Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits - Pre 1920

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
don't know how i missed that... i check the U.S. pre-30s newly listed stuff everyday ! :confused:

shame about the condition.

p.s. the jacket is quite short compared to the arm length.

Last edited:

Papperskatt

Practically Family
I had a suit dated May 28th 1911 it was a bit small for me and I sold it to a friend of mine. It was definitely a forward thinking young mans design as it was fitted and had 2 high stance buttons. I love that this thread was started I'm a huge fan of the teens.

Do you have any pictures of that suit? :)

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Thank you. Yes, the tie looks very nice. Anyone more knowledgable than me care to take a guess to how old it might be?

790341996_o.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I noticed that the man on the upper right appears to be wearing a casual hat. Is it a pith helmet? On the two above suits, the sleeve buttons look to be spaced further away than they would most commonly be later. I like these suits, but I'd prefer to wear one with slightly longer trousers.

I just bought this waist seam suit off of eBay.

View attachment 18633

I am SO excited; I'm literally jumping up and down right now. :D Never thought that I'd find a original.

It looks black from the pictures but apparently it's blue. I assume navy.

This is a very nice looking suit, congratulations!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Some serious anorexia going on here. Almost cartoonish.

The illustrations do look exaggeratedly disproportionate. The legs and the feet all look long, and the waists are very slim. They still look a bit better than many of the fashion models for suits in recent times, though!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
That was my first thought too but there's something that doesn't make sense about it for me. I would love to see a pic of that jacket closed.

looks like a very-narrow-wrap DB. the button nearest the front edge would be the internal button. closed, it would look similar to this:

jazz_cut_down_zps15895090.jpg
ScreenShot2014-10-11at200756_zps48f22dfe.png

edit: ok, i've worked it out. it would look like this:

ScreenShot2014-10-11at202049_zps2c60f63e.png

no ... forget that, it doesn't work. internal buttons are on the other side. :confused:
that's why this suit is confusing.

other solution: the button nearest the edge is a link-button... the buttons above are non-functionals.

like this:

011_zps10e792f3.jpeg

012_zps012b2486.jpeg

but (with photoshop) like this:

01_zps5c87a283.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe