Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuck Inside - Lake Effect Blizzard

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Those who have never experienced Lake Effect snow don't know what they are missing! lol

I'm in Erie, PA off of Lake Erie. One third of Erie County got about an 1" of snow...another got about 6" ...others got nearly a foot or more! Schools are closed. Some roads are impassable. And more is on the way tonight. This is the second lake effect snow storm of the season. I have already used up on 40lbs bucket of salt. It is wet, heavy, heart attack snow.

Meanwhile, I am here stuck at home. Haven't seen a plow because we live on a cul-de-sac and are the last to get plowed.

The great thing is that I have time to watch some TCM and drink hot tea and cocoa.

Here's the views from my windows.

IMG00306.jpg

IMG00300.jpg

And as much as I think this sucks, it can't measure up the horrors of the Southern Californian wildfires. At least we don't lose our homes when it snows.

The Shirt

Practically Family
See now I believe there are worse places than Minnesota for snow. Everyone warned me that I would hate it up here, but honestly I look around the country and see things like your post and I feel like "what the heck were they talking about!?!" We have yet to see snow. Not that it is not coming - but it's been a lot less than I expected. We never get snow days. In the 8 years here - I've had one.

I sure would like to join you though for some movies and tea!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
My husband went to college at Edinborough, we know all about lake effect snow. In fact, I live 2 hours south of you and your weather front has now moved down to us! We don't get slammed nearly as bad as you do, though. Who would have thought that we'd have a white Thanksgiving?

I quite like the snow. It's so pretty when it's freshly fallen. It's not nearly as bad as everyone thinks, I've never been stuck in my house for more than a few hours. Although my hubby once got snowed in in Sommerset, PA, for 2 days. The snow came up to the second floor deck! The only thing I really don't like about snow is having to shovel it. When you get slammed with a big storm, shoveling can be back-breaking labor. There have been times where we got so much snow that we ran out of places to shovel it to because the snow piles got so high and the snow was so heavy we couldn't reach the top of the piles anymore.

Inky

One Too Many
WOW! Lovely to look at in a picture but I cannot even fathom living in that kind of weather. Or any actual "weather" beyond mid 70's and sunny, occasionally wet and sometimes foggy. I can't even recall the last time I saw snow, but it had to be over ten years ago.

Good luck and try to stay sane while house-bound!

Foofoogal

Banned
Fabulous photos. It looks so cold though. I think this is going to be a cold hard winter across the board.
I have not seen snow since 2004 so looking forward to some.
It was about 21 degrees this morning here is Arkansas. My honey is having a ball and becoming a fire bug I think building fires in our fireplace. The kindling King. lol

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Thanks for all the posts...I can feel the warmth of good people! The sun is shining right now. It is usually a bad sign though because it warms the upper atmosphere and helps create the heavy, wet snow. We are expecting another blast late this afternoon and into the evening.

Yesterday, and this past Sunday, we had thundersnow...Yup, thunder and lightening during a blizzard. Freaky as all get out. As Lewis Black said, "that ain't even in the Bible!"

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Brian Sheridan said:
Yesterday, and this past Sunday, we had thundersnow...Yup, thunder and lightening during a blizzard. Freaky as all get out. As Lewis Black said, "that ain't even in the Bible!"

We had that 2 years ago. The sky turned that weird color it does before something big like a hurricane hits and the atmosphere was charged from all the electricity. I was commuting at the time and I asked my husband to pick me up at the trolly stop because I didn't want to walk in it because the lightening was so bad. On the way home a big bolt hit the ground beside my husbands truck and it fried the radio in his truck. The crack that bolt made was so loud, I came very close to needing a clean pair of underpants that night.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Well, I certainly can't relate to the "cabin fever" that folks up north experience every year, mainly because I'm from New Mexico and get a comfy and cozy feeling when I think about snow. Usually here, we get enough snow every once in a while to lock things in for maybe a day, and then I keep my fingers crossed that for that day, I can stay inside and not do any work and simply keep myself busy with hot cocoa, a fire, and a book. :)

New Mexico has yet to see a single snowflake this season too...

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
WOW! Lovely to look at in a picture but I cannot even fathom living in that kind of weather. Or any actual "weather" beyond mid 70's and sunny, occasionally wet and sometimes foggy. I can't even recall the last time I saw snow, but it had to be over ten years ago.

Good luck and try to stay sane while house-bound!

I think that's the primary reason I'll be staying on the East Coast. Call it masochism, but I'll take sub-zero before even mild humidity any day.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Home Sweet Home!

Ah, the fond memories. As you know, Brian, I grew up in Chautauqua NY, just 40 miles east of you. I keep in touch with the weather up there by pulling up the Bestor Plaza Webcam, and watching their streaming image. Since I use MS Internet Explorer, I enlarge the image about 230%, so it's almost full screen.
It's been an early and cold winter, and even here in NYC there have been flurries spotted (tho not by me). Can't wait.
http://www.ciweb.org/webcam.html
This may be the moment to revive or bump the "First snow" thread I started last year. The coolest image last year was from Trondheim Norway, as I recall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe