Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I got the strangest comment so far yesterday, not an Indy comment but still. I was at work (Lifeguard) and I was called Don Draper by one of the other guards. Normally this wouldn't be strange. However, I was wearing an official Aquatics Baseball cap, swim shorts, and no shirt. I fail to see how that evoked mad men.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
I got the strangest comment so far yesterday, not an Indy comment but still. I was at work (Lifeguard) and I was called Don Draper by one of the other guards. Normally this wouldn't be strange. However, I was wearing an official Aquatics Baseball cap, swim shorts, and no shirt. I fail to see how that evoked mad men.

Oddly enough this happens to me sometimes too, but the comments usually refer to why I'm so dressed up even at the beach. By the way, I wear board shorts (the latest style of bathing suit) with no shirt and shoes. In other words, nothing out of the ordinary. My best guess is that my hair is gelled with a part and looks 40s or 50s and this is where the comment is directed.

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
I often get people humming the Indy theme tune as I walk past. But I also wear bowlers, homburgs and panamas as well and those hats all come with their lookalike comments too e.g. Charlie Chaplin, Winston Churchill, Poirot etc. This is what happens when hats go out of fashion and the public can only identify the styles by film characters.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
It's kind of too bad, but I'm wearing my Akubra Fed IV less these days because of the Indiana Jones association. I tend to wear my alternative hats a lot more, but I still see a reason for me owning that hat. I'll still wear it hiking, maybe hunting, and even to Disneyland, or if I'm going to put together an Indiana Jones costume. Kudos to those that can wear Indy-style brown fedoras without minding the associations so much, though.

Very strange, maybe he thought that you looked like the actor, John Hamm?

Oddly enough this happens to me sometimes too, but the comments usually refer to why I'm so dressed up even at the beach. By the way, I wear board shorts (the latest style of bathing suit) with no shirt and shoes. In other words, nothing out of the ordinary. My best guess is that my hair is gelled with a part and looks 40s or 50s and this is where the comment is directed.

Hmm, could be the hair...

I wouldn't mind the Don Draper reference, myself.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I had a Indy comment yesterday wearing my brown panama when I walked into the video control booth before doing camera work. Don't get it much but brown hat causes the instant reaction in some people.With my last name being
Wiser I became use to the "smart" comment. Hey "Bud Wiser". Being a person who has had this type of comment I never make such comments to someone else.

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I get one almost every day on my college campus, mostly a humming of the IJ theme lol.

Fortunately, I have developed a coping method to deal with all those comments on my hats: an MP3 player and a set of headphones :D.

Last edited:

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
It's funny how people recognise the fedora (or anything similar) to be an Indy hat but so many people would swear blind Indy's hat doesn't have a bow. And how many of you have come across people who insist that Indy's hat is made of leather? They don't just think that - they KNOW it and refuse to believe you when you tell them it's made of felt.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Maybe that's your nickname now?

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
My buddies and I were on our way from a reenactment. We were for the most part wearing banded collars, wool pants with suspenders, vests, one was wearing his frock coat..... we stopped at a gas station to fuel up when a couple long haired plug-uglys saw us and said, "Dude check it out...Amish!"

Well after three days of shooting and dying and playing the part, we were just too tired. But I just had to say something.... After all spite is a weakness of mine.

So I looked over at the guy, smiled and said, "Holy S#it, these vans are nicer than my old horse and buggy... Damn!"

The look on his face was priceless!

My buddies started laughing and I couldn't keep a strait face.

My buddies and I were on our way from a reenactment. We were for the most part wearing banded collars, wool pants with suspenders, vests, one was wearing his frock coat..... we stopped at a gas station to fuel up when a couple long haired plug-uglys saw us and said, "Dude check it out...Amish!"

Well after three days of shooting and dying and playing the part, we were just too tired. But I just had to say something.... After all spite is a weakness of mine.

So I looked over at the guy, smiled and said, "Holy S#it, these vans are nicer than my old horse and buggy... Damn!"

The look on his face was priceless!

My buddies started laughing and I couldn't keep a strait face.

Good one! Back when I first started re-enacting, before the 125th anniversary battles, our group was in line at a local chain restaurant & a kid nearby looks to his mother & says, "Look Mom, REAL Po' Folks!"....

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Years ago a good sized group of us from Fort Larned ... central Kansas National Historic Site ... had just finished a multiple day historic march across the old Overland Dispatch Trail in a pretty rugged part of the state.... cross country ... virtually no support and it was triple-digit heat with little water.

We were on our way back home and stopped at a truck stop to get a bite to eat and everyone was staring at us.... we weren't still in complete uniform, though some of us had a few parts on ... pull over shirts, etc.

Anyway, I excused myself to the restroom and looked in a mirror for the first time in days .... we'd been living in campaign hats and kepis and with them off we DID look like the runners up in a Charles Manson lookalike contest!

We were probably lucky they served us!

Sam

fenris

One of the Regulars
This picture would probably get a lot of Indy comments... Even without me wearing the full gear. Hehe.

ek021.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Fenris

You da man!

You deserve some Indy comments for that one. Where are you?

I have shots from Copan, Honduras with great Mayan statues, but I wore an old, old Stetson OR in a "gus" crease ... which was very popular with the Hondurans, by the way, especially the Caballeros!

Sam

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Just to tag one more post on the reenacting costume stories...

I used to do living history at a tobacco farm in VA and we shared an access road with the CIA. You can imagine the confusion when, after making a wrong turn, a bunch of 18th century tenant farmers come rolling up into CIA headquarters.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Fenris

You da man!

You deserve some Indy comments for that one. Where are you?

I have shots from Copan, Honduras with great Mayan statues, but I wore an old, old Stetson OR in a "gus" crease ... which was very popular with the Hondurans, by the way, especially the Caballeros!

Sam

Actually, that pic was taken a few weeks ago at a local amusement park here in the Philippines. It's our little version of a poor man's Disneyland. That was in a section called 'Adventureland'... even the restrooms' facade were made to look like ancient temples. Come to think of it, if I remember correctly, the restrooms were just to my left (right-side of the pic)...

fenris

One of the Regulars
I think it a sharp pic! I could spend all day in an area like that with folks in vintage and taking pics!

It was too hot to wear a long sleeved shirt... I even brought a jacket because when we left home it looked like it was going to rain. Turned out it only rained where I live and not at the amusement park.

It was soooooooooo hot that day that we didn't get to really ride on most of the... errr... rides! We all just sat on the benches hoping for a big cloud to cover up the sun.

If you like vintage... here are more pics from another part of the amusement park.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
It was too hot to wear a long sleeved shirt... I even brought a jacket because when we left home it looked like it was going to rain. Turned out it only rained where I live and not at the amusement park.

It was soooooooooo hot that day that we didn't get to really ride on most of the... errr... rides! We all just sat on the benches hoping for a big cloud to cover up the sun.

If you like vintage... here are more pics from another part of the amusement park.

Very sharp!
That location is just asking for a photo shoot!
Get yourself a young lady, a couple buddies to play thugs, put on your gear and adlib some action! Don't even worry about the jacket. Just go casual khaki shirt and pants. Put the young lady in a sundress of some kind and have your buddies wear t-shirts, jeans, 8piece hats and a black watch cap... Then just have fun with the drama and adventure! When one person isn't in the shot, have them work the camera. But the most important thing is to have fun!

Hmmm. Now I need to get out and do some pics!!

Thanks for the ideas!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I don't often get Indy comments, but this one was a hoot earlier in the week. My job involves a lot of educational outreach throughout the state, a little into MN and Iowa, and we interact with kids from preschool through college. One child at an elementary school in rural SD said "Bye, Indy!" as we left the building. It was only out of enthusiasm that he said it, and c'mon he's only eight, so it was definitely received positively!
...but this is the hat I was wearing:
028copyv.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe