Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Vanessa

One Too Many
I'm hoping the movie will retain some of the story's charm. . .but with everything Hollywood-ized these days, it will probably be all cgi & sight gags.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Vanessa said:
I'm hoping the movie will retain some of the story's charm. . .but with everything Hollywood-ized these days, it will probably be all cgi & sight gags.

I agree! I'm hopeful because I want things to look forward to, but I realize it's a 99% lost cause when it comes to studio made films! :eusa_doh:

I just finished a collection of Fitzgerald short stories that were so good! I am not really a fan of the Great Gatsby, but was really affected by the short, Head and Shoulders!

Vanessa

One Too Many
mike said:
I just finished a collection of Fitzgerald short stories that were so good! I am not really a fan of the Great Gatsby, but was really affected by the short, Head and Shoulders!

I love that his short stories are all available online. It makes for a great lunch breaktime - snack & a story.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Vanessa said:
I love that his short stories are all available online. It makes for a great lunch breaktime - snack & a story.

Sure, although I don't like reading from a screen so much. I treasure my subway commuting time for reading! I actually like when my commute takes longer because I get to read more!

Vanessa

One Too Many
I can only tolerate short stories on the screen. I don't have a long commute to work anymore, which is good, but has seriously shortened my weekly reading time.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I am really looking forward to this film. I've read a couple of advance raves, and it sounds promising.

(I found the story pretty underwhelming, but since I think that Fitzgerald is the most overrated Great American Author of the last century, that's not surprising.)

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I've heard that director David Fincher has done some amazing CGI to make Brad Pitt's aging more realistic....stuff like digitally grafting Pitt's face onto actors of different body types to depict the aging process. I'm excited (because I am a total Fincher fangirl) but wary, because I've read somewhere that the extremely long running time might work against the film in distribution.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I will reserve my opinion on the upcoming film, shakeshead

mike said:

A bit :eek:fftopic:
I also like his work. Have you read "The Crack-Up"?(1932). Fitzgerald wrote this on a low period in his life,from the safety of the thirties looking back nostalgically at The Jazz Age.

In "My Lost city" :

"For the moment I can only cry out that I have lost my splendid mirage.
Come back, come back, O glittering and white!

Ernest Hemingway was right when he compared this writer's talent to the pattern made by the dust on a butterfly's wing!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Newsweek's reviewer says that the film totally jettisons Fitzgerald's story with the exception that Button ages backwards. I think proof that F. Scott is one of America's greatest writers is that a good movie of his work has never been produced. The Newsweek article cites the fact that Fitzgerald's technique is truly literary and cannot be transferred to a visual medium.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Rover & I caught the film at the Ziegfeld in NYC last nite.
thumbs up!
Strong charming performances. The movie is long but doesnt lag.
Yes, theres a lot of gorgeous CGI & makeup that totally sweeps you away into seeing the actors in various states of youthful splendor & physical decrepitude.
Director David Fincher does a great job of depicting the life of a man aging backwards & how it effects his loved ones. Brad Pitt's New Orleans accent never seems contrived. Its a lovely melodic flow to his voice that sets the pace for this epic.
3113128830_02bb4ec7e0.jpg
3112297773_d5fbcbddb8.jpg
3113129384_d3f89a779e.jpg
3113129996_3dd1263b3f.jpg
3113129690_3417693520.jpg
3112298991_a692b9f9c7.jpg
3113130672_6b50c06856.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
MrBern said:
Rover & I caught the film at the Ziegfeld in NYC last nite.
thumbs up!
Strong charming performances. The movie is long but doesnt lag.
Yes, theres a lot of gorgeous CGI & makeup that totally sweeps you away into seeing the actors in various states of youthful splendor & physical decrepitude.
Director David Fincher does a great job of depicting the life of a man aging backwards & how it effects his loved ones. Brad Pitt's New Orleans accent never seems contrived. Its a lovely melodic flow to his voice that sets the pace for this epic.

sounds very promising! :)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Nothing less than amazing...

Bern's review pretty well sums it up. It was intriguing, engrossing, and sublime. Cate Blanchett and Brad Pitt are perfect...

I haven't read the story, but have a theory that the screenplay came about because the author had this idea -- a person aging backwards physically -- and then searched to see if anyone else had thought of this and... viola! Fitzgerald's story popped up on Google.

Decodence

A-List Customer
Having read most of FSF's work, the first thing which popped into my mind when I saw a preview for this was "This will not end well."

just_me

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
Actually, no, it's no coincidence. A film based on the story has been in development since the early 90s. See the Wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curious_Case_of_Benjamin_Button_(film)

Anyway, I'm very excited about this flick, and encouraged by the good reviews here. I will be going to see it with my kids sometime this coming week, and I'll offer my review afterwards...
Don't know how old your kids are, but I think it's rated PG-13.

BTW, bring tissues. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe