Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SUPER detail on vintage fedora

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Won this c. 1940(?) fedora on eBay, almost as a fluke. When it arrived, I was very surprised to find that the edge of the brim has a flexible, shapeable wire sewn into it -- this allows one to set the brim at pretty much any angle of choice, without the need for steaming. I've seen brim wires in cowboy hats and ladies' hats, but NEVER in a vintage men's fedora. It's a great detail that's a lot of fun to play with! (My hat's brim has an overwelt edge. The wire is hidden inside it.)

Wonder if any of today's hatmakers put brim wires in their fedoras?

hatsetc001.jpg

hatsetc002.jpg

hatsetc004.jpg

hatsetc003.jpg

The Duke

One of the Regulars
I like everything about that hat and the color ribbon, is that a light brown?
nice grab!

ideaguy

One Too Many
Marc- Absolutely the tops-literally- "a crown upon your head"-now that's humility from the hatter! Maybe the wire's there so if you try to take it
off, ZAP! and yes, I've heard of Fedoras with the wire brim, usually off-brands,
or as you said, Westerns-but carried over into their "city" line. Would be fun to really give the brim a completely different shape-photos??

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
For the moment, I've got the brim in a shape that I really like. When I get bored with it, I'll take photos of the next wire-twisting experiment.

Fellas, if you've never had a hat with a brim wire, I recommend trying it out! Maybe one of our esteemed hatmakers could whip one up for you.

Flex Wire

Hey Marc!

The flex wire sounds like a real hoot to play with, you can get pretty dramatic with the brim then. Does it lay out well or do you have to fiddle with it to "get it right?"

Cool color & have fun!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
John in Covina said:
Does it lay out well or do you have to fiddle with it to "get it right?"

Cool color & have fun!

Thanks so much, John! It is fun. I really like the fact that the wire holds up any gravity-defying swoop that I could ever imagine for the brim. I do have to fiddle with it, but not much. The wire is very pliable, but firm.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Man o man Marc, I saw that hat and almost bid. I am glad I did'nt, it looks great on you. FANTASTIC!! I love the ribbon color. Art, please take note.
Damn smart looking. You get the best Marc:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Thanks so much, John! It is fun. I really like the fact that the wire holds up any gravity-defying swoop that I could ever imagine for the brim. I do have to fiddle with it, but not much. The wire is very pliable, but firm.

Maybe.... Lead?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I've just learned that this kind of wire was inserted into cheaper quality hats. In the golden era (and today too?), it was perceived as a gimmick to sell inferior fedoras. Interesting, huh? In any case, I do like this particular hat and the wire too. Just thought that everyone here should know the history behind the gadget.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is interesting to note what was considered "cheaper quality" back then. I am sure the felt is better than most commercially made hats of today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe