Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Yes, fascinating find, Brad. I'm wondering what a Kersarge (sp? Kearsarge) looked like. Probably a namesake from the Civil War ship... I've climbed Mt. Kearsarge many times during our summer visits to the Sunapee region of NH.

adouglasmhor

Familiar Face
I just remembered who still wear bowlers. Strathclyde Police Female Officers.
female-cops.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
For the poem - Change "all the go" to "all the rage", and various names of hats to names for jeans, chinos, khakis, etc., toss in a few mannequins, and that's an Old Navy commercial.

fmw

One Too Many
I would say the police superintendant in Strathclyde has good taste.........in hats.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1920's The Magic Hat Derby

This weekend I finally brought this derby home from a local vintage clothing store. The felt is absolutely immaculate and the brim is really short. I really like the shorter brims with vintage bowlers. The sweatband is still very soft and and pliable. The Union sticker dates the hat to pre-1934 for sure. Heres some pics:

DSC05481.jpg

DSC05482.jpg

DSC05486.jpg

DSC05483.jpg

DSC05487.jpg

DSC05475.jpg

DSC05474.jpg

DSC05473.jpg

DSC05471.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
wow! Great find, Josh!

Thanks, Bowlerman! I tried to find some information about "The Magic Hat" and the manufacture and came up with nothing. I will say that they really made a fine hat. Everything from the sweatband leather to the pouncing on the felt is high quality all the way.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I checked "western hat manufacturing" and "western hat mfg". No worthwhile results from the second search, two relevant obits from the first.
one
two

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I checked "western hat manufacturing" and "western hat mfg". No worthwhile results from the second search, two relevant obits from the first.
one
two

Thanks for the research, Lefty! Both Obits are really interesting. One of them says that Charles H. Whiffen was also an officer in the Straw-Ellsworth Hat company. I know Ive seen that brand before, but I cant remember where.

I decided to make a group shot (similar to my Homburg one) of my Bowlers, Derbies and Melones. I sold 3 or 4 along the way but have one on the way.

5878542621_6acb46c0ff_o.gif

5879104970_9a82b1526b_o.gif

5879104998_d78e677a38_o.gif

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
AWESOME, Steve. So impressive. I can't match your collection, but I think I can contribute for variety... coming soon. ;)

groupshots00322.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I'll label by vertical column, starting at the top left.
column 1. Scala wool, Bailey wool, Bailey panama
2. Knudsen Bat Masterson wool custom, Clearwater custom, Tim Bender custom
3. Mallory 1934, Baron Hats dark moss custom, navy blue stingy by unkown maker
4. Texas Hatters custom brisa, Mallory Torino
5. Kaufman 20s-30s, Dobbs of unknown (to me) vintage, brown wool thing (no sweatband or liner)

the closest D'Orsay curl by modern hatter in my possession is the Baron, but it's still pretty far from correct. Call those modern curls "westernized," I guess. But it doesn't bother me all that much-- I still like and wear 'em.

Bowlerman, Damn nice collection! I really like the different colors and styles!

Here's to the Bowler, Derby, Melone, Bombetta and chapeau Mélon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe