Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits - Pre 1920

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
late teens colourized:

colourized_boxing_zps2780dbcd.jpg

Papperskatt

Practically Family
look at the neck opening on the guy in the three piece it looks like it's shaped to suit his tie/cravat?
Yes, very interesting. I have never seen anything like it.

I also really like the very low flap breast pocket (with the flap tucked in).

Is the photo in England?

Bannerman played on that pre-ashes tour of England. The guys in front have attitudes very much like a sports team. There are 7 people (including the one I think is Bannerman) wearing the same buttonhole decoration/rosette. Out on a limb, I would say this is taken at one of the Australian tour matches on the 1890 series.

In the background to the right looks like the kind of gantry that would have been used for in-play photography.

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Hmm looks like Scots pines in the background which would suggest Northern England or maybe Canada???
there a Postie or two/three? in the crowd with a laurel leaf type badge which should give a country at least..or he could be a railwayman I suppose? absolutely fantastic photograph!

The general shape is right for the postal cap introduced in the early 1860s and in service long into the C20th. I'm not sure about the device though. These type caps were also used for various military uniforms and I'm sure for other uniformed workers so it could be something like that.

$T2eC16N,!)cFIeHn+D6IBScow27zeQ~~60_12.JPG

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
some of the other caps and straw hats make me think it has an un English feel to it...I couldn't find a match for them either TT, isn't the internet great that you can get several blokes around the world researching a photo for no reason other than their love of history and clothes?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe