Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dreaded Dennis Semler

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Yeah, here it is ... a statement from my Tulsa County Treasurer collecting his annual property tax for the year 2007. Just like clockwork when you need your funds the most to prepare for the holidays, comes the big property tax bill from Mr. Semler for the amount of $1369.00 due by Dec. 31st. I don't know how time passed me by and I haven't prepared for this enough. [huh]
Car troubles, private school, insurance premiums, and monthly bills just kept me busy keeping up I guess.

Oh, I still got to buy that Wii I promised my kids for Christmas:)
Life goes on ...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Gilbey, may I suggest setting up a savings account especially for regular but infrequent expenses and have your bank make automatic deposits to it every month. You'll never be caught short.

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
There is a tax revolution going on in Indiana at the moment.

Property taxes went up (100% for some) and Hoosiers took to the capital.

Enough ruckus was raised that the governor had to step in. He is promising to lower property taxes permanently to 1%. There is a group that is advocating repealing ALL property taxes altogether this concept is picking up a lot of steam.

I am an ardent constitutionalist and I abhor certain taxes. Taxes that go against the American dream. Our experiment in liberty was founded on the right to own property, and the right to the fruits of your labor.

Property taxes basically say you really don't own your property, you merely lease it from your local government (to prove this, stop paying your property taxes and see how long you keep your land). ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Property (and with it, property tax) is totally inflated right now. I think it will have to come down for it to start selling again.

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
Gilbey, may I suggest setting up a savings account especially for regular but infrequent expenses and have your bank make automatic deposits to it every month. You'll never be caught short.

I just might have to do that, but what I've been doing so far was for my employer to deduct $100/month for U.S. Savings Bond. I've built up some funds on that area over the years but left it untouched :)

Hugh Beaumont said:
Property taxes basically say you really don't own your property, you merely lease it from your local government (to prove this, stop paying your property taxes and see how long you keep your land). ;)

I know what you mean :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld