Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tales of Homburg Glory

epic610

One of the Regulars
new hat store opens in my hometown. i question the wisdom of opening a retail store in such a small town. in the past have bought my hats (Borsalino Allesandro, Christy Trilby, Stetson Open Road) at Worth and Worth in nyc. but it is getting cold and i feel some civic duty to give him some business.

he offers me a few to try on; then steps back and says, "that's it; this one really fits you. it's who you are". it is a grey Biltmore Homburg.

it is at this point that my life takes a turn ....for the better. people start referring to me as "Sir" and i have stopped having to wait in lines. when i am wearing the homburg have recently taken to double parking and notice that no one even takes a second notice.

a few explicit examples may help to understand this phenomena.

i was at a department store waiting at a register when a cute young sales woman takes my arm like i am her prom date and takes me to a private register in the back saying, "sir, you don't have to stand in line".

at the deli counter at the supermarket i take a number behind four housewife types. the man the counter motions me over and says to me discreetly, "sir, what can i get you?" i mentioned the four ladies ahead of me and he responded: "forget about them".

the best was one sleeting friday night when i got off the turnpike late and went to a local pizzeria to pick up something to eat. i was wearing black cashmere overcoat and homburg. as i walked to the back, the diners stopped talking and stared me. at the counter, the owner came out of the kitchen to personally attend to me. now, he never greets customers, preferring to stay in the kitchen with a pistol in his belt and watch italian soccer on RAI. he says, "what can i get you?".

this particular pizzeria is located in a strip mall adjacent to a very upscale neighborhood. in line ahead of me were at least a dozen physicians, corp. execs and other high income types. i mentioned the others in line, but the owner leaned into my whispering "what would you like?". i ordered a meatball sub thinking that was the order which would get me out the door quickest.

i go to NYC frequently on business and noticed when wearing the homburg that the crowds on the street parted like the red sea ahead of me. i have even begun jaywalking, which they are very strict about in the city which will arrest you and may you pay high fines. a guy i work with mentioned that when wearing the hat it is the responsibility of the traffic to stop for me. i recently jaywalked right in front of a policeman. when i glared at him from underneath the brim of the homburg, instead of arresting me he tipped his own hat to me.

now my question to this forum is this: what am i supposed to do in the spring and summer when it is too warm for the hat . . . or god forbid if i want to wear a fedora? or in other words, how to internalize the effect of the homburg?

i have this great fear about going back to being treated like everyone else.

epic610 said:
now my question to this forum is this: what am i supposed to do in the spring and summer when it is too warm for the hat . . . or god forbid if i want to wear a fedora? or in other words, how to internalize the effect of the homburg?

Well, that's easy, my man:

A straw homburg ... Nice air flow. You wont even know you're wearing it! - but everyone else will (even the rozzers)

bk

Russ

One of the Regulars
I'm sold

That's it! Now I gotta get me a Homburg. Watching Miracle on 34th Street already softened me up (they go great with a beard) and now your post clinched the sale. I do hope you're not making this up. At least tell me there is an element of truth in there!

Harry Lime

Suspended
Are you really in Tokyo?

If I'm not mistaken there are a couple of good cutom hatters in Tokyo. The names slip my mind but you can probably find them. An American in a homburg in Tokyo; you're going to get noticed for sure.

Harry Lime

Russ

One of the Regulars
Really here

Yep, I'm really in Tokyo, been here since 1987, and I'm used to standing out -- kinda like it if the truth were known. You should see the looks I get when I wear an Akubra with a Drizabone on a rainy day!

I also get the Indy comments, too (in Japanese) and I just smile and share the fun, which makes the situation a positive one for everyone. Great way to make friends, actually. That's a brown Federation in the avatar, BTW.

I think I'm familiar with all the hatters here although I've only bought hats on the internet - some 20 at present count, although I only keep the ones I actually wear. Don't know which ones are the custom hatters though.

Yeah, I think the Homburg on a bearded American in Tokyo will be the perfect head turner, especially if I carry one of my walking sticks. My wife will just shake her head and disown me as usual...

Philip Marlowe

New in Town
Wow! epic610, don't leave us hanging. Please post a picture of this hat. It could have the 'magic' to change to change men's lives. Your experiences would have made neat Twilight Zone episode. Like the one titled "A Dead Man's Shoes", except yours has far happier ending.

I had a similar experience when I wore my new fedora in N.Y.C. some years ago. A pretty lady walked up to me, grabbed me by the arm, and even called me "Sir", and then she said...."You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court ..." Oh well, I guess some people got it, some people don't. ;O)

MattJH

One Too Many
epic610 said:
new hat store opens in my hometown. i question the wisdom of opening a retail store in such a small town.

Where is the store? I live in Burlington City, NJ and grew up (and still work) in Philadelphia. Your profile says you're in the suburbs...

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
I sense there is a little hyperbole in your story. Or, perhaps, people do look at you differently, but wearing a Homburg also makes you see yourself, and the way others relate to you, differently.

When planning a weekend away for my wedding anniversary, I walked into the Four Seasons at Philadelphia in my Homburg and Chesterfield coat. Approaching the receptionist (a woman) I stopped at the desk, swept my hat off (and held it, correctly, couched in my right arm, explained I was planning a stay with them, and would like to see one of the suites.

Disappointingly, I was told no rooms were available for viewing - something I can hardly believe, and not what I would expect from the Four Seasons!

Despite this serious deficiency in their service, I decided to stay there anyway. That evening, heading out for drinks at the Hotel Atop the Bellevue, before going to Georges Perrier's restaurant, Le Bec Fin, I wore my beaver top hat with my coat. This time, the response from the staff was a little different. When I asked the doorman to call us a taxi, he took one look at me, then practically fell over himself to get the hotel driver and Lincoln Town Car up for us pronto - complimentary, of course.

So if you really want to see power, put on your top hat!

epic610

One of the Regulars
Shanghailander...

great resourcefulness. i bow to your ingenuity and will have to try a top hat. as i get to philadelphis often, may even try it in the same venue.

moustache

Practically Family
Hmmmm

epic610 said:
new hat store opens in my hometown. i question the wisdom of opening a retail store in such a small town. in the past have bought my hats (Borsalino Allesandro, Christy Trilby, Stetson Open Road) at Worth and Worth in nyc. but it is getting cold and i feel some civic duty to give him some business.

he offers me a few to try on; then steps back and says, "that's it; this one really fits you. it's who you are". it is a grey Biltmore Homburg.

it is at this point that my life takes a turn ....for the better. people start referring to me as "Sir" and i have stopped having to wait in lines. when i am wearing the homburg have recently taken to double parking and notice that no one even takes a second notice.

a few explicit examples may help to understand this phenomena.

i was at a department store waiting at a register when a cute young sales woman takes my arm like i am her prom date and takes me to a private register in the back saying, "sir, you don't have to stand in line".

at the deli counter at the supermarket i take a number behind four housewife types. the man the counter motions me over and says to me discreetly, "sir, what can i get you?" i mentioned the four ladies ahead of me and he responded: "forget about them".

the best was one sleeting friday night when i got off the turnpike late and went to a local pizzeria to pick up something to eat. i was wearing black cashmere overcoat and homburg. as i walked to the back, the diners stopped talking and stared me. at the counter, the owner came out of the kitchen to personally attend to me. now, he never greets customers, preferring to stay in the kitchen with a pistol in his belt and watch italian soccer on RAI. he says, "what can i get you?".

this particular pizzeria is located in a strip mall adjacent to a very upscale neighborhood. in line ahead of me were at least a dozen physicians, corp. execs and other high income types. i mentioned the others in line, but the owner leaned into my whispering "what would you like?". i ordered a meatball sub thinking that was the order which would get me out the door quickest.

i go to NYC frequently on business and noticed when wearing the homburg that the crowds on the street parted like the red sea ahead of me. i have even begun jaywalking, which they are very strict about in the city which will arrest you and may you pay high fines. a guy i work with mentioned that when wearing the hat it is the responsibility of the traffic to stop for me. i recently jaywalked right in front of a policeman. when i glared at him from underneath the brim of the homburg, instead of arresting me he tipped his own hat to me.

This makes me want to dig out my black Borsalino Homburg and give it a try again!!! Maybe walk around the high class and posh establishments dowtown.Dressed to the nines in a black topcoat and homburg:maybe a little respect will come my way!!lol

JD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally