Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
TallulahDahling said:
So I like called my boyfriend and he was all like why are you calling? And I was like, why are you asking me that and he said like I gotta go get my hair cut and I like said, "Whatever!" :rage:

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Lord how i hate that one :rage: :rage: :rage:

hate it to the point of strangling the one who is saying it right then are there! :whip: lol :eek:

And she's being downright gentle next to my peeves...

blowup.gif
gun.gif

Viola

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:
The one that makes my blood boil: "get my blank on"! I'm going to the bar and get my drink on. I'm going to the club to get my dance on.

Generally true but one of my friends saying, as she does, "goin' to church to get my pray on," is in fact adorable, sorry. I can't help it!

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
I have a few, I'm afraid...

I agree with the over use of the word 'Like' and particularly dislike 'Yeah, like, whatever' which I hear quite a bit. I also dislike the constant insertion of the word 'Yeah' into everything. "I was going to the shops yeah, and I saw this man yeah" etc etc.

On a personal level, I dislike the word 'toilet' and always say 'loo' or 'lavatory' for preference. Not sure why, but as foibles go I don't think a bad one!

Additional: I would also like to add the phrase 24/7 to my list. It is popping up with increasing regularlity and I can't stand it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ethan Bentley said:
The use of best as a verb i.e. Firefox bested Internet explorer in recent tests; I saw this in the Wall Street Journal.:eek:

That's an old-school tabloid headline word: you used to see it a lot on the back page of the New York Daily News: FLOCK BESTS JINTS 6-4. (Or, to translate, the Brooklyn Dodgers defeated the New York Giants, 6-4.) Very sad that it's been appropriated into corporatespeak.

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
Corporate Speak. I don't miss it at all.

Let's loop back around on this one.

Going forward.

Deliverables.

Skill set.

Core competencies.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
MsStabby said:

Oh boy :eusa_doh: I took a Management Fundies class in high school, and it was all corporatespeak:

Fast Track
Key Enabler
Incent
Talk Track
Up-selling
Integrated Solution

and my personal favourite: Customer Service Ambassador.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Missy Hellfire said:
I also dislike the constant insertion of the word 'Yeah' into everything. "I was going to the shops yeah, and I saw this man yeah" etc etc.

That's another one that makes me jump out of my skin!!!!!!:rage: :mad: :rage:

"I had a lovely time there and so yeah".....

and its the adding of the word so---------so- yeah- that irritates the most! :mad:

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
If I use fancy words, they'll think I'm smarter.

MsStabby said:
Going forward.
I remember this and also the use of the word "spot" instead of "point" when referring to a decimal point.
I'm also convinced that many people use the term Ad Hoc without knowing what it actually means. Due to their inability to explain it's definition to me.

C-dot said:
Oh boy :eusa_doh: I took a Management Fundies class in high school, and it was all corporatespeak:

Fast Track
Up-selling - selling someone something they don't really want. EB edit:

and my personal favourite: Customer Service Ambassador.

That reminds me of the use of "executive" in front of many titles.
Executive Account Manager
Executive Personal Assistant
Executive File Controller
Executive Milkman

Executive Customer Service Ambassador (maybe they would get to wear a red sash?)

HadleyH said:
and its the adding of the word so---------so- yeah- that irritates the most! :mad:

This sounds like the individual doesn't know what they want to say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe