Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Fashion

BombshellMomma

New in Town
Does anyone have any 1940-1950's summer fashion ideas. It is killer hot where I live- 112 the other day and I don't have a clue what I should be wearing. I usually wear my jeans rolled up with a button up shirt and wedges with the emphasis on my hairstyle. I am getting tired of my jeans and we have just begun the hot weather. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Yes, Goldwyn Girl has made some fabulous sundresses. Another good option for looking the part while beating the heat are playsuits. Those were a casual option in the era you are interested in.

olive bleu

One Too Many
except on really windy days, i love sundresses with circle skirts.I can't deal with pants of any length on hot days.*yucky*

Sunny

One Too Many
As I'm sure you've figured out, jeans are pretty darned hot. The coolest thing of all, in my opinion, is a light cotton or linen dress with an A-line or fuller skirt. Lightweight and crisp, not clingy, for as much breeze as possible. Wear sandals; they're quite period, and easier to deal with than wedges when you're that hot. Run away from the synthetics and the knits. Wearing a synthetic fiber is like wearing a trash sack! Also, cottons and linens wash well. In 110+ degree heat, you're going to be sweating, so wear clothes that won't be damanged by sweat and can be washed often. I wouldn't do that to a nice rayon.

Your other options are sundresses and playsuits. They're not my personal favorites for really hot weather unless you're guaranteed to be in the shade. Too much skin exposed to a fierce sun makes you feel hotter than if you were fully covered. If you aren't going to be in the sun, though, there are a multitude of options. I've been wanting to see someone make up a playsuit set. Patterns are all over ebay, with shorts, blouses or bikini tops, button-front cover-up skirts... really cute!

The Shirt

Practically Family
For tops I am fond of a cute teatimer. How about a pair of highwaisted shorts ( I think Valerie Amelia made a real cute pair). I'm a skirt and dress girl most time. But I'll admit on the hottest days nothing works. I powder up and hope for the best. I agree that a sturdy fabric that can be washed a lot is a must. I tend to reserve my best vintage for evenings when it cools and use my reproductions for daytime. Also -I've tried to add those pads (cannot think of the proper name) under the armpits to try and save the dresses from damage.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Couldn't find a post on ebay that was over to illustrate. It's a sleeveless 50's button down shirt. Usually has an asian type collar and typically I've seen them in asian or hawaiian type prints. Looks great with capris or shorts.

BombshellMomma

New in Town
Thanks

Thanks for your lovely ideas everyone. I have only a few articles of clothing that I thought were more casual but after reading a thread on over or under dressing I felt I needed a little direction. What about stockings? I thought I had read that stockings were a must in any dress but such heat is unbearable. Should I self tanner myself and call it even or should i suck it up and throw on some hose? thanks in advance :)

The Shirt

Practically Family
When it's that hot - I omit the stockings. But I am not a "purest" either. Slap on the tanner and call it good I say.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
BombshellMomma said:
What about stockings? I thought I had read that stockings were a must in any dress but such heat is unbearable. Should I self tanner myself and call it even or should i suck it up and throw on some hose? thanks in advance :)

I agree with The Shirt. While propriety of the day said that stockings were a must, it wasn't always followed as law. During the 1930s and 1940s due to poverty and war rationing respectively, many women went without stockings, especially I suspect, in the summer. Instead they used leg paint and drew on the seams with eyebrow pencils.
During the Depression when my Grandmother was in high school and ladies were required to have stockings to attend, this is what she and my great-aunt did. They would take turns standing on a chair and drawing on each others seams. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
BombshellMomma said:
Thanks for your lovely ideas everyone. I have only a few articles of clothing that I thought were more casual but after reading a thread on over or under dressing I felt I needed a little direction. What about stockings? I thought I had read that stockings were a must in any dress but such heat is unbearable. Should I self tanner myself and call it even or should i suck it up and throw on some hose? thanks in advance :)

I don't bother with pantyhose except at work. As for tanner, there are one or two threads in praise of women of palor. Pale is the new tan, I say.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
BombshellMomma said:
What about stockings? I thought I had read that stockings were a must in any dress but such heat is unbearable. Should I self tanner myself and call it even or should i suck it up and throw on some hose? thanks in advance :)

Are you going for super authentic? Will you be wearing this at a reenactment or living history event? If not, then skip the stockings! When it hits 100F, comfort rules over beauty, in my opinion. As for what to wear, lose the jeans! Skirts and dresses are much more comfortable in hot weather and you will always look more put together in a dress.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
For an authentic to the war years look, you can forgoe stockings due to the fact that they were in short supply. You would have saved them for special occasions. I don't wear stockings all the time at reenactments. It depends on what I am wearing.

Samantha

Foofoogal

Banned
except on really windy days, i love sundresses with circle skirts

Hopefully this doesn't sound awful but I have been wearing skirts and sundresses the last few summers here in Texas.
As we don't have alot of wind most of the time I was taken aback the other day walking thru the parking lot of a grocery store. I was having a heck of a time holding my skirt down.
The funny thing is I felt more girly than I had in years. I must of gone back in time to when I was a girl for a minute there in memories. lol
Doesn't skirts and dresses just make you feel more girly. I have been noticing ladies in skirts and am seeing more. Not necessarily vintage but it is the style more. It is so hot in Texas that I almost start looking differently at the ladies in pants and shorts. Strange really. They just look not cool. lol

Sunny

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Bobby socks and saddles or canvas playshoes are also period-correct informal alternatives to stockings in the summertime!
Thank you, Lizzie! I've been watching the Shorpy photo blog, and it's amazing the number of women - from girls to quite mature ladies - wearing short socks with saddle or plain shoes. This is from the 1930s onward, too. Stockings are NOT required.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I found a great pair of high-waisted shorts at old navy for $15-25. They aren't super high-waisted, but they cover my hips and that's good enough for me! I one pair in black and one in dark grey. I've been wearing them a lot with cute blouses and wedges. Not the most vintage thing in the world, but it's nice when it's hot out.

alexandra

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
I guess I am the only insane one who finds wearing a skirt in the summer warmer and more miserable then trousers....must be the whole sweaty fat thighs rubbing together thing...

A few years ago I might have agreed with you, but I now wear these neat little breathable short things I found in the dollar store and cut shorter to prevent fatman rash. Attractive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82