Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

Wolfen

One of the Regulars
The second one doesnt have a style name anywhere so I dont know what it is. It is a caramel colour but is unfortunately pretty beat up. It is also a size 7 1/8 and is the tiniest bit too big for me. I think I will be sending this one to Optimo for some restoration and may have them resize it at the same time. The original owner stamped his initials (WHL) into the sweatband which I think gives it a little bit of history.

S8001535.jpg

S8001538.jpg

S8001542.jpg

S8001545.jpg

S8001547.jpg

S8001551.jpg

icemanxxxv

Familiar Face
Dobbs Jet 707

I picked it up off ebay before Christmas and it sat in the box behind the tree till Christmas morning. The hat is flawless without any signs of being worn. Still has full paper store reorder tag in it. It's Saber in color and is a fantastic hat. I'll post pictures whe I get a chance. Does anyone know the vintage of the Dobbs Jet 707?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
jeffconnors said:
Any Dobbs fans out there know the Date of manufacture on this dobbs....Brown sweat, with a smallish brim, and red in the logo..im confused...maybe late 50's? maybe....

Mid-1950s; looks to be a nice hat.

icemanxxxv said:
I picked it up off ebay before Christmas and it sat in the box behind the tree till Christmas morning. The hat is flawless without any signs of being worn. Still has full paper store reorder tag in it. It's Saber in color and is a fantastic hat. I'll post pictures whe I get a chance. Does anyone know the vintage of the Dobbs Jet 707?

You'd think the Jet 707 model would date to at least the '60s, but all the ones I've seen were post-1972, so my best working theory is that this is a Koracorp or later model. I believe it's still in production, too.

On a side note, icemanxxxv, I see you're in Smithville. I know that area well, or at least I used to. My father's hometown is Plattsburg, and I spent many a summer there, as well as at my uncle's farm on the north end of the lake, by Mecca. The lake wasn't there at first, but I can remember as it slowly filled in. Used to do a lot of canoeing and camping with my uncle in that area.

Brad

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
jpbales said:
The Dobbs Westward's lining has the little "silk screen" (I'm not exactly sure what it's called) covering the Dobbs logo, and I was wondering if anyone knows a) what it's called b) the time period when it was used c) what it's purpose is
Thanks!

I like this question..any one feel like giving it a go? Think hes talking about the "onion skin" covering rather then the plastic ones...
lining-1.jpg

Lloyd

A-List Customer
My first Dobbs

Here are some pics from my first Dobbs.
Any ideas as to how old this is?
Any info would be appreciated

Overall it's in very good shape but the sweat is disintegrating rapidly. My forehead was covered with little black flakes after wearing it for 15 minutes.
It's stamped Dobbs and Crowleys on the band and has someone's phone number written on the lining.

This is the biggest size 7 1/2 I've ever come across. I'm a big 7 1/2 or a small 7 5/8 and this is big on me even with the original shims under the sweat.

DobbsFedoraprofile.jpg

DobbsFedorabowonmyhead.jpg

DobbsFedorastocklabel.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lloyd,

It's definitely post-1972, and most likely 1980s or newer. Sounds like you'll have to get the sweatband replaced to wear it.

Brad

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Thanks for the info. It's already at the local hatters for a new sweatband.
What specifically are you using to date the hat?
I'm new to this and looking for all the tips I can get.
Thanks

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
Lloyd said:
Thanks for the info. It's already at the local hatters for a new sweatband.
What specifically are you using to date the hat?
I'm new to this and looking for all the tips I can get.
Thanks

The tag is a dead give away, also the "jet 707" model i think is newish...
However most of the tags that I have looked at are printed on using a dot matrix printer soo this one maybe on the early side of that era..mabey mid 70's im guessing here not an expert..

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Hankachif-find

Great find, I think, at an antique mall in college town this weekend.

Dobbs Fifth Ave. Fedora

Hankachif felt

very pretty dark green, very smooth felt

2 1/8 inch brim

4 3/4 inche crown, very round in open crown

1 inch black ribbon

Originally sold at Jano-Downs in Denver.

This is a very classy-looking hat and wonderful, expensive-feeling felt

Sorry, but I haven't figured out how to post photos yet, but it looked brand new.

I'm crazy about it, so I don't really care, but I'm curious of what the age might be?

Any ideas?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Sam Craig said:
Great find, I think, at an antique mall in college town this weekend.

Dobbs Fifth Ave. Fedora

Hankachif felt

very pretty dark green, very smooth felt

2 1/8 inch brim

4 3/4 inche crown, very round in open crown

1 inch black ribbon

Originally sold at Jano-Downs in Denver.

This is a very classy-looking hat and wonderful, expensive-feeling felt

Sorry, but I haven't figured out how to post photos yet, but it looked brand new.

I'm crazy about it, so I don't really care, but I'm curious of what the age might be?

Any ideas?
They made them for quite a long period. If you could find a way to post the liner, size tag and/or factory stamp as well as the overall hat that would be really helpful.
Try this posting instruction:http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23495

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I'm imparied

In the process of switching out computers, so everything's fouled up right now, plus I'm just not too comfortable in this century.

It has a white liner, the Dobbs crest is horizontal with a red background, gold lettering.

Sadly, the sweat tag is missing.

The size is 7 1/2 with no metric size listed.

All that is left of the sweat tag shows the size and a "to duplicate" code, both of which are hand written.

The rest of that tag is missing ... though the hat is in great shape.

In the front of the sweat — which, by the way, appears to be solid leather, not "bonded" — there are two original price tags from this Denver company. The first was for $11.95 and then there is a "spec" tag at $7.95.

No bar coding.

Thanks for any input.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Please don't Jack Kilby down!

Sam Craig said:
In the process of switching out computers, so everything's fouled up right now, plus I'm just not too comfortable in this century.

It has a white liner, the Dobbs crest is horizontal with a red background, gold lettering.

Sadly, the sweat tag is missing.

The size is 7 1/2 with no metric size listed.

All that is left of the sweat tag shows the size and a "to duplicate" code, both of which are hand written.

The rest of that tag is missing ... though the hat is in great shape.

In the front of the sweat — which, by the way, appears to be solid leather, not "bonded" — there are two original price tags from this Denver company. The first was for $11.95 and then there is a "spec" tag at $7.95.

No bar coding.

Thanks for any input.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Kilby de man

Jack's not in town, right now.

If he was, I guess he wouldn't be too helpful.

I've resolved to get better on the computer.

Of course, I've resolved to lose weight, too[huh]

I'm a continuing disappointment to the father of the microchip, I know.:eek:fftopic:

Sorry!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I may have posted these in the Cavanagh thread as well, but they look nice here.

1932dobbs001.jpg

1933newcavanaghedge001.jpg

1934dobbscavway001.jpg

1934dobbsnewcavway001.jpg

1934dobbsstrawcavway001.jpg

1934newcavanaghway001.jpg

1935dobbsguild001.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I may have posted these in the Cavanagh thread as well, but they look nice here.

1935dobbsguild001.jpg

Lefty, thanks for these! Interesting that the "Guild" model had the "Cavanagh-edge" and down the road Dobbs used "Guild Edge" for the cavanagh edged hats.

B

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Figured I couldn't go wrong picking this one up for my girlfriend - worst case we put a nicer ribbon on it:

That's some ugly brim flanging...but nice enough hat body.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
That's some ugly brim flanging...but nice enough hat body.

Yeah, plus it looks like it has the sewn cut straw at the back, which was common because of some of the weird designs on women's Montecristis. At least it will save me from any temptation to send it to Optimo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe