Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit critique #2 please?

Rooster

Practically Family
You guys all had so much fun with # 1 we'll try another. This one is in linen from mycustomtailor.com. The pull at the button is from my belt buckle ( really:rolleyes: ) I havn't got suspender buttons sewn in yet. I tried it with clip on (*gasp*) suspenders and the pull goes away. I gave them the measurements straight off the ol' Rooster body and also from a '41 dated suit jacket and a 30's pair of pants that I have. I'm not sure which measurements they went with, but the pants are pretty close to my 30's pants. I was hoping for a little more belly on the suit lapels and maybe a little higher button stance. Being linen, this stuff really wrinkles. It was frightfull out of the box, but I hung it for a few days and it straightened it's self out. I actually ironed it before these photos. I probably sat for 10 minutes to get those wrinkles in the pants front, but that's what linen is all about!
Here's the suit style from MCT.http://www.mycustomtailor.com/fabrics.php?styleID=8332#home
So, What do you fellers think? Be honest now, I thought the last critique to be very helpfull.
mct1.jpg

mct2.jpg

mct3.jpg

mct4.jpg

mct5.jpg

mct6.jpg

mct7.jpg

mct8.jpg

Rooster

Practically Family
I ordered this pretty much "stock". If I did it again I'd go with 5" lapels. It currently has 4 3/8 lapels. I ordered suspender buttons and a button fly, but that must have got lost in translation.... They recommended lining the trousers as they said the pants would be see through. I took their recommendation but I'm not sure if that was necessary, but I must say they are comfortable with that slick lining.

I kinda associate this type of suit with a relaxed, tropical almost casual atmosphere, and this one sure seems to fit the bill .

I was thinking you might try pairing it with one of the shorter vintage ties.

Enjoy!

Rooster

Practically Family
I was thinking you might try pairing it with one of the shorter vintage ties.
Yep, I agree. I've got some 30's shorties that will be perfect for this suit. As luck will have it, we're having a high of 63* here in Iowa today. I get a nice linen suit and summer is over....there's always next year!lol

GBR

One of the Regulars
The jacket looks far too tight but the trousers are not too bad.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Very nice; that style was on my list to try before I saw the photographs and seeing this one on you confirms my decision. Did you get it with the waistcoat? If so, could you show us how the whole ensemble looks? A further benefit that I understand one gets from lined trousers is that it protects the trousers from bagging at the knee, so I think lining might be worth having just from that point of view, especially with a lighter fabric such as linen.

Micawber

A-List Customer
Trousers are better than the other. I would like to see more side views of the jacket as the front back balance seems a bit off.

Feraud

Bartender
Looking very good Rooster. I like the cut and material of the suit and you picked the perfect (imho) hat, shirt, tie, and shoes! :eusa_clap
Bring on those wrinkes. It looks like you are wearing that suit and not the other way around.
Bravo.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Aw, crud, looks like my suit accidentally ended up at your place. Sorry about that. To make up for your trouble, I'll gladly pay whatever shipping costs it takes to send it to it's rightful owner [angel] :D

GBR

One of the Regulars
Kentucky Blues said:
Aw, crud, looks like my suit accidentally ended up at your place. Sorry about that. To make up for your trouble, I'll gladly pay whatever shipping costs it takes to send it to it's rightful owner [angel] :D

Another Magnoli problem? Shipping goods to the wrong address?

This firm seems to need a very wide berth on the basis of reported experience of the last ten days.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
GBR said:
Another Magnoli problem? Shipping goods to the wrong address?

This firm seems to need a very wide berth on the basis of reported experience of the last ten days.

he was joking.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Yes, I was joking GBR, that was my way of saying that I'm jealous of his incredible suit. And this is a MyCustomTailor.com suit, not a Magnoli Clothiers suit. :)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Say, not a bad little suit there Rooster!

The cut is nice; it seems to be a rather close copy of what you wanted. The pants look correct if they were copied from measurements of a 30’s pair. The pleats are correct and that’s what makes it for me.

Linen; I’m not a real big fan of linen… it is very comfortable, and fun to ware but, it wrinkles so bad… especially when new. I’d love to see this suit made in a heavier wool… maybe even make it a three piece… send them photos and dimensions of a 30’s suit vest and then have them copy that… I think you’d have a very period looking suit for winter!

Enjoy the suit, it looks nice… oh, and a period tip… press the sleeves and get a nice crease down the middle… that would ad a very nice sharp 30's look!;)

FM~

Rooster

Practically Family
Forgotten Man said:
Say, not a bad little suit there Rooster!

The cut is nice; it seems to be a rather close copy of what you wanted. The pants look correct if they were copied from measurements of a 30’s pair. The pleats are correct and that’s what makes it for me.

Linen; I’m not a real big fan of linen… it is very comfortable, and fun to ware but, it wrinkles so bad… especially when new. I’d love to see this suit made in a heavier wool… maybe even make it a three piece… send them photos and dimensions of a 30’s suit vest and then have them copy that… I think you’d have a very period looking suit for winter!

Enjoy the suit, it looks nice… oh, and a period tip… press the sleeves and get a nice crease down the middle… that would ad a very nice sharp 30's look!;)

FM~
Yes, I already have plans to try this pattern again in a wool gaberdine, the color of blue you see so many vintage suits in. I'll pop the lapels out to 5" and get a button fly and suspender buttons, otherwise I'll go with a duplicate of this one and add the waist coat. I didn't get the waist coat made for this linen one. I figured it would defeat the purpose of beating these hot and humid Iowa summers.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
That would only defeat the purpose if you wore it with the jacket. You could always get the vest and not where it sometimes, and other times wear the vest without the jacket. But I agree that you should also go with the same suit in wool next time, just because that suit is nice enough to have multiples of!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Rooster said:
Yes, I already have plans to try this pattern again in a wool gaberdine, the color of blue you see so many vintage suits in. I'll pop the lapels out to 5" and get a button fly and suspender buttons, otherwise I'll go with a duplicate of this one and add the waist coat. I didn't get the waist coat made for this linen one. I figured it would defeat the purpose of beating these hot and humid Iowa summers.

Ah, the classic blue gab suit... a nice choice... however, if you can get your hands on a nice wool... a heavier wool maybe with a stripe or a windowpane, I'd go for that... have a little fun with it. After all, ya only live once! ;)

FM~

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Rooster said:
I ordered this pretty much "stock". If I did it again I'd go with 5" lapels. It currently has 4 3/8 lapels.

5" lapels? Measuring from where to where? It just seemed incredibly wide if you mean width, like a 70's suit or something. Just trying to understand the concepts. Thanks.

Nice suit by the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe