Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tarnish prevention

dnjan

One Too Many
When I recently got out my silver double pocketwatch chain, both the chain and the silver dollar I have on the other end had some deeply tarnished streaks. Not uniformly-tarnished, just streaks.

Any suggestions on what to put into the storage bag to prevent this from happening?
Getting tarnish off of watch chain links is a pain ...

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've had some luck with polishing my jewerly and then storing it in plastic bags (sandwich bags) with twist ties. The idea is that exposure to air causes tarnish. I am not sure if you'd want to do this with something really valuable, as I've heard mixed things about this (if the bag traps water in or the like it could be horrific).

The oils from your hands can prevent tarnish too, so if you wear it alot you might be able to prevent it from getting too tarnished. In my experience, the streaks are the beginning of going fully tarnished.

For silverwear, they make special tarnish-inhibitor boxes that delay the process. I don't know if you could get a piece of that felt and line your bag with that, or perhaps buy a small box and store your pocketwatch in that? You do have to make sure that the box is lined with the special felt, as they make boxes for stainless silverware too without the special lining.

dnjan

One Too Many
This was in a plastic bag, and the streaking on the chain is so isolated (a quarter-inch wide part, and then another about an inch away, and then another couple at the other end) that I assume there must have been a small tear in the bag at a seam.
That felt in the silverware box must be treated with something, and I would like to find out what that something is.

My regular watch-chain (also silver) stays nice. Just the special one that is rarely worn that got the streaks. So yes, the hand-oil seems to be working on the normal chain.

Getting the tarnish off the links is going to be a pain.
Back when people actually had (and used) "silverware", I remember a commercial about a product you could dip the silverware in. Now that we are in a stainless world, that commercial has disappeared.

dnjan

One Too Many
Thanks! I found a vendor that would sell a small amount, and placed the order.
Having a correct product name definitely makes things easier ...

JimWagner

Practically Family
Hagerty makes cloth silver storage bags that I've had pretty good luck with. Just google Hagerty silver storage bags.

dnjan

One Too Many
Thanks!
Having looked at the pictures, I think I remember seeing something like that in the drawers of my Aunt's china cabinet back when I was a kid.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Plastic bags can tend to trap the tiniest bit of moisture and your silver becomes tarnished easily. I keep my gold pocket watches (1894 and 1902) unwrapped in a wooden jewelry box lined with felt and have had no gunk or tarnish issues with them or the silver items in the box. You might also check with a local antique dealer for recommendations for tarnish removing cloths or pastes.

Big Fella

Familiar Face
Goddard's makes a liquid polish. It has a little basket in it. Place the watch chain into the basket and let it soak awhile. Then scrub it with the little brush that comes with the polish( I use a toothbrush). Works well on my watch chains.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Don.

They're called Double Albert chains. For a silver one, regular use should keep it tarnish-free. From what I understand, constant rubbing and contact with the oils on your hands will keep it clean and prevent oxidation on the metal. So if you want the chain to stay clean...I suggest wearing it.

dnjan

One Too Many
Unfortunately, I only wear a double chain for special occaisions - with waistcoat and dinner jacket, about 2 or 3 times a year.
My normal chain, which stays nice from daily use, is a single.
Wish I had more opportunities to dress up ...
(wish I had the kind of income that would get me invited to more opportunities to dress up :) )

dnjan

One Too Many
Goddard's makes a liquid polish. It has a little basket in it. Place the watch chain into the basket and let it soak awhile. Then scrub it with the little brush that comes with the polish( I use a toothbrush). Works well on my watch chains.

Thanks! I'll look for that so I can do a good cleaning before it goes back into storage.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I've had good luck with 3M Anti-Tarnish strips (something like this was mentioned earlier on in the thread, I believe). I throw one in my flute case, as the instrument is silver. I've also used Blitz brand instrument polishing cloths to keep my (modern!) silver and gold looking shiny. I'd hesitate to use the cloth on anything vintage, as it may devalue something (?). I assume the patina on a vintage watch is just as important as on rare coins? Or it's not an issue with vintage jewelry?

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I've had good luck with 3M Anti-Tarnish strips (something like this was mentioned earlier on in the thread, I believe). I throw one in my flute case, as the instrument is silver.

Hey there Flute, figured you'd steer our friend in that direction!

Hagerty's also makes anti-tarnish strips, which I cut into smaller strips and put in the case with my silver flute and also my wooden ones (which have sterling keywork and fittings). You can get these at any Container Store. Sulfur dioxide in the air is the culprit, forming silver sulfide. How fast this occurs depends on your environment, but limiting its exposure to the atmosphere will surely help.

I believe the strips act by preferentially absorbing sulfur dioxide. I wish they'd make them so they changed color, but they don't. So you need to date them and replace them every 6 months. They aren't a total preventative, but seem to slow things down.

For the nightmare scenario of air pollution and silver, here's a possibly biased report from Blitz:

"A recent paper (1) indicates that within 2 hours of exposure to heavy air pollution silver will lose its luster, in 4 hours it will show tarnish, in 10 hours it will be uniformly discolored, and in 24 hours it will be very tarnished. Increased humidity, elevated temperatures, and air circulation will accelerate the effects and make the tarnish worse. They also found that exposure to bright light (like sunlight) will also increase the speed which silver will tarnish."

Even if it represents the extreme, still suggestive. Keep it enclosed, perhaps sealed off but dry; keep it cool and away from light.

As an alternative to polish, a method has been posted frequently on the Badger and Blade website, for cleaning tarnish from plated razors. I haven't tried it yet but heard good reports. It supposedly removes the sulfur only, leaving the silver behind, via electrolytic reaction. It appears very plausible. Here's a descriptive link:
http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/homeexpts/tarnish.html

Good luck!

- Bill

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
That's some good info Bill!

Wandering slightly off topic for a minute; The link you posted says that the abrasive polishing cloths remove silver from the object (well, obviously). Would you say it's best to avoid using the Blitz cloth around my flute's lip-plate and embouchure hole? I can imagine that with time, it'll wear away much of the silver, and eventually mess up the fine tuning for my headjoint. I've never really thought about it that much before.

I'd like the try the soaking method on the headjoint, but there's no way to do so without drenching the cork.

Cheers,

Woodfluter

Practically Family
The link you posted says that the abrasive polishing cloths remove silver from the object (well, obviously). Would you say it's best to avoid using the Blitz cloth around my flute's lip-plate and embouchure hole? I can imagine that with time, it'll wear away much of the silver, and eventually mess up the fine tuning for my headjoint.

Oh, no way. Neither polishing cloths nor liquid silver polish (which works mostly by chemical reaction and very little by abrasion) will remove any appreciable quantity of metal. Certainly not a measurable amount, and won't affect the chimney height.

Consider that polish is used with fairly thinly-plated items, where the thickness is measured in microns. Over many decades without wearing through to the base metal. Some of the older Gillette razors were silver plated but very thinly, so this becomes a sensible precaution - using the aluminum and baking soda route. However, I've polished some very heavily tarnished old razors without issue. But I might consider alternatives if this became a routine, something required repeatedly.

Considering flute dimensions, I'm quite sure regular polishing just can't affect response or headjoint properties - at least over our lifetimes! If you did it daily and with great vigor, well maybe I'd start to wonder.

Happy tootin',
- Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe