Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scotrace said:
The firm that is now unloading Peterman's overstocks on eBay seems to be living on some planet where such things get high prices. It used to be handled by a division of Overstock.com, and you could get some deals. Now it's just a long list of unsold inventory. :rage:
Useful for seeing what the goods really look like though.

That firm (Primrose Trading) is Peterman in disguise. I bought their 'Chesterfield' (really a covert coat, and at a relatively good price), and when it shipped I received a shipping and tracking email from Peterman themselves.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Edward, to follow up on the luggage topic, I just recently got the LL Bean Maine Guide rolling duffle and underseat duffle, and love them. Granted, I have not used them on an actual trip before, but one advantage to LL Bean is that their stuff is guaranteed for life. I had the wheels ripped off a duffle by the airlines, and they just shrugged, pointing to the policy of not covering anything on your luggage except the portion that actually contains your belongings. That means no handles, straps, wheels, tags, or anything is covered. With LL Bean, though, if your luggage gets destroyed, send it back for a replacement. To me that is worth a lot.

On the bush jacket topic, I have the Cabela's bush jacket, and I love it. I don't think the shoulder patches detract from the look, (after all, the jackets were intended as shooting and hunting jackets) and I don't find them to dominate the look of the jacket. That's all just personal, of course. I also intentionally chose the drawstring waist versus the belted waist for ease of wear. I wear that jacket all winter long, and having to buckle and unbuckle that belt every time would start to bother me. My previous jacket was an Orvis, which also had the drawstring, and I wore that until I eventually punched a hole in the pocket and it started fraying. The sleeves on the Cabela's tall size are really long, too. This is the first jacket I've actually considered having the sleeves shortened!

On the US Wings side, I have to add my customary warning about their horrible customer service. While I find some of their stuff interesting, my last experience with them was so awful that I will never do business with them again. Not under any circumstances. :rage: It was also so insulting and bad that I will also never miss an opportunity to tell others about my experience! They make a big deal about being all American and supporting the troops, but that is a lie. They screwed me over while I was deployed! My advice is, find your gear elsewhere.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Just a note, if anyone is interested in a pretty accurate set of safari style chairs, CostPlus Word Market has them on sale for $27.00 each ($20.99 for the frame & $6 for the canvas bits):

http://www.worldmarket.com/Bali-Clu...e+matchallpartial/Ntk/Def/N/0/Nty/1/index.pro

I picked up a couple, and Nick Charles picked one up, too. Just a note, you may want to hurry if you want the natural colored canvas. I had to have Nick pick me up one of the canvas sets at the store near him because there was only one left at the store where I was.

Edward

Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
Edward, to follow up on the luggage topic, I just recently got the LL Bean Maine Guide rolling duffle and underseat duffle, and love them. Granted, I have not used them on an actual trip before, but one advantage to LL Bean is that their stuff is guaranteed for life. I had the wheels ripped off a duffle by the airlines, and they just shrugged, pointing to the policy of not covering anything on your luggage except the portion that actually contains your belongings. That means no handles, straps, wheels, tags, or anything is covered. With LL Bean, though, if your luggage gets destroyed, send it back for a replacement. To me that is worth a lot.

Do Orvis do the same? I couldn't quite tell what the "any time, any where" type phrasing on the site meant.... That's good to know though. For me that would definitely make spending so much on luggage justifiable. The reason I've been buying cheap cases off the local market for the last couple of years is how often they get destroyed by airlines. If I couldn't get a claim from the airline, it'd be great to be able to go back to the original company.

Thanks

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Got the safari chair, and one of these for good measure. I've set up an evening cocktail spot with these and an old garden bench with a persian carpet fragment slung over. :)

390218_5pos_stripe

Rooster

Practically Family
I'm thinking one of those safari chairs might be just the ticket for sitting in the middle of the chicken yard during the evening. That's about the extent of my safaris these days.lol

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Got the safari chair, and one of these for good measure. I've set up an evening cocktail spot with these and an old garden bench with a persian carpet fragment slung over. :)

390218_5pos_stripe
Excellent! Let's see a shot of your evening cocktails! I looked at those sling chairs, too, and was tempted. I may have to go back for a couple of those. What color sling chair did you get? I was thinking that the stripes, as shown in your pic, would be good for those.

Rooster, those chairs are perfect for just about anything; sitting in the chicken yard is fine...as long as you do it with style!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Excellent! Phase 1 of my plan is complete! Next you'll start hearing my voice in your sleep...

I definately like the natural for the safari style chairs. I was lucky that Nick was able to grab me one. While I was waiting for Nick to get to his store, though, I found an interesting bottle of beer, Delirium Nocturnum, a whopping 8.5% alcohol by volume!

http://www.thebrewsite.com/2006/08/24/delirium_nocturnum.php

Should be good stuff!

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Edward said:
Do Orvis do the same? I couldn't quite tell what the "any time, any where" type phrasing on the site meant.... That's good to know though. For me that would definitely make spending so much on luggage justifiable. The reason I've been buying cheap cases off the local market for the last couple of years is how often they get destroyed by airlines. If I couldn't get a claim from the airline, it'd be great to be able to go back to the original company.

Thanks

I don't know about Orvis... LL Bean has a guarantee on everything. So does Filson.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
cookie said:
Maybe you could share some with Scotty so those safari big bwana nightmares he keeps having cease!
Absolutely I will share! Though the pink elephant on the label leads me to believe that it may actually increase the intensity of the nightmares!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojave Jack said:
Great, thanks, Serial Hero. There goes another $20 of my hard earned money! On the upside, in a week I'll be picking off kudu in my living room.

Just last night I shot a kudu in my pajamas... :D

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Hee hee... that's a great game. The character's gear is pretty cool too.

I like the hat, but I've gotta have that double rifle :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust