Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starius

Practically Family
Wow, thats a completely opposite experience to my own childhood. Growing up on a farm, a Elevator gas truck would bring the gas to us! Our farm gas barrel would get filled up every couple months. I never had to operate a pay gas pump until my early 20s.

The farm gas barrel has been dry for several years now though. But I still get my gas mostly from the Elevator station in town, thus keeping the family tradition of just having to pay for fuel on a monthly bill basis...

BegintheBeguine said:
As some Loungers here know, I am never afraid to show my ignorance on many topics by opening my mouth. :)
Ahh, but Ms. Ashley, you're forgetting, there are but two kinds of people in any given area of knowledge: those who are ignorant, and those who once were...

(still trying to learn the concept of "self-deprecating humor"...)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamondback said:
Ahh, but Ms. Ashley, you're forgetting, there are but two kinds of people in any given area of knowledge: those who are ignorant, and those who once were...

(still trying to learn the concept of "self-deprecating humor"...)
That's why I'm not afraid to open my yap, as someone will quickly correct me when I'm wrong. I learn something and they get to show off their smarts. :)

metropd

One Too Many
I was at a race track party, and this trophy wife starts hitting on me after awhile she says "let me introduce you to my former husband, he is a former millionaire.":eek: :D

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
This one isn't a negative comment.

In my cultural geography class the prof. was talking about customs. He said "For example, it was customary back when my father was in college for guys to wear suits and ties to class". He looked right at me when he said this. It made me feel great.

Josephine

One Too Many
If anyone ever negatively comments upon something of mine that is not quite au currant, I so want to paraphrase Dr. McCoy: "I like it. Better than I like you." :D

Another good one is "I'm not here to decorate your world."

metropd

One Too Many
Josephine said:
If anyone ever negatively comments upon something of mine that is not quite au currant, I so want to paraphrase Dr. McCoy: "I like it. Better than I like you." :D

Another good one is "I'm not here to decorate your world."

I love IT, those are Great. The only problem is I couldn't work my way up to do anything but politley respond and explain. I wish I had a little hutzbah.

hargist

One of the Regulars
I got a particularly dumb/uninformed comment last week.

I attended The Magic Castle (a private magicians club in Los Angeles) with a group a friends. It's invitation only and you must be invited by a member. It's an elegant, eclectic place filled with all things magic. There is a dress code. Here it is direct from the Magic Castle website:

Men
  • Men must be in coat and tie (standard or bow tie)
  • Exceptions to the "tie rule" are: turtlenecks, bolo ties, ascots, jeweled collars, ruffled collars and banded collars.
  • Military Dress, ethnic and/or religious attire will also be allowed.
  • Men must be in coat and tie (standard or bow tie)
  • No zippered jackets, outdoor jackets, polo shirts, t-shirts, denim (or colored denim), shorts, sandals, flip flops, sneakers or sneaker-like shoes are allowed.
  • Leather jackets (with buttons) and leather pants are allowed.
  • No casual attire will be allowed. Think business attire!

Women
  • Women must be in a dress, cocktail dress, elegant skirt & blouse combination, pant suit with a matching jacket (think business suit), or evening pant suit ensemble. (A pant suit without a jacket, but with a very elegant matching top may be allowed with approval of an AMA Manager.)
  • Military Dress, ethnic and/or religious attire will also be allowed.
  • No outdoor jackets, polo shirts, denim (or colored denim), Capri pants, shorts, skorts, flip flops, sneakers or sneaker-like shoes are allowed.
  • No casual or inappropriate attire will be allowed. Think elegant attire!

Mick Jagger was actually denied entry one time because he wasn't wearing a tie.

It has been unbearably hot this past week, so I opted to wear my seersucker suit and a polka dot bow tie.

After viewing one of their many magic shows, my group passed by another group who was waiting for the next show. The lady friend I was with said she overheard some girl say "Only in LA" as she referred to my seersucker.

I really wish I had heard her because I would have said something like, "Obviously you are not well traveled."

WideBrimm said:
Ah yes, 1973 gas rationing. :eek: Inter-city driving was an adventure to see if one could arrive without running out of gas. Gas stations closed before dark, and on weekends and holidays. And --- oh what fun --- we played Pied Piper following delivery trucks to their destination :D

You forgot the wonderful wage and price controls as well. Interestingly, I never heard of the crazy new names they came up with to skirt the price controls. I never hear about a Butterball Steak cut of beef anymore. :rolleyes: Talk about insane. :eusa_doh: Oh how I loved the 70s---NOT! :rage:

Regards,

J

LindyTap

Familiar Face
Hi Everyone, This is my first post here at the lounge, but yesterday I wore my black Sinatra Milan Straw (which I got here in Detroit from Henry the Hatter) and someone complimented me on my "nice top hat." Is it just because it's black, or do people just associate any hat with a brim with a top hat?

fatwoul

Practically Family
I guess people want to say something they think is clever when they see someone dressed, behaving talking, walking, or whatever differently. I reckon they just don't have a good range of smart comments for hat wearers, because as yet there aren't many of us. Of course, the fact that there are few of us is what makes us different, and makes the comments appealing to those who deliver them, so we should probably always expect a fairly low calibre of "funny" remarks about our headwear.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
LindyTap said:
Hi Everyone, This is my first post here at the lounge, but yesterday I wore my black Sinatra Milan Straw (which I got here in Detroit from Henry the Hatter) and someone complimented me on my "nice top hat." Is it just because it's black, or do people just associate any hat with a brim with a top hat?
He just couldn't think of the indiana jones comment!

Empyrium

One of the Regulars
LindyTap said:

Welcome LindyTap.
We are waiting for a picture of your hat. :)
I think just like BegintheBeguine said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe