Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratoliner pin

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Hold your horses, boys...

We're getting there... I have obtained original TWA pins for: 1) Stratoliner; 2) DC-3; and 3) Constellation. I also have a TWA Stratoliner Club .925 Sterling token (half dollar size). These have been sent to a custom jewler for replication.

Recasts will be available through me with the proceeds (above my cost) going to support the Fedora Lounge.

Here are the particulars...

• All pins will be available either in .925 Sterling or 14kt gold over .925 sterling.
  • The TWA on the gold versions will be filled in with red enamel just like the originals.
  • The tokens will be cast in solid .925 sterling.
  • Pins are $25 each or two for $45.
  • Price of the tokens hasn't been determined, but my guesstimate is $50.00.
  • I have sent MK copies of the DC-3 and Strat pins to be photographed.
Please DON'T PM me for these yet. I will make a further announcement as to availability. It should be early September.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Here's a scan of the token...

Slightly larger than full-size (1.25 inches):

Stratoliner_Token.jpg

Afraid that the scans of the pins don't come out so great. Will try and get photos up.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Very nice indeed!:eusa_clap Is the color of the hat in the photo true to the hat? I've been wanting to get one of those because I thought the green was very sharp looking.

Cheers!

Dan

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah... the Boeing 307 Stratoliner

This airliner was designed to take advantage of the B-17 jigs in the Boeing factory. This is a new fuselage (pressurized, I might add) with a B-17 'Flying Fortress' empennage and wing assembly. Only one left; it took a dive in Lake Washington a few years ago and is now static at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum.

I personally have a much rarer bird on my Borsalino.
cf9fd205.jpg

Douglas was pitching a new replacement for the DC-3 back in the mid-30's and they convinced several airlines to contribute to a design. What they came up with was the 'Sky Sovereign' DC-4E - the Super Mainliner.

United Airlines flew the triple-tail beauty for a year of shake-down flights but ultimately decided it wasn't for them. The other airlines concurred and the 'Sky Sovereign' was dethroned. Eventually sold to the Japanese just prior to Pearl Harbor; it was dismantled and design copied for a possible four engine bomber. Douglas never mentioned it again!

Besides the airplane pin, I've been able to collect a couple of balsa model kits including one with a 26" wingspan. This airplane was promoted in it's day comparably to the new AirBus that is just out.

Here is a blogspot with some great info on this magnificent bird;http://sky-sovereign-dc-4e.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!
Dixon Cannon

deanglen

Dixon Cannon said:
This airliner was designed to take advantage of the B-17 jigs in the Boeing factory. This is a new fuselage (pressurized, I might add) with a B-17 'Flying Fortress' empennage and wing assembly. Only one left; it took a dive in Lake Washington a few years ago and is now static at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum.

I personally have a much rarer bird on my Borsalino. Douglas was pitching a new replacement for the DC-3 back in the mid-30's and they convinced several airlines to contribute to a design. What they came up with was the 'Sky Sovereign' DC-4E - the Super Mainliner.

United Airlines flew the triple-tail beauty for a year of shake-down flights but ultimately decided it wasn't for them. The other airlines concurred and the 'Sky Sovereign' was dethroned. Eventually sold to the Japanese just prior to Pearl Harbor; it was dismantled and design copied for a possible four engine bomber. Douglas never mentioned it again!

Besides the airplane pin, I've been able to collect a couple of balsa model kits including one with a 26" wingspan. This airplane was promoted in it's day comparably to the new AirBus that is just out.

Here is a blogspot with some great info on this magnificent bird;http://sky-sovereign-dc-4e.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!
Dixon Cannon

Great info and pictures on a plane I've never heard of, Dixon. So the Japanese never built a four engine bomber from the design?

Dean

Dixon Cannon

Good question deanglen,

deanglen said:
Great info and pictures on a plane I've never heard of, Dixon. So the Japanese never built a four engine bomber from the design?

Dean

Based on the DC-4E's design, Nakajima was awarded a contract to build four of the long-range bombers under the designation "G5N1" and given the name "Shinzan" (American disignation 'Liz'). Two improved G5N2s were ordered and built, but their performance was disappointing, so the two G5N1s and two G5N2s were converted into transports. All four were redesignated "G52N-L." None of the 138-foot-wingspan Shinzans ever had a central fin and rudder.

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally