange to be mistaken for a Jew, by a Jew, while looking less Jewish than I have in a long time.

That was as good a comment as you can get. :D

funneman

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
Funneman, you are my sister's age but your dad was born the same time as my grandfather. I never saw him leave the house w/o a hat on, never a ball cap. He actually stopped the stretcher after having a stroke to make me go get his fedora so they could wheel him out the house to the ambulance. He was sitting up, not laying down. All of his cronies were the same way & I idolized him & some of them...

That's excellent. Not to get morbid on a thread that has already been hijacked way off topic, but...

My father died in the front yard of his house, flat of his back with his Stetson straw hat over his eyes. And yes, he died with is boots on.

funneman said:
...My father died in the front yard of his house, flat of his back with his Stetson straw hat over his eyes. And yes, he died with is boots on.
:eek:fftopic: How I'd love to go out!!! My father & maternal grandfather both went out with heads on their pillows, in their beds, just took sleep to another level!

Pduck

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
:eek:fftopic: How I'd love to go out!!! My father & maternal grandfather both went out with heads on their pillows, in their beds, just took sleep to another level!

I'd like to die in my sleep like my grandfather rather than screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

OK, that was just sick. :eek:

Baron Kern

New in Town
Lefty said:

You know, I dont have a beard but when I dress up well and go to my university alot of jews come up to me and ask me if im jewish. I have no idea why. The weirdest one was some small little boy, maybe 10 or 11 walks up to me in a small suit, holding a stalk of corn and a squash and asked me if i was jewish. The same thing happens to me as happened to you, they just kind of turn around and walk away. Dont even say hello or goodbye or explain why there were so interested for a moment. Really confuses me.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
A man I only barely know saw me walking down the sidewalk last summer,I was wearing a straw fedora.He said,"a fedora! I didn't know you liked fedoras,my father always wore a hat like that,My sisters and I were going through his stuff last month and we threw away over a hundred fedoras,he had them in boxes in the attic I wish I had Known you liked them".I still cry when I think about it.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
^ Oh My Gosh...................................................I'm almost crying now....that's...............................terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe