Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for a good golf hat

santa fe

New in Town
I wear a variety of hats and caps for golf- ball caps, linen newsboy, safari breezer that is actually rather hot and heavy and tried a panama, but the brim flops around too much on a breezy day. I have seen a Tilley R3 Raffia crushable at 4.9 oz. that looks nice. Does anyone have this hat or can comment on other suggestions?
Thank you!

duggap

Banned
I know what you mean with the panama brims. But for you to have that happen you must be getting a fairly nice weave. Try a Cuenca weave that is not too expensive and the brim should be stiffened enough for what you want. The cheaper hat will not be so closely weaved so as to allow some breathing and it should be cooler. :)

carldelo

One Too Many
I suggest checking out the ubiquitous Akubra Capricorn, a well-regarded polypro straw hat that comes in gray or fawn. The material looks like Milan straw, with an open weave around the crown. Mine is cool, and would stand up to being caught in the rain. If you want more than the 2-1/2" brim, there's the Akubra Country Club with a 3" brim that comes in cream, fawn and white, some with a green under-brim to cut glare. EA got Akubra to make me a gray Capricorn in size 62 (the first one, I think) which I appreciated:

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=530

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
You could try one of these number like Mr. Bogart.:)
24292885_830d81d7d3_o.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

jpbales

Practically Family
Miller Milan

I would say that a Miller Milan is the way to go. I've recently got one and I am VERY happy with it. The weave is loose enough to provide ventilation, it is made of natural material (not polypro), they look GREAT, and hold their shape very well. I put a few coats of Scotchguard and wore it in the rain, and it held up without any problems. I wore mine during a long, hot graduation ceremony and it kept me nice and cool! :cool:
They come with different creases, brim sizes, and colors AND you can request other ribbons/bands if you see one on a different style hat you like.

Here's the website:
centerdents:
http://millerhats.com/milancd_index/index.html
teardrops:
http://millerhats.com/milantd_index/index.html

Oh yes, the best part, they are much cheaper than most panamas.
Good luck with your search!
Jim

santa fe

New in Town
Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. I now have to decide on the Akubra and the Miller Adams- both are very nice. Then possibly a Cuenca; had one a few years ago that I liked very much but I cannot recall if the brim was more substantial or not.

Did like the Bogy suggestion. I would just need to replace the unfiltered Camel with a cigar to go with his flask of Bourbon.
Dan also love that Johnny Depp photo. Check out the July issue of Vanity Fair where he is wearing a Panama and a linen newsboy.

Thanks again!!!

carldelo

One Too Many
Love the ribbon on the Adams, especially with the cocoa color - interesting that the center dent Milans come in a choice of 3 brim sizes, but the teardrop only comes in the largest size. What colors and brim sizes are you taking?

jpbales

Practically Family
I actually got the "Danville" in cocoa and it has the same ribbon, and it matches quite well- and the ribbon is very unique:

TopSideAngle-2.jpg

Ribbon.jpg

carldelo said:
Love the ribbon on the Adams, especially with the cocoa color - interesting that the center dent Milans come in a choice of 3 brim sizes, but the teardrop only comes in the largest size. What colors and brim sizes are you taking?

carldelo

One Too Many
Nice JP - that's the one I had my eye on, the Danville in cocoa. I prefer a teardrop to a center dent. The ribbon looks even nicer up close - great pic. Who knows, maybe Miller could be coaxed to do one with a 2-1/4" brim, hmm.....

Stoney

Practically Family
Try a flamethrower

LOL

I would love to take a flame thrower to every golf course in the US.

I know that sounds weird, but I look at it like this... There are plenty of golf courses for the rich to play and not enough parks for the kids to play. Let's turn some of those exclusive clubs into public parks. Sorry if this offends any avid golfers. Just my opinion. It would be nice to have enough recreational space for the kids too.

PS .. That's a joke about the flame thrower! Don't take it seriously.

santa fe

New in Town
I ended up ordering two hats- the Miller Adams, which is a great hat. Also ordered the Tilley R3 Raffia. Interesting hat. It is quite large with a rolled brim and looks exactly like the hat Clint Eastwood wore in The Outlaw Josey Wales, except in raffia. It is soft and flexible but rather heavy: heavier than the 4.9 oz. that Tilley states. In any event, it just did not meet the need so I returned it and ordered the Joe Fedora from Noggintops. After speaking with a rep from San Francisco Hat Co. I think it work. BTW- they are very nice and helpful. They also make the Tilley packable and the Travel Smith packable straw hat.

carldelo

One Too Many
santa fe said:
I ended up ordering two hats- the Miller Adams, which is a great hat. Also ordered the Tilley R3 Raffia. Interesting hat. It is quite large with a rolled brim and looks exactly like the hat Clint Eastwood wore in The Outlaw Josey Wales, except in raffia. It is soft and flexible but rather heavy: heavier than the 4.9 oz. that Tilley states. In any event, it just did not meet the need so I returned it and ordered the Joe Fedora from Noggintops. After speaking with a rep from San Francisco Hat Co. I think it work. BTW- they are very nice and helpful. They also make the Tilley packable and the Travel Smith packable straw hat.

The Joe Fedora is a great hat - I'm wearing mine today. It is nearly indestructible and looks passably like Milan straw, plus it's very cool and sheds water. BTW I got road tar on mine last summer and it came right out with a toothbrush and dish soap. I also accidentally left it on the back seat of the car underneath a gear bag for most of a day and it was fine afterwards. I keep meaning to convert the somewhat cumbersome wind cord into a standard wrap-around-the-crown wind cord, but haven't done it yet.

warbird

One Too Many
Stoney said:
LOL

I would love to take a flame thrower to every golf course in the US.

I know that sounds weird, but I look at it like this... There are plenty of golf courses for the rich to play and not enough parks for the kids to play. Let's turn some of those exclusive clubs into public parks. Sorry if this offends any avid golfers. Just my opinion. It would be nice to have enough recreational space for the kids too.

PS .. That's a joke about the flame thrower! Don't take it seriously.

Well.... maybe you should move.

Where I live there are plenty of parks for the kids and plenty of golf courses for the golfers. Oh and by the way, our golf courses run from $7 and up to play a round. It is often full of retired folks and 90+% are hardly rich.

No I don't play golf much. I spend all of my time shooting, got no time for golf.

jthix

New in Town
Golfing hats?

What hats do you like to go golfing in on a nice sunny day?

I imagine a gambler type hat would a be a popular choice.

randooch

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe