Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Yesterday I promised you a hat in the "what hat are you waiting for" thread. Here it is. And it is a bit of a special one I must say. This one came with the box as it were, because it was the box I bought and didn't really ask about the hat (thinking it was a women's hat). What I got was more than a nice surprise. Borsalino in black size 58. Raw edge brim at 10cm and (now) open crown at 15cm (!). A Borsalino Western as it were. Even larger in dimensions than the Barbisio Cowboy I have posted before. On the auction pictures and when it arrived the hat had a telescope crown, but for brushing and steaming it I took that out and took the pictures with an open crown. The mark of the old crease can still be seen (I think it was in there for a long long time). The box is original to the hat.
Now to the provenance of the hat (and a bit of speculation). The hat was sold by Henri Beer of Dordrecht (hatter and outfitter). The shop opened in 1931 and moved to address on the box in 1940, so the hat is from after that date. The shop still exists today (selling menswear). Judging by the box and label I would say 1940's therefore. It was sent to Rector vd Heyden of Huize St Jacobs in Dordrecht, a hospital and monastery. At some point however he must have sold it or given it to a mr. C. Bousardt, because I found a small note in between the sweatband that the hat was property of that person. There is a link between the two, because mr Bousardt was in fact Cees Bousardt (1926-2007) of Kerkelijke Kunst Ateliers C. Bousardt (Ecclesiastical Art Gallery), so I'm guessing they knew each other through the church.
So what would a rector of a hospital and monastery do in the forties do with a western hat? My guess is that it may have been ordered as a priests' hat (black, wide brim, low crown) and mr. van der Heyden got (way) more than he bargained for in regards to the crown. It would explain why he lowered the crown with the telescope crease. On the other hand it could be he just loved Tom Mix movies.

Need two posts for this.

View attachment 88134 View attachment 88135 View attachment 88136 View attachment 88137 View attachment 88138 View attachment 88139 View attachment 88140 View attachment 88141 View attachment 88142 View attachment 88143
Wow

The box with address sticker, a few auction shots, a picture of the hospital and monastery in Dordrecht and the shop of Henri Beer.

borsalino western_02.jpg
borsalino western_01.jpg
borsalino western_03.jpg
borsalino box.JPG
borsalino box5.JPG
st jacob dordrecht.jpg
henri beer dordrecht.jpg

It's probably just that @Bamaboots Stetson got indelibly burnt into my synapses last evening, but all I can see is room for a pencil curl on that brim.
There's certainly enough brim for it. Much as I can appreciate how special this one is, I don't see myself wearing it (it would probably get more than 5 minutes of police trailing when wearing this one for a stroll:))

Interesting hat and story. Any thoughts on the hand written word on the label?, which appears to be of the 1950s variety.
Alan, thanks. Been breaking my head over that one too. I've tried several variations on google translate but nothing so far seems to have any meaning. Good point about the label. It's the writing on there that had me thinking it could be earlier.

Takedeadaim

New in Town
Gents, I purchased this hat via a relative that was on vacation in Italy, I knew based off what she sent me that it was certainly worth the asking price and would most likely fit me. I had it cleaned and the blocking touched up at the Brass Rooster and was told it was certainly vintage and of high quality felt. Condition is excellent, no stains marks or damage. I know they are hard to date but I know the waxed lining and some other things help for those that know these hats better.

While I have a number of hats Im not a collector, at least of hats that I don't wear. Sadly this very nice hat is not the secure type fit I like. I think given its age, condition and overall look it should belong to someone who appreciates it. Id like some help with age, value and where and how to sell this to someone who would appreciate it.

It fits just snug on my head and Im usually a Large 59/60, it measures 4" at the crown with a 2 1/2" brim.
IMG_0302.jpg
IMG_0303.jpg
IMG_0304 copy.jpg
IMG_0305 copy.jpg
IMG_0306 copy.jpg
IMG_0301.jpg

... Id like some help with age, value and where and how to sell this to someone who would appreciate it.

Why not list the hat on the Fedora Lounge classifieds? Its era is late 1950s - early 1960s. Based on current completed auctions, I'd say it would sell on eBay somewhere between $50 and $250 depending on the quality of your pictures and copy writing. $150-$200 is probably a good asking price for our classifieds section.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Alan, thanks. Been breaking my head over that one too. I've tried several variations on google translate but nothing so far seems to have any meaning. Good point about the label. It's the writing on there that had me thinking it could be earlier.

"Ruluela" written in italics on the Borsalino paper label, has no meaning in Italian language.
It can be a word in Alessandria dialect, like the others, used in the colors of Borsalino hats.
The hat is that of a parish priest. They were in use until the 1960s here in Italy, especially in informal trips or events.
Not to be confused with the "Saturnino" it looks like, but this is very informal.

"Ruluela" written in italics on the Borsalino paper label, has no meaning in Italian language.
It can be a word in Alessandria dialect, like the others, used in the colors of Borsalino hats.
The hat is that of a parish priest. They were in use until the 1960s here in Italy, especially in informal trips or events.
Not to be confused with the "Saturnino" it looks like, but this is very informal.
Daniele, thanks. I never would have guessed that hats like these were worn by the clergy. Great information. If one were to wear today I don't think the first thing that would come to people's minds would be "hey, an Italian parish priests' hat" though.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday I promised you a hat in the "what hat are you waiting for" thread. Here it is. And it is a bit of a special one I must say. This one came with the box as it were, because it was the box I bought and didn't really ask about the hat (thinking it was a women's hat). What I got was more than a nice surprise. Borsalino in black size 58. Raw edge brim at 10cm and (now) open crown at 15cm (!). A Borsalino Western as it were. Even larger in dimensions than the Barbisio Cowboy I have posted before. On the auction pictures and when it arrived the hat had a telescope crown, but for brushing and steaming it I took that out and took the pictures with an open crown. The mark of the old crease can still be seen (I think it was in there for a long long time). The box is original to the hat.
Now to the provenance of the hat (and a bit of speculation). The hat was sold by Henri Beer of Dordrecht (hatter and outfitter). The shop opened in 1931 and moved to address on the box in 1940, so the hat is from after that date. The shop still exists today (selling menswear). Judging by the box and label I would say 1940's therefore. It was sent to Rector vd Heyden of Huize St Jacobs in Dordrecht, a hospital and monastery. At some point however he must have sold it or given it to a mr. C. Bousardt, because I found a small note in between the sweatband that the hat was property of that person. There is a link between the two, because mr Bousardt was in fact Cees Bousardt (1926-2007) of Kerkelijke Kunst Ateliers C. Bousardt (Ecclesiastical Art Gallery), so I'm guessing they knew each other through the church.
So what would a rector of a hospital and monastery do in the forties do with a western hat? My guess is that it may have been ordered as a priests' hat (black, wide brim, low crown) and mr. van der Heyden got (way) more than he bargained for in regards to the crown. It would explain why he lowered the crown with the telescope crease. On the other hand it could be he just loved Tom Mix movies.

Need two posts for this.

View attachment 88134 View attachment 88135 View attachment 88136 View attachment 88137 View attachment 88138 View attachment 88139 View attachment 88140 View attachment 88141 View attachment 88142 View attachment 88143
awesome .... simply awesome

Need two posts for this.

Definitely one of the most spectacular hats that has graced the Lounge in a while. Truly wonderful Stefan.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Daniele, thanks. I never would have guessed that hats like these were worn by the clergy. Great information. If one were to wear today I don't think the first thing that would come to people's minds would be "hey, an Italian parish priests' hat" though.
Spectacular hat, Stefan. It is very Father Brown looking (the great British detective & priest), so I can definitely see why a clergyman would buy it. You just need a cassock to go with it now [emoji5]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Stefan, Great find. The liner color (also hat dimensions) most likely points to a Clerical hat. I know Borsalino had such models (I believe I have seen others while searching). As Alan said the paper label looks later. Daniele with great info.

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino Extra Qualità Superiore. Size 6 or 7 3/8 in US
2uppw7p.jpg

Color Amiata, Goraita the "model"
1j8cw.jpg

It has the same shape as the "Belloni" (Bob's late Borsalino) without the ribbon to trim the brims
The brim are 7 cm. and the open crown is 12.5 centimeters
20it9w9.jpg

It was sold in downtown Turin, Gentile - Via Garibaldi probably in the 1960s
11kwjfb.jpg

Classic golden sweatband stamps
2mz9imx.jpg

Look at the lettering of the hat shop
29kw6pz.jpg

It is used with moths bites underbrim
kedwl0.jpg

The felt has a soft finish with shorter hair
1177i1y.jpg

This is a variation of Borsalino in shape and felt finish, the color and brim are classic
2u6pwt2.jpg

Another in the main grey Borsalino color

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Daniele, That's a real beauty! Fantastic felt (color, finish, hand) and classic form (brim flange + curl with over welt)!
Thanks Steve.
It is a little weird for the Italian market this Borsalino or it is more old than what I think.
This shape was used here before the WWII, but this Borsalino was made after.
I like it very much and I feel lucky to come across it.

awesome .... simply awesome
Definitely one of the most spectacular hats that has graced the Lounge in a while. Truly wonderful Stefan.
Spectacular hat, Stefan. It is very Father Brown looking (the great British detective & priest), so I can definitely see why a clergyman would buy it. You just need a cassock to go with it now [emoji5]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
Stefan, Great find. The liner color (also hat dimensions) most likely points to a Clerical hat. I know Borsalino had such models (I believe I have seen others while searching). As Alan said the paper label looks later. Daniele with great info.
Anthony, Mike, Steve and Steve, thanks for the kind words. It is quite something and the additional information provided by Daniele (and Steve) is what is most surprising to me. I do wonder how it was worn back then (open crowned or creased). Good call by Alan with the date (should have looked more closely to the label): so mid to late fifties more likely.

Borsalino Extra Qualità Superiore. Size 6 or 7 3/8 in US
2uppw7p.jpg

Color Amiata, Goraita the "model"
1j8cw.jpg

It has the same shape as the "Belloni" (Bob's late Borsalino) without the ribbon to trim the brims
The brim are 7 cm. and the open crown is 12.5 centimeters
20it9w9.jpg

It was sold in downtown Turin, Gentile - Via Garibaldi probably in the 1960s
11kwjfb.jpg

Classic golden sweatband stamps
2mz9imx.jpg

Look at the lettering of the hat shop
29kw6pz.jpg

It is used with moths bites underbrim
kedwl0.jpg

The felt has a soft finish with shorter hair
1177i1y.jpg

This is a variation of Borsalino in shape and felt finish, the color and brim are classic
2u6pwt2.jpg

Another in the main grey Borsalino color
Fantastic hat, Daniele. Great form and colour. The brim shape/flange make it look special indeed. Love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe