Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses that work well with a Fedora?

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I like the small round frames or the smaller frame RayBan Aviators.

This was back when I really was a...

Fed
Oval works for me if they aren't too small. Gotta be 140mm+ wide.
IMG_20180711_114022.jpg

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had a pair of small round wires in dark blue bottle that I really liked.

74cd02a30e64d04082cb5ccc9866572d.jpg

With all the weight loss for the part, I really liked Dennis Quaid's performance as Doc Holliday. It just made him look more tuberulaor.
I had to look up tuberulaor, but the internet found nothing and so suggested tubercular, which is what I thought the meaning was.... how far off am I?

I think sometimes we over think all the rules about matching this with that, etc, etc. I have to wear Rx glasses. Have done so since I was 6 years old. I try to pick the frames with the smallest lenses so they weigh less. I think I look goofy with round lenses, but other than that I'm open... and then match a clip on style set of dark lenses to cover as sun glasses. Utilitarian, but it works for me.

My unabomber look:
i-hcZ9qvK-L.jpg

Pablo Escobar costume:
i-8sPWJD9-L.jpg

Fedora
i-rr34Xp7-L.jpg

I had to look up tuberulaor, but the internet found nothing and so suggested tubercular, which is what I thought the meaning was.... how far off am I?

I think sometimes we over think all the rules about matching this with that, etc, etc. I have to wear Rx glasses. Have done so since I was 6 years old. I try to pick the frames with the smallest lenses so they weigh less. I think I look goofy with round lenses, but other than that I'm open... and then match a clip on style set of dark lenses to cover as sun glasses. Utilitarian, but it works for me.

My unabomber look:
i-hcZ9qvK-L.jpg

Pablo Escobar costume:
i-8sPWJD9-L.jpg

Fedora
i-rr34Xp7-L.jpg
Sharp looking Doug. That Pablo Escobar idea for a costume is a hoot!

Winston Carter

Practically Family

My unabomber look:
i-hcZ9qvK-L.jpg

Pablo Escobar costume:
i-8sPWJD9-L.jpg

Fedora
i-rr34Xp7-L.jpg
IMG_20180731_095749.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the style you are looking for. Like you i'm half blind and all of my eyeglasses are prescription. These are what they call "rectangle" with 80% purple tint.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You got it! It was probably my big fingers.
That happens to me all the time when texting, fat finger syndrome I call it. I don't mind auto-correct, although if you don't keep a sharp eye on it there can be some hilarious mistakes, the best part of auto-correct is that it's practically spelt (pun intended) the death knell of text speak.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

My unabomber look:
i-hcZ9qvK-L.jpg

Pablo Escobar costume:
i-8sPWJD9-L.jpg

Fedora
i-rr34Xp7-L.jpg
Ok “Ted”...you got that look down. Careful you’re liable to get a nick name! Lol
Real nice fedora “Ted”!! Ha
Far as auto-korect...i dumped it...made me feel to smart.
B

Edward

Bartender
I wear transition lenses so I don't have to mess with/forget sunglasses.
View attachment 128681

I'm a big fan of photochromics, been using them since I was sixteen. That said, I got my first ever pair of prescription sunglasses last year and have enjoyed wearing those in the bright sun - they are darker than any photochromic lens I've ever had can go, and just a different look. Absolutely, though, transitions are a joy - especially when driving.

Can't go wrong with Aviators. Any tint. I like Purple, it's different. View attachment 128942

I have some WAyfarer copies somewhere in black with a purple lens - used to wear those a lot when I still wore contacts more regularly (also got a few pairs of legit Raybans I should clear out - bought then when I wore lenses regularly rather than just for costume work, and intended to try laser treatment, then my eyesight started to improve markedly as I hit my later 30s - common among short-sighted folks).

Was never a big fan of Aviators (associated them with some awful glasses I wore in the eighties....), but the prescription sunglasses I bought last year are a much more 30s take on them, with much rounder lenses.... very fond of those, a very 30s sort of look to them.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I'm a big fan of photochromics, been using them since I was sixteen. That said, I got my first ever pair of prescription sunglasses last year and have enjoyed wearing those in the bright sun - they are darker than any photochromic lens I've ever had can go, and just a different look. Absolutely, though, transitions are a joy - especially when driving.

I have some WAyfarer copies somewhere in black with a purple lens - used to wear those a lot when I still wore contacts more regularly (also got a few pairs of legit Raybans I should clear out - bought then when I wore lenses regularly rather than just for costume work, and intended to try laser treatment, then my eyesight started to improve markedly as I hit my later 30s - common among short-sighted folks).

Was never a big fan of Aviators (associated them with some awful glasses I wore in the eighties....), but the prescription sunglasses I bought last year are a much more 30s take on them, with much rounder lenses.... very fond of those, a very 30s sort of look to them.
I like the Transition too. I have 9 pair of grey and 1 brown. The Brown doesn't get very dark. Since I have to wear glasses I make it fun by having a good selection of frames to go with different clothes and hats.

I'm a big fan of photochromics, been using them since I was sixteen. That said, I got my first ever pair of prescription sunglasses last year and have enjoyed wearing those in the bright sun - they are darker than any photochromic lens I've ever had can go, and just a different look. Absolutely, though, transitions are a joy - especially when driving...
They must use different materials for the photochromic lenses in the UK than they do here in the US. I've had them in my prescription glasses for years and they've never gotten dark enough for me to even notice the difference, let alone be anywhere near as dark as my non-prescription sunglasses.

Also, with regards to sun protection they're nearly useless for driving in bright sunlight for me because they require UV light to change/darken, and all of the modern vehicles here have some form of UV filter in the window glass in order to protect the driver and passengers from UV exposure. o_O

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
They must use different materials for the photochromic lenses in the UK than they do here in the US. I've had them in my prescription glasses for years and they've never gotten dark enough for me to even notice the difference, let alone be anywhere near as dark as my non-prescription sunglasses.

Also, with regards to sun protection they're nearly useless for driving in bright sunlight for me because they require UV light to change/darken, and all of the modern vehicles here have some form of UV filter in the window glass in order to protect the driver and passengers from UV exposure. o_O

When I went to get my last (first) pair of distance glasses a few years ago, I was told that the 'photo-grays' (my old word for them) would not darken in a car, but they didn't give me the reason you supplied, Al, which makes sense.

So I got regular lenses and do what Tuk does - frame-matched clip-ons.

When I went to get my last (first) pair of distance glasses a few years ago, I was told that the 'photo-grays' (my old word for them) would not darken in a car, but they didn't give me the reason you supplied, Al, which makes sense...
The people at my optometrist's office never even bothered to tell me they wouldn't darken in a car; I had to find out on my own and figure the rest out. o_O

Edward

Bartender
I like the Transition too. I have 9 pair of grey and 1 brown. The Brown doesn't get very dark. Since I have to wear glasses I make it fun by having a good selection of frames to go with different clothes and hats.

I think that's a great idea - I'm building up the collection myself as my eyesight stabilises again. Always nice to have the option of different looks. My favourite styles are all browlines, but I'm keen on adding some more pre-1947 styles for an earlier look too.

I don't know, tbh... Mine definitely don't go as dark as the sunglasses, but plenty dark enough for most daily usage in most weather conditions, especially if I'm not spending the whole day outside (which, especially in Summer, is of course when the prescription sunglasses come into their own).

now that's interesting to know.... Last car I drove was twenty years ago, I realise (no need for a car living in central London). Maybe time for the prescription windscreen? (Old Billy Connolly joke.) I've actually seen a motorcycle helmet where the visor is (non-prescription) photochromic, which would be something. Maybe they'll deal with it that way eventually. My optician also offers an anti-glare treatment for driving, that may be why it's so popular now.

So I got regular lenses and do what Tuk does - frame-matched clip-ons.

I'm well tempted to pick up one of those for some of my Shuron Ronsirs - a little more hassle than the tints, but a very cool period look.

I'm well tempted to pick up one of those for some of my Shuron Ronsirs - a little more hassle than the tints, but a very cool period look.

I’ve had prescription sunglasses in the past (the last being Ray-Ban Clubmasters). Since my lenses have gotten so expensive (prisms in both) I opted to go the clip-on route this time around. Shuron makes clip-ons for the specific Ronsir frame size. Not cheap, but I like ‘em.

639c4e58767548fd67017c772fa0a582.jpg

Yep, them's the ones. They're much more elegant than any other clip-ons I've seen. Do they stay in place well in practice?
I don't remember the brand but since I wear mostly wire frames I tried a pair of brand/frame matching magnetic sunglasses a few yrs ago. They're laying out along the highway somewhere now from the first time I forgot about having them on & went out on the motorcycle.

I don't like lanyards or cords, so I have lost a couple of pair of prescription sunglasses to the bottom of the lake too. Now I try to have a pair with cable ear pieces for that vary reason but cable frames are hard to find.

Edward

Bartender
I don't remember the brand but since I wear mostly wire frames I tried a pair of brand/frame matching magnetic sunglasses a few yrs ago. They're laying out along the highway somewhere now from the first time I forgot about having them on & went out on the motorcycle.

I don't like lanyards or cords, so I have lost a couple of pair of prescription sunglasses to the bottom of the lake too. Now I try to have a pair with cable ear pieces for that vary reason but cable frames are hard to find.

Shuron do them with the Ronsirs, as well as several other models. I've always wondered why they aren't more common myself, given how much they protect the frames from losses like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe