Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Age of Entitlement

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is a really good article - especially about the last 1/4 of it. I concur that everyone should read it.

I liked it too. Although I think that there is information that should be more "free" than it is right now- we have a lot of things we pay for over and over again and never reap the benefits of the cost in the US as far being freely accessible (like a lot of scientific research).

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Oh, regarding Sweet Brown and the "ain't got no time for that." She is now in talks for a talk show, I believe, and has made several radio appearances. In short, her brief interview has now made her a star.

I've watched the interview. It's funny - not in a "haha, look at how that black woman talks" way, but funny because of what she says and how she says it. It's her personality that makes it hilarious, and according to her son, that's exactly how her personality is. To me, she looks like a really fun, vibrant, and upbeat woman.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As with most of these meme things, it's not the original incident that's the issue so much as it is what the Wisdom Of The Internet Crowd makes of it.

19876269.jpg

Laughing with or laughing *at?*

Same thing with the Epic Beard Man -- a minor incident on a bus got to where it says something really disturbing about today's culture.

mqdefault.jpg

Post-racial America, c. 2010.

It is indeed a part of growing up to realise that one's first assumptions are very, very often - one might even say mostly - wrong.:eusa_clap

It's the strangest thing, when I see a guy with a Hell's Angels leather jacket, I assume he must be a biker in the Hell's Angels. I assume that a person in the Hells Angels is up to nefarious deeds. Boy, was I way off. I should assume that his clothing says absolutely nothing about him. Sorta like, like when I see someone wearing a Green Day t-shirt. I assume he likes the band. Boy, was I wrong. Thank God for this thread. How people dress and act says absolutely nothing about that person.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I didn't read the whole thread.... but anyone who thinks a sense of entitlement is a modern phenomenon, should watch The Magnificent Ambersons, set in the 1890s but made in the 1940s.

See Orson Welles protest indignantly, that a job he was offered does not pay enough to support him and his mother in the style they are used to. And see the reply he gets from his prospective employer.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I didn't read the whole thread.... but anyone who thinks a sense of entitlement is a modern phenomenon, should watch The Magnificent Ambersons, set in the 1890s but made in the 1940s.

See Orson Welles protest indignantly, that a job he was offered does not pay enough to support him and his mother in the style they are used to. And see the reply he gets from his prospective employer.

But that was only on TV Stan,is the argument that you may get?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
It was from a novel published in 1918, based on the author's experiences growing up in Indianapolis in the late 19th century. He was describing a type that would be familiar to his readers, and alas even more familiar today. Back then you pretty much had to be rich to be that spoiled. Now I guess everyone is rich or at least spoiled.

My point was, that this type is not a new phenomenon, it has been around probably forever. But in past ages, only the most privileged could get away with it.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
It was from a novel published in 1918, based on the author's experiences growing up in Indianapolis in the late 19th century. He was describing a type that would be familiar to his readers, and alas even more familiar today. Back then you pretty much had to be rich to be that spoiled. Now I guess everyone is rich or at least spoiled.

My point was, that this type is not a new phenomenon, it has been around probably forever. But in past ages, only the most privileged could get away with it.

My previous comment didn't say that I'd be the one saying such a thing,and it's still the privileged ones getting away with it the rest that do it have a few consequences to pay where the privileged have no such consequences?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
As with most of these meme things, it's not the original incident that's the issue so much as it is what the Wisdom Of The Internet Crowd makes of it.

19876269.jpg

Laughing with or laughing *at?*

Same thing with the Epic Beard Man -- a minor incident on a bus got to where it says something really disturbing about today's culture.

mqdefault.jpg

Post-racial America, c. 2010.

Yeah, I am sure most of these memes are not laughing with her, but at her.

Feraud

Bartender
I was reminded of this thread when I recently saw Wes Anderson's film The Darjeeling Limited. I've enjoyed WE's films but this one left me more cold than not. The film had all the hallmark Anderson visual, character, casting, and musical touches. I couldn't get beyond the three main characters are man-boy brothers who were never weaned off their mom's breast and dad's wallet.
Film is subjective so maybe it's me. I guess one gets to the point where seeing men on screen roughly your own whining about mom and dad gets old..

I couldn't get beyond the three main characters are man-boy brothers who were never weaned off their mom's breast and dad's wallet. Film is subjective so maybe it's me. I guess one gets to the point where seeing men on screen roughly your own whining about mom and dad gets old..

If they were going to do another version of Captains Courageous today I'm pretty sure that the character of Harvey Cheyne would be cast as a thirty- or forty-something played by Adam Sandler with lots of fart jokes. :rolleyes::doh:

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wonder if, somewhere out there, like the Walmart site, there's a web page with photos people have gleaned from the Fedora Lounge displayed with disparaging comments about various pictures of ourselves we've posted here . . . "Look at that old-fashioned-looking idiot," "Hey $#^%$ wake up it's 2013 ya know!" or "Nice grandpa clothes jerk." A scary thought for the day . . .

I wonder if, somewhere out there, like the Walmart site, there's a web page with photos people have gleaned from the Fedora Lounge displayed with disparaging comments about various pictures of ourselves we've posted here . . . "Look at that old-fashioned-looking idiot," "Hey $#^%$ wake up it's 2013 ya know!" or "Nice grandpa clothes jerk." A scary thought for the day . . .

Yes, The Other Forum has already done that. :eusa_doh:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Yes, The Other Forum has already done that. :eusa_doh:

Pardon me, but what is this mysterious "Other Forum"?

I suspect that should I find it and visit it I would be both entertained and annoyed. Since the Better Half is away for the week! I am sorely missing both entertainment and annoyance. When you have a chance might you
PM the name of this Forum Which Shall (otherwise) Remain Nameless?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe