Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks for the tip on the sandpaper Dogman. I finished pouncing TJ's dimensional brim and then spent about 2 hours pouncing a Nutria blend raw body that I bought from Winchester a year or more ago. I used 100, 180, 220, 320, 400, then used hobby sandpaper at 600, and something even finer that was not marked.

At each step, I was sure the felt could not get any softer to the touch, but it did. Also, the body became increasingly more pliable.

What a great learning experience. This will be my first hat from scratch, as a gift for my brother. He wants a hardy hat, so I'm leaving it pretty heavyweight, but can't wait to make myself a lightweight - maybe a traveller or two.

Here's the unfinished inside tip, and the pounced body.

8ypehu4a.jpg

ydegy3am.jpg

Great fun!

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

TomS

One Too Many
Vintage Borsalino hburg conversion. Went for a thin ribbon look on this one. Ribbon treatment is replicated from a vita felt I had . Finger curl brim and pinch front. Nice moldable felt on this borso . Original sweat was shot , there was a stain I managed to remove too with some patience.
Color is Opal. Nos Vintage grosgrain is same.

Very nice, Bond! Looks terrific!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Just got a few more pics on my Resistol / Indy conversion from my buddy, John Galt. He's basically finished except for sewing in the liner and putting a couple stitches in the hat ribbon. Here's John G's version of Indy's ROTLA fedora. I think he really nailed the brim! Looks great! btw, John G., I may be sending you another hat for a Hardy conversion from the movie, "Lawless"! ;)

nisc.jpg

Indy Conversion Pics 02.jpg

Indy Conversion Pics 03.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
I've actually puffed the bow out to look more like the movie hat, but I will be doing double wishbones in future. :)

any8evas.jpg

y5uvu2uz.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
You really should try it on during daytime, too ;)

A great conversion, and I like John's contribution to the hatting industry: "The double whishbone bow". You should both be very happy. Looking forward to the noggin shots.

Ha! There'll be plenty of noggin shots when I get it! This hat won't be coming off for a while! ;)

John Galt

Vendor
It looks absolutely great John! I can't wait to wear it!

TJ

I've boxed it up for mailing. It will go out tomorrow with the "bonus" hat (a Knox 15 Westlite for being so patient) to follow in a separate box.

JG

John Galt

Vendor
Here's the gill style bow for my grey Stetson Nutria conversion and the form fitting sweatband. Still needs the little bow too.

zynu4u7a.jpg

a9e9a8e3.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
TJ

I've boxed it up for mailing. It will go out tomorrow with the "bonus" hat (a Knox 15 Westlite for being so patient) to follow in a separate box.

JG

Thanks John! Can't wait to get the Westlite too! That'll get some head time as well. In the meantime I'll be sending you a 4X Open Road to do next! ;)

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks Dogman! It was fun, much like origami. There is a lot of room for originality here, and I look forward to doing more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe