Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Attire

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Whats ever wearing in the summer. I've decided to go semi Hemingway/cubano. Linen camp shirts, khaki or linen shorts, a Hemingway style cotton fishing hat or straw and deck shoes. Rayon pants when the need calls or Aloha shirts. Other than the khakis that are alway prevelant.

Mike K.

One Too Many
You and I must have similar wardrobes Nick. My summer (i.e. year 'round) attire is about the same...lot's of cotton, linen, and rayon. There's a lot of Hawaiian shirts in my closet, along with shirts of a less loud pattern, paired with khakis (pants or shorts) and some well-worn deck shoes. Of course there are also numerous days when my "uniform" of choice is a simple t-shirt & shorts paired with my high top Converse "Chucks" or flip-flops, topped off with a cotton "boonie" style fishing hat. For whatever reason, I tend to have mood swings that lead me towards either the laid-back Jimmy Buffett beach look or the more classy Hemmingway-esque attire.
:cool2:

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately...

...I can't wear shorts, due to skinny chicken legs, fair skin and a tendency to burn. The last time I wore shorts, I got second-degree burns from thigh to toe, even with SPF 50 on. Nope, it's pants and long sleeves and a hat for me, and keep away from the beach! I can only swim for about 20-30 minutes before beginning the broiling process. Then it's back under the canopy of a nearby bar with a cool drink.

Usually, in the summer, it's jeans or linen pants and a white shirt, unless I'm wearing a suit or other jacket. In that case, I have two cream-colored linen suits, a cream silk suit, a seersucker suit and a few light jackets. I can only dress like this if I'm travelling in a friend's car or am within walking distance of wherever I'm going. Most of the year, since my sole means of transportation is a motorcycle, I'm in a leather jacket along with boots of some sort, even in summer. I learned the hard way that linen, wool, cotton and other materials don't prevent road rash.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Pretty much same as winter - lighter weight slacks (often a wool/synthetic blend), short sleeve shirt or golf shirt. Summer at a university is a casual dress period.

And, of course, a Panama.

RevWarTaylor

New in Town
How about those nice summer shoes....the ones with the canvas uppers and leather tow caps and sides? I have a pair that I wear in the summer....but unfortunately they are wearing out fast

Love to find a nice linen suit for the summer....and idea where to look...havent found many on ebay but im still looking!

NTHurst

Well since the weather's heating up, all that tweed i bought last winter is unwearable.

I have a bunch of linen trousers i'll be rotating. And i've just secured purchase of a Palm Beach suit! White bucks for when needed.

For the feet: Can't beat "Jesus" sandals. Nice 'n airy on those hot humid days.

Wide brimmed Panama Hat.

Probably work through my short sleeve shirts also.

Shorts for when i'm on my bicycle.

bk

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Not much change for me, really.

Fo summer, I change over to my light colored and/or light weight suits. I still wear wingtips most everyday, except for when I wear my cap toe spectators. The only time I wear a short sleeve shirt, and in fact, the only time I'm somewhat casual, is when I wear my Hawaiian shirt with my sand-colored suit. No tie that day, of course!

I do tend to wear my Panama hat, and only rarely, my lightweight Borsalino. I really should get a couple more Panamas so I can rotate them.

Brad

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
For work I just shift over to lightweight chinos and short sleeved shirts. I wear shorts if we are in the field, usually with a quick dry shirt and desert combat boots. At this time of year I need a jacket in the morning, too. Last Thursday I scraped ice off my truck at 6 am, and was in short sleeves by noon. We went from 35 when I got up to almost 70 at lunch.

My typical field hat is a Barmah Drover Cooler, but I need a better field hat. Something that is comfortable to wear for 8 to 9 hours in some seriously hot sun, but I absolutely hate floppy bucket or boonie hats. I'm still considering a Tilley, but I'm not crazy about how floppy theirs can be. Any recommendations?

In my casual hours I stick pretty close to a modern interpretation of the British Colonial look. Shorts (like my Willis and Geiger Ghurka shorts), LL Bean field shirts, my canvas Commando chukka boots, and my Akubra Flinders. I also have a range of Hawaiian shirts, sandals (with a closed toe), and the same shorts, with a straw hat.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nick Charles said:
Whats ever wearing in the summer. I've decided to go semi Hemingway/cubano.
So, you're going "Hemingway" Style.
Why, I'm flattered.
Thank you very much!
Oh, wait... It's not me... What's that. Oh, the OTHER Hemingway.
The real Hemingway? Wait a minute.. ;) :)

For me it's Poplin suits for work. God Bless Brooks Bros.
I also have a cotton navy pinstripe suit from J. Crew for high summer.

Casual, it's safari gear and linen trousers with linen shirts. Panama Hat, of course, and guayaberas. I have a couple of linen short sleeve shirts.

For dressier occasions, it's seersucker, navy blazers, and my Hollywood jacket.

I just bought a pair of white Topsider tennis shoes for my Howard Hughes look. I am looking forward to wearing my lighter colored spectators and docksiders.

It's going to be a great year!

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Jack maybe one of these would fit the bill

2425.jpg

http://www.quakermarine.com/catalog_item_2425.asp

This is where I got the Hemingway style cap.

Do you like the Ghurka shorts? I want a pair but I won't pay 98 bucks at Bills Khakis.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
Jack maybe one of these would fit the bill

2425.jpg

http://www.quakermarine.com/catalog_item_2425.asp

This is where I got the Hemingway style cap.

Do you like the Ghurka shorts? I want a pair but I won't pay 98 bucks at Bills Khakis.

Nick, I like that hat! One of the things I like about my Barmah is that it has the nylon stiffener in the brim so it doesn't flop down. These seem to have that, too. There's a few hats I like there, too. I really like the linen touring cap and the twill Transatlantic yacht cap.

I love my Ghurka shorts, but I have to wear my short tucked in with them. The buckles tend to cut into your side when seated. I agree on the Bill's Khakis, too! By the way, they've apparently upped the price to $110 for the summer! I'm also not crazy about that cargo pocket. I like the more formal look of pleated shorts for some occaisions, but cargo pockets ruin that. My first pair was Banana Republic, but they, uh, kept getting smaller year by year... Then when Willis and Geiger was closing down I grabbed two pair. Only one remains.

RevWarTaylor said:
Love to find a nice linen suit for the summer....and idea where to look...havent found many on ebay but im still looking!

NTHurst

I'd like to find a good linen suit, too. Hemingway Jones recommended the J. Crew linen suit. They are priced pretty well as it is, and he has had luck finding them at outlets.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Well, I've updated my summer attire as of late. I'm going for lightweight shirts, lightweight blazer, jeans (unless I get lighter pants) and a panama hat. I already have the blazer and more than enough shirts and my hat. :)
S4021972copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe