Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
SamMarlowPI said:
one of my professors has the that pet peeve which is one reason why she takes away points in papers for the use of contractions...

language has truly corrupted the writing of the newer generation...or something like that...

She'd've hated me, then. I like contractions, if they're done right or in a comical fashion: It's have not of.

I'd've written more, but I'm at the Alhambra couthouse serving my jury duty, and I don't wish to hog the computer.

Lee

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
Lincsong said:
Why is it whenever a guy is talking to a new girl at a club or whatever one of her friends will run over, grab the gal and take her back to the corner with the group she came in with????? Yeah we know her friends are over there and she'll get back there when she's done talking to the guy.

I am probably going to sound like a jerk, but the girl you are speaking about is usually the "ugly" friend who doesn't get hit on at all so she takes the role of managing purses and people in the group to make sure they have a safe return. It's just one of those things women do in packs [huh].

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
the use of the term "sick" in a positive manner.

To me it makes no sense and is very annoying.
Some one was recently using the term when describing their impression of a roller-coaster. :s

I think this means I am getting old.

P.S. adding "much" to the end of words.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Either version can sound gross. :)
From a quick search it appears "spitting image" is old enough to satifsy the vintage crowd. Is there much of a difference between the two?

It cannot be as badly misused as "intensive purposes"..

I imagine this:

SpittingImageCarlton-3745.jpg

Would have something to do with the popular use of the "spitting image" version of the phrase. At least in the UK.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Lincsong said:
Why is it whenever a guy is talking to a new girl at a club or whatever one of her friends will run over, grab the gal and take her back to the corner with the group she came in with????? Yeah we know her friends are over there and she'll get back there when she's done talking to the guy.

There is a term for it. But I won't use it in mixed company. pretty accurate though.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Viola said:
I dislike the intensifying use of people who say "should've" (which I'm fine with as a casual contraction) in spoken language, typing it out as "should of," to which I always grumpily think "You should've thought of the fact that should of makes no sense."

to that, add "The hell with it." It should be "To hell with it."

On the other hand, I don't know what "The hell, you say." means, but I like it.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lincsong said:

Because they assume the girl needs rescuing. The girl will go back to the guy if she did not in fact need rescuing and was enjoying his company. :eek:fftopic:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
irb said:
I'm also fond of, "ONE SIDE, FATHEADS!"

Ah. You've hit the nail on the head there. There's nothing glamorous or ennobling about being very poor--it just sucks. I wish I could explain that fact to the Kids These Days[tm].

I kinda like, 'One side! One side! Let a rabbit t'rew!'

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Supportive of

I just saw a headline that said "New York Voters Supportive of Gay Marriage". Eschewing the content of the headline, what the heck is wrong with saying "New York Voters Support"? This "supportive of" is tacky clumsy language at its ugliest.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
I just saw a headline that said "New York Voters Supportive of Gay Marriage". Eschewing the content of the headline, what the heck is wrong with saying "New York Voters Support"? This "supportive of" is tacky clumsy language at its ugliest.
It's a headline. They like 'em to fill space neatly. That -ive of probably looked just right.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
St.Ignatz said:
Irregardless of our little proper english foibles language evolves even though we all hoped it would evolve to a more consistent and uniform language and yes higher level but we all know water and laziness seeks it's own level. There is a movement afoot to eliminate the standard dictionary and replace it with phonetics. Esperanto anyone? When I typed in irregardless spell check just rolled over and accepted it and when I just misspelled it spell check corrected me!

spelling correction, Thanks Marc.

'Irregardless' is a bit off, like 'I could care less.' The word is 'regardless,' and if you could care less, then you care, so why bother stating it in the context you mean to convey? It's, 'I couldnt care less.' IOW, you dont care at all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe