Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The beginning of the end of Daylight Savings Time

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
How many of you are out in the yard, on your way home, sitting by the window..etc..and have noticed how quickly it is getting dark outside?

Those long lost, lazy days of summer are beginning to be oh, but a memory.

The leaves are turning vibrant colors, and the mornings are decidedly "nippy".

Already the wood smoke waifs in the evening air, and the stars are coming out to see me ever so early.

The shadows are quite long, and add to the wonderful texture of the day.

Soon, the rains will come, and then the snow (unfortunately not where I live).

So the bottom line, when you consider the seasons:

Is this your favorite time of the year?

My favorite time of the year is summer actually. Has been since I was a child. There is nothing like being able to play ball int he yard witht he dog until about 8:00pm. Sniff the rose garden, pick vegetables from the little garden patch that I tend and just lay out in a lounge chair under my big Acacia tree with a cigar, book and drink until the light dwindles down to twilight and I have to go back in the house before getting eaten alive by the mosquitoes. ;)
I hate the rain and the snow. Let me know your zip code so I can send a request for snow on to the Big Guy upstairs. How many inches do you want and when? LOL Snow in California. :eek: :confused: No thanks. [bad]

Regards to all,

J :D

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love them all

Rain and fog are my friends. Oh, I love the warm summers, but those cold January days with biting air, the crystal visisbilities, and the ability to wear a warm coat and thick fedora......wow!

Spring is good too...the realization of life which was dormant all winter long.

Winter? The crisp days and cold nights. The breath visible before your face.

Snow that quiets and blankets the landscape.

Ah, but Fall. The colors and the changes, the cooling winds and chilly nights. The carving of pumpkins, and little ones off to school.

The coming of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Chiristmas....

So...really I LOVE ALL THE SEASONS for each has it's OWN MAGIC.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Man, I LOVE the Fall and Winter! I hate hot weather! I live in NY, and the colder seasons are fantastic. I love when it gets dark early. And, most importantly, you can wear all your good clothes and not sweat! flat-top

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Fall, without question.

I love weather in general, too.

AK can attest, some of the best flying can be done in light drizzle. I dare say, that's been the smoothest air I can remember. And crisp clear winter days...my gosh, that air is such, you can climb forever.

Fall is the season for love, though (sorry, French). I am certain I would not have the same affinity for it were it not for Mrs. C and our first autumn seasons together.

Let's see, we've the whole month before falling back an hour, don't we?

Cab

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I am envious. As a transplant to LA from Chicago, I miss the change of seasons almost as much as real pizza, hotdogs, and a pro football team! Enjoy it fellows.

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
As some one that lives in St. Louis, It’s interesting to hear there are folks from L.A. that miss the Rams.

Just after the Rams moved to St. Louis, the owner Georgia Frontiere, was asked what the people of Los Angeles should do for football now that the Rams are gone. Her reply was that the fans in L.A. can stay home and watch the games on TV……just like they did when the team was in L.A.

If the Rams keep playing like they did last Sunday…L.A. can have them back.

Regards,
Forrestal

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I love Fall. I start getting my "Fall" mood by mid-Summer, and it usually lasts until January.

Aspens turning gold on the mountainside. Pumpkin vines taking over the backyard with their bright orange fruit. Fresh-picked green chiles being roasted while their aroma and ash wafts on the crisp air. Breaking out the first bottle of mead for the season. Settling down to watch the Denver Broncos on TV, with a plate of cheese, some homemade Chex Party Mix, and a couple of beers.

And the knowledge that my allergies will soon be gone until Spring!

Fall is my favorite time of year, followed closely by Winter. I love being snowed in. Spring is nice, but the allergies return. Summer gets too hot, and I can't wait for it to be over so that Fall can return!

Brad

zeus36

A-List Customer
Awww , I got all excited. I thought this was some news related to doing away with Daylight Savings Time. There is a movement to stop changing the clocks!

Anyway, my favorite season is Fall back East. I'm from Ohio and there's nothing to compare with it out here in California.

Williamson

New in Town
I would have to say that fall is my favorite of the 4 seasons. For me it brings back so many childhood memories.....those early evenings when it started to get dark soon, the look of a foggy mist taking over the pasture and the smell of a pile of raked oak leaves burning(something few here may know about). And the familiar call of all the mothers to the children playing outside......."dinners ready......time to get in and get cleaned up and get that homework done". Now it is a rush to get home and have time to get some work done outside before the darkness takes over. Thanks for the thread..Glad to see so many others like fall. I have enjoyed explaining the change in seasons to our four year old....he refers to fall as "acorn time". Regards to all. Williamson.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Originally posted by Cabinetman
Uh...you must mean the Rams LOL

C'mon Nathan, read my post again. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and that means–DA BEARS! Although they're not doing much better than the Rams this season so far!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
My wife and I debate about which is better... she prefers the newness of spring, and I prefer the fall. Crisp air with a high of 55-60 or so, and a dip into the high 30s for a low in the morning. Williamson, I like pulling out my camping gear every so often just so I can smell the aroma of burnt scrub oak.

The fact that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday is only one of the things I like most about fall. Here are a few of the others that I can think of.

Hot apple cider.

Potato and onion soup.

My father in law's vegetable beef soup.

Bird and squirrel hunting.

Roast dove, and grilled quail that is
wrapped in bacon.

Fewer mosquitos.

My persimmon tree's fruit (after the second frost)

Shelling pecans.

My Mom's warm pecan pie.

Spaghetti squash.

Deep fried turkey.

Falling asleep on the couch after thanksgiving dinner.

Seeing my wife's face get rosy in the cold air.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh the joys of Thanksgiving

IM GOING TO ZOHAR'S HOUSE FOR THANKSGIVING THIS YEAR!! ( I WISH)

Gee Norman Rockwell couldn't have put it better in paint, you descriptive fellow you!

You mention things we CAN'T do in the city. (no that wasn't Mom's pie I meant)/

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Originally posted by PrettyBigGuy
C'mon Nathan, read my post again. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and that means–DA BEARS! Although they're not doing much better than the Rams this season so far!

I know, I know. Just a little ribbing.

Seriously, though, hasn't Lovie been a good thing for the program?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Speaking of Mom's pecan pie...

I had to shell and clean pecans for an hour so she could make this. She made two, one went home with us, the other stayed with them.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The wife and myself drove up the canyon yesterday to see what was left of the Fall colors. We knew it would be almost too late, but hadn't had a chance earlier. Most of the aspen had already dropped their leaves, but we found a few stands that were still at peak. So without further ado, Happy Fall Greetings from Utah...

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe