Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
So I've worked up an interest in flat caps and was wondering about sizing. I'm a size 6 7/8 or 7 in fedoras and so I think a medium would work. Do flat caps typically shrink a tad similar to many fedoras? Would it be better to buy slightly big than slightly small? Thanks!

I'd say better to buy slightly small, especially if your cap's sweatband is made of cloth rather than leather. Slightly small caps can stretch, but slightly large ones can't easily be reduced.

m0nk

One Too Many
I'd say better to buy slightly small, especially if your cap's sweatband is made of cloth rather than leather. Slightly small caps can stretch, but slightly large ones can't easily be reduced.
Excellent, thank you! The sweat is cloth, so I have now placed the order with the small size.

British capper

Houndstooth cap with nice proportions...no maker markings, older looking brass Prym snap, British size tag. Seller guessed 1960s... could be right?

britcap1.jpg

britcap2.jpg

britcap3.jpg

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Excellent, thank you! The sweat is cloth, so I have now placed the order with the small size.
Eek, I hate caps or hats that are too tight. Gives me a headache, and apparently tight hats can contribute to baldness. A little snug maybe alright if it has some stretch, but there are a number of newsboy brands that go up in small increments and you can get pretty close to the right size.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I once found a cap in good condition that had an adjustable size sweatband, which was made of cloth as I recall,...brand name was Jiffy. Didn't buy it though as the price was fairly high.
Was that a true vintage brand, or more modern and generic? Did I maybe miss out on a rare find? :eusa_doh:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
MattDeckard-vi.jpg

Yes only the Dandy class should wear caps. Ruffians should not be allowed to purchase them.:p

I also hope that we will see better repo's of vintage caps also due to high prices in vintage ones.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
You probably won't approve of the rest of my attire, as I am more ruffian than dandy - that and I've spent all my money on custom guitars and microphones - and my amateur musical skills and atrocious singing might grate (turn off the sound if you need to), but a mate told me that my Zasu cap I am wearing in this is hideous and I should send it back. I can't understand why, other than I've pulled it down to the side, and maybe that way of wearing it doesn't suit me... but I love this cap - it's big. What's your opinion?

[video=youtube;OIurE1dwxUk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIurE1dwxUk[/video]

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Thanks. I notice the difference between the hp and zasu cap is the hp has like a rivet button, where-as the Zasu button is like a loop of metal. Maybe I can squash the loop or something. I like the feel of the cap though. Kind of feel secure under that big brim - can hide under it :p I haven't been able to do that flop to one side successfuly with any other newsboy I own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82