Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I may I would like to drop another Dobbs in here I have had for a while. It has a Guild Edge and the felt is very easily shaped. Seems to be a nice hat. The liner is taped in which I thought was weird. Any ideas on age?

Thanks for any help!

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Dobbs FIFTEEN Homburg

This is a very special hat for me. For the longest time, I've wanted a very nice fedora or homburg in a midnight blue felt with a plum or black cherry ribbon. This hat fit the bill; a Dobbs FIFTEEN homburg in midnight blue, plum ribbon, and navy blue edge binding. And it's a long oval, something the seller overlooked under the sweatband! Check this one off the bucket list.

Everything about this hat says, "Class". Although the hat does have a few moth nibbles, they aren't even noticeable, so you wouldn't even know they're there. The FIFTEEN felt is dense and workable to just about any pinch and brim shape (within the limitations of the edge curl). A felt so deep blue it's almost black. The plum colored crown ribbon is soooo beautiful against the deep blue, and the navy edge binding finishes the brim just right. Inside is showcased with a very nice light cream colored liner and a soft, practically unworn, medium brown leather sweatband.

I'm very intrigued by the Dobbs crest at the top of the liner. The gold stamping is very unique. Brad, your decade input is valued. Thanks for looking, everyone! On with the specs...

Brand: Dobbs FIFTEEN Homburg
Color: Midnight blue w/ 2" plum ribbon and navy edge binding
Size: 7 1/4 LO
Crown: 5 5/8" OC, 52-block
Brim: 2 3/4" to the edge of the brim, 2 1/4" profile

8314B8F1.jpg

A85805E5.jpg

D5B2694F.jpg

F910F1D2.jpg

BA6E6E8C.jpg

1D129D74.jpg

AEE0C2DA.jpg

49AF929C.jpg

9ADD4F9C.jpg

615F5C8F.jpg

Rogera

Wow AnA that Homburg is sweet!! I have decided that my antiquing from now on will be focused on finding my first Homburg. You are right when you say everything about that lid says "class". Very nice

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
+1 to what Roger said. Very nice find, AnA! That's an early-'40s Homburg. The roundel in the liner tip was used through most of the '30s and into the war years of WWII, but sometime during or right after the war they switched back to the more typical Dobbs liner tip. The factory label is '40s. The patent refers to a new finishing process patent that John Garvan Cavanagh, John Cavanagh's son, received in early 1939.

Brad

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
A n A that is a very classy homburg! Beautiful find! I'm like Rogera here, from now on when I go into an antique or curio shop, I'll be focused on a homburg. My problem though will be my head size, I've been told I've got a head like a coal bucket!! :D You've got a great looking and well made hat. I like it. Wear it proudly!!!

Rogera

I found this Milan yesterday. Any idea on the age? I don't know if it is vintage or not. I just finally found one with a nice full crown and I love the straw color and the puggaree.

Last edited:
Dobbs branded boater

dobbsboater1.jpg

dobbsboater2.jpg

dobbsboater3.jpg

dobbsboater4.jpg

dobbsboater5.jpg

dobbsboater6.jpg

Unusual rolled edge is hollow and seamed invisibly on the underside of the brim. 2 3/8" brim is flexible and upward curved. 2 3/8" ribbon. Sold on eBay as a woman's hat, it was sold by a men's furnishing shop C.J. Mathis in Portland OR. References I found to this store in the trades are from mid 1920s and earlier. A non-Dobbs identified tag behind the sweatband shows the size and four digit number only. Very nicely made and in fine condition.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Great catch, Alan! I thought about bidding on it, but forgot later. Beautiful condition, and dates 1917-1923. Too cool! I thought it might be the normal-sized cousin to this hat:

I'm not sure the brim is quite the same, but this is such a rare style that they have to be related a bit.

Brad

Thanks Brad! It was a heads up from one of our esteemed auction watchers... and a very reasonable buy it now listing. Very similar to the giant hat in styling - the brim curl is executed beautifully, the edge lined up with the weaving rows so carefully as to be almost invisible. Would Dobbs have owned the factory where these were made?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld