Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
From a WW2 US EM/NCO Service cap. I see this mostly on uniform caps, but have seen this before on civilian caps and occasionally on hats.
I feel this is the most comfortable (and easy to do) way for a cap sweatband.

If cotton thread breaks with time, a sturdy silk thread (if synthetics are to be avoided) would be a better option, non?

SAM_7284.jpg

(This specimen of course has fake/textile leather, which has worn off at the edge.)

Last edited:

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Thank you for that, though I must admit I'm not able to make out what I'm looking at in the right pic... Is it sitting in front of some caning? Not part of the hat, I presume! :)

Metatron

One Too Many
I've been in contact with Polish cap maker Sterkowski, and thought they deserved a mention.
They have released a new line of caps with some very nice features, and to my eye 1930s proportions:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/HatterShop?ref=pr_shop_more
I think the light grey is the perfect cap colour, totally versatile and understated.

I was excited to see these, as I prefer the round style of cap as worn by this fellow to the angular ones.

Will certainly order one soon and post a small review.

Last edited:

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Hey TwoTypes, THANKS for the pix from the LOC - that is an amazing archive and I appreciate you cherry-picking for us!

I like what I've seen of the Sterkowski caps. Before I started collecting vintage ones, I was considering one or two of their designs. It looks like they are made well, and I'll bet the factory has been around since the early part of the last century.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe