Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
A baseball cap?! Nooooooooooo!:eek: :p

No, Sir James, a hatter I know in NYC Worth and Worth, my "Yankee" hatter ....;) ;) :p :p

165L4509_FINAL_SM.jpg

I also have a "Dixie" hatter in Texas...:p :p

Alexi

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
The summary is the last sentence "A historical" remains preferable in formal English." It remains that a is proper instead of an. In both "historical" and history cases I pronounce the the Thuh. Now say that fast three times. ;)
Ah, at least you pronounce herb correctly. ;) :p

no what it states is that "a" is PREFERABLE, it remains that an is an expectable term. so no more eye rolling.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
HadleyH said:
Jamespowers if I may :p ...... incorrect spelling( a misplaced h here, or an a there instead of e)...are insignificant in the contex of irritating...don't annoy me half as much as the way people use certain words or phrases for their whole meaning..... i can take incorrect spelling.... the other i can not ...... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :rage:

Let's look at the BIG picture. Petty details dont count you know what i mean !:eek: :eek: lol

Nope, I don't see what you mean. People that can't spell, and then insist that the incorrect spelling is as good as the correct spelling, completely ignoring the fact that it either makes the word a) a completely different word, or b)not a word at all, exhasperates me to no end.

Being in an age, and of a generation, that uses so much text-based communication, awful spelling and atrocious grammar are just as good as 'annoying phrases.'

I just wish my grammar was better so I could unleash the full fury of my grammar nazi leanings.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Please, please tell me that you deliberately misspelled this word, and intentionally wrote it in the incorrect 3rd person singular form instead of in the correct 3rd person plural form.

"I just wish my grammar was better...."

...the one word I didn't double check....

*nailed*

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Please, please tell me that you deliberately misspelled this word, and intentionally wrote it in the incorrect 3rd person singular form instead of in the correct 3rd person plural form.

Oh, how I miss the Jesuits...

VintageVixie

It is funny how often one sees errors in the Grammar/Spelling Police's responses to bad spelling or grammar. lol

In any case, I try to be understanding about most mistakes. People can be tired, or really have genuine word issues that they can't help, and it just happens sometimes. Spell-check isn't always an option, but it would be nice if it were used more often by people who know they have problems with spelling.

My least favorite phrase: If worse comes to worst.

People rarely use it when referring to a worst case scenario, but rather one that is just not as good as the 'worse' originally implied. Or the original situation isn't even a 'worse' but perfectly acceptable. So I'm completely nit-picky about that, but I can't help that it bothers me.

docneg

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:

You mean you didn't notice that he said "people THAT can't spell", instead of "people WHO can't spell"?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had to roll my eyes recently when, on a website for menswear, it stated one should measure their "waste" to get the proper fit in trousers, and that the "wasteline" measurement was of utmost importance. I guess the closest one comes to a "wasteline" measurement would be their colon (ah, now you're all with me, eh?) or would it be the entire intestinal tract?

And I have to wonder if this establishment's customers complain about a crappy fit? ;)

Maguire

Practically Family
I hope this one has not yet been said but I'd definitely say nothing beats COOL BEANS as far as obnoxious and stupid phrases go. I'd rather hear yo son wutup/dawg a thousand times than phrases like that.

Mike in Seattle said:
I had to roll my eyes recently when, on a website for menswear, it stated one should measure their "waste" to get the proper fit in trousers, and that the "wasteline" measurement was of utmost importance. I guess the closest one comes to a "wasteline" measurement would be their colon (ah, now you're all with me, eh?) or would it be the entire intestinal tract?

And I have to wonder if this establishment's customers complain about a crappy fit? ;)

Ah, another homonym problem. Spell check just doesn't find that interesting. It sounds the same but is wrong. They're is the problem. :p

jwalls

Vendor
I believe it was Ben Franklin who said that "Anyone who can spell a word only one way has no immagnation.":eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe