Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I got my 'Stetson Wrangler Conversion' back today from Henry the Hatter in Detroit. I am so pleased with it, I am beside myself. When I went to pick it up, 'Joedahat' was in the shop, and asked me..so what kind of crease would you like (it was open bash). I told him, 'Give me that 'Joedahat' teardrop. In a matter of minutes, he not only creased it, but smooged that hat so it felt like it had been build for me to begin with! I am taking a black Stetson 'El Patron' to them tomarrow, and will let him work his majic on it also!

Before:
66983-m-0.jpg

66984-s-0.jpg

After:
71254-s-0.jpg

71255-s-0.jpg

71256-m-0.jpg

Last edited:

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
I got my 'Stetson Wrangler Conversion' back today from Henry the Hatter in Detroit. I am so pleased with it, I am beside myself. When I went to pick it up, 'Joedahat' was in the shop, and asked me..so what kind of crease would you like (it was open bash). I told him, 'Give me that 'Joedahat' teardrop. In a matter of minutes, he not only creased it, but smooged that hat so it felt like it had been build for me to begin with! I am taking a black Stetson 'El Patron' to them tomarrow, and will let him work his majic on it also!

Before:
66983-m-0.jpg

66984-s-0.jpg

After:
71254-s-0.jpg

71255-s-0.jpg

71256-m-0.jpg

Nice lid,it looks like they did a good job!How much did they charge you?Did you go to the Metro store or the Southfield store?
CC

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Well, I bought a hat box since I'm moving to Frankfurt DE, and I needed a white hat brush also. All total it was $80. Brim 2.5, crown is 4.5 in front, 4 in back.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Here is the other hat that the guy at that place in Chicago said would not be worth converting. The the tan hat in the previous blog was only a 5X, cheap hat, it cost about $75 at the Stetson Outlet store in St.Joe MO a couple years back. This latest conversion is a Stetson El Patron. 30X, 100% beaver. It cost me $325 on sale about 6 years ago, but I only wore it twice. I took it to Henry the Hatter in Detroit, downtown store. They disassembled the hat, blocked it, reinstalled the primo Stetson sweat, and trimmed the brim. This was done by their hatter Charlie. Charlie has been there over 50 years woking on hats.

Then their manager, one of our lounge members, 'Joedahat', manafactured a band from vintage ribbon, installed it, the sweat and liner, and creased this very soft plush hat in a nice soft teardrop. He then reinstalled the Stetson sterling silver pin, fit the hat to my noggin..oh yeah...ONE WEEK. $65 for the renovation, plus they thre in a stetson hat box, since mine didnt have to be cleaned. Now I'm sure they aren't as busy as that place in Chicago that sells that $1000 hat...but they do have two stores, and there are customers in both whenever I go there. They are MY hatter from now on, even when I move to Germany next month!

71383-m-0.jpg

71379-m-0.jpg

71381-m-0.jpg

71384-m-0.jpg

71386-m-0.jpg

71385-m-0.jpg

Last edited:

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Well, again this and the other conversion are hats that I had in closet. I have spent $130 for 2 hats I can wear, with boxes, and a new brush for the tan hat. And I didnt have to put up with anyones rude bull***t! Life is too short to deal with rude people. Especially when you pay them to perform a service. I'm an ole southern boy, and sometimes I wonder how any of the merchants in certain areas of the country have any bussiness at all? But after Henry's figured out what I wanted, they have been great. Even emailing me photos as job progressed for approval.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I fully understand wanting to deal with polite, as well as competent, merchants. I feel the same way. I will pay a little more for quality service and good results. Wear that beauty and enjoy!

Here is the other hat that the guy at that place in Chicago said would not be worth converting. The the tan hat in the previous blog was only a 5X, cheap hat, it cost about $75 at the Stetson Outlet store in St.Joe MO a couple years back. This latest conversion is a Stetson El Patron. 30X, 100% beaver. It cost me $325 on sale about 6 years ago, but I only wore it twice. I took it to Henry the Hatter in Detroit, downtown store. They disassembled the hat, blocked it, reinstalled the primo Stetson sweat, and trimmed the brim. This was done by their hatter Charlie. Charlie has been there over 50 years woking on hats.

Then their manager, one of our lounge members, 'Joedahat', manafactured a band from vintage ribbon, installed it, the sweat and liner, and creased this very soft plush hat in a nice soft teardrop. He then reinstalled the Stetson sterling silver pin, fit the hat to my noggin..oh yeah...ONE WEEK. $65 for the renovation, plus they thre in a stetson hat box, since mine didnt have to be cleaned. Now I'm sure they aren't as busy as that place in Chicago that sells that $1000 hat...but they do have two stores, and there are customers in both whenever I go there. They are MY hatter from now on, even when I move to Germany next month!

Looks like you got a reasonable deal from a reasonable dealer, and a hat you'll actually wear now. I'd imagine it elicits its share of "nice hat" comments, eh?

Brando11

A-List Customer
Very, very nice, azhiker. I had a Stetson Drifter converted by the Chicago shop you mention, and I like yours better.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Thanks, well, that shop in Chicago ( I wont mention their name and give them advertising) told me..hey, I would not waste your time on something like that. Just come in and buy a new hat! Thats ok if you just want to let a nice piece of felt just sit in the closet, and have money to throw away. I am going to Chicago next month in route to Germany. I'll have my whole family with me and be there a couple of days. I might, go by Hats-Plus, as those guys are gems, but no need for me to set foot in that other place!

fmw

One Too Many
Hats Plus is one of the largest hatters in the U.S. They have literally 10's of thousands of hats in stock. I think you will enjoy the visit. By the way, I'm going to call Henry the Hatter to get a quote on restoring my vintage Akubra. It needs a liner and hat band.

Last edited:

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I bought my first fedora at Hats Plus. They literally had dozens of hats out for me to try on..Im talking dozens of hats in style, color I was looking for. Be sure to tell pual (owner) or Joe (manager) you saw their work on Fedora Lounge. It never hurts to grease the wheeels.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Interesting. I've never had a problem with "that Chicago hat shop." Just went there yesterday to have a repair and a renovation done. No problems at all.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
They might be ok for 'regulars' but as i said befre, the man on the phone was as rude as anyone has ever been to me, and much more rude than I would allow anyone I was going to spend with to be. who knows, maybe they just have too much bussiness, and they are trying to burn off folks to keep overtime down!

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I am not sure I would call myself a "regular." I've only been there four or five times and I've never bought a new hat, just had repairs and conversions done. Maybe you just hit somebody having a bad day? I don't know. They are the closest hatter to me, in any case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe