Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Batman Animated Series had amazing art deco style

kiltie

Practically Family
Justice League

I seem to be in the minority here when I say I am a JL fan. While I was aware of Batman:TAS, I didn't really start to dig it until I was jonesing for more Justice League after that show's run. I won't deny the superior quality of the Batman run, but I just like the IDEA of the Justice League. That said, the New Frontier was bitter sweet. It's an "origins"-type story, and Green Lantern Hal Jordan is pretty much the main character. The super heroes are all busted up because of the public's paranoia ( red scare...thinly disguised modern themes, etc...), but they have to rally 'round the flag once more to defeat a threat to all mankind. Tons of exposition, which was a bit of a letdown ( I wasn't familiar with the original Frontiers comic series ), but what came as the biggest disappointment was, the cover of the DVD and the action figures relating to the original comic imply a much more retro look than is conveyed in the movie. There are a few hat tips ( Wonder Woman's get up, Supe's old school insignia, Bat's ride, etc...) but the general dynamics ( not the aircraft manufacturer ) are all just about two steps ahead of the first run of Justice League. It's clear they're trying to bridge an aesthetic gap, retaining the JL/JLU fans and appealing to fans of the New Frontiers original run. If you're looking for something radically different, it's not here. If you're a Justice League fan looking for a step up from the series, this is your fix. Take it for a spin before showing it to the kiddies though - there is at least one extremely violent death in which Hal Jordan, shot down over North Korea, shoots an enemy soldier ( that's the time frame BTW - post-Korean conflict ), and some other heavy themes. I've got a feeling this is one of those things that deserves a second go 'round, though. Also looking foward to the new animated Batman.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
d.jpg

This was just delivered! I forgot how rich and vaired this score was. There are great notes inside on concepts about the movies premise and such. Looked up the composer, Shirley Walker. Sadly she passed away late 2006.

LD

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I didn't know about this new expanded soundtrack release, thanks for the heads up. And sad news about Shirley Walker, I missed that news somehow. It is odd that they would make a special release of this again after all these years.[huh]

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
J. M. Stovall said:
I didn't know about this new expanded soundtrack release, thanks for the heads up. And sad news about Shirley Walker, I missed that news somehow. It is odd that they would make a special release of this again after all these years.[huh]

There are about 14 never released movements on it. Its very cool :)

LD

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
There are about 14 never released movements on it. Its very cool :)

LD

That's great. I'm glad you got it. It was a strange coincidence that the score and this [edit: there was another Batman thread--oops!] thread happened around the same time. This has been a highly-desired item of film score collectors.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Picture15.png

Batman faces his ultimate challenge as the mysterious Red Hood takes Gotham City by firestorm. One part vigilante, one part criminal kingpin, Red Hood begins cleaning up Gotham with the efficiency of Batman, but without following the same ethical code. Killing is an option. And when the Joker falls in the balance between the two, hard truths are revealed and old wounds are reopened.

Batman: Under the Red Hood

Time is almost here! Anyone else excited?!

Bruce Timm is involved (yay) but there's no one from the original voice cast of BM:TAS, :(

It looks to be taking a darker vein from the recent Batman live action films.
Anyone else excited?

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe