Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straight Razors and Accessories

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since we're on the topic...

Please feel free to merge this if necessary. I've searched through over a year of threads and I could have sworn there was a thread on this topic, but I can't seem to find it.

I want all the information I can get on modern straight razors, straight razor shaves and necessary accessories to facilitate said shave.

I would like to go about this process as vintage as possible (read Golden Era).

I don't have access to vintage razors so I will need to purchase a new razor. As I remember, I should stay away from Stainless Steel razors as they tend to lose an edge quickly and they are extremely hard to sharpen. Are there currently any models for which I should keep an eye out? I would like a high carbon steel but I don't know if they make those anymore.

I need a strop but are there any things I should be keeping in mind when selecting one?

I already have a shaving brush, mug and soap. Anything else I'm missing?

freebird

Practically Family
Puma, Dovo, and Thiers Issard are all good brands. You can still pick up vintage straights on ebay for not too much, although you will need to send them to be cleaned (unless you do it yourself) and honed (right out of the box I would go with someone who knows what they're doing). For vintage at a good price, look for Genco or Geneva Cutlery (same manufacturer,different name), Geo. Wostenholm is also a good razor. A couple off shaving forums to check out are : straight razor place and the shave den. I'm a member of both forums, but the one I learned the most at was Straight Razor Place. Both have good folks who will bend over backward to help you out, answer questions etc. If I can help in any way, feel free to ask.

Use caution on Ebay when buying new straights, there are a number of 3rd world manufacturers that are of terrible quality and can't be sharpened to take or keep a shaving edge.

When buying a used blade it must not be chipped or pitted on the edge as it maybe impossible to work up a new edge.

For used blades, look at the pictures carefully, any blueing or colors on the edge may indicate that someone mechanically polished the blade and got it too hot, this changes the temper of the steel and may make it impossible to sharpen.

If you go to www.classicshaving.com on their home page is a column on the left side by the botton click on the button marked "How And Why" and read the stuff there, it will help any beginner out a bunch.

Undertow

I just thought of something and maybe you guys could give your advice again.

If I would like to get the hang of a straight razor shave before purchasing a quality razor, would it be advisable, or practical, to purchase a "disposable" straight razor?

I ask because they are inexpensive and I believe they would afford me the opportunity to learn with a consistently sharp edge.

Any thoughts on those?

Undertow said:

If I would like to get the hang of a straight razor shave before purchasing a quality razor, would it be advisable, or practical, to purchase a "disposable" straight razor?

I ask because they are inexpensive and I believe they would afford me the opportunity to learn with a consistently sharp edge.

Any thoughts on those?
Although similar in use the disposibles are supposed to handle differently, it isa question of spending for it and then spending for the real deal.

It may be worth while, but personally, I looked for an inexspensive good straight and then went for a really good one later, like the Timors or Dovo's. The 5/8" is a standard shave size.

The key is getting one that is presharpened as not all straights are shave ready out of the box.

dnjan

One Too Many
stainless straight razors

I have no experience with new US-made razors, but have had no problem whatsoever with quality German (made in Solingen) stainless straight razors. They use a stainless mixture that contains some carbon (to my understanding) which takes and holds an edge quite well. This (in my experience) holds true for both new and vintage stainless straight razors out of Solingen.

freebird

Practically Family
Undertow said:

Any thoughts on those?

You could pick up a shavette, a straight with a replaceable blade. I've never used one, so I only know what I've read, that they are sharper than the dickens, and you don't have the need for a strop. That being said, I prefer the real thing, the weight and feel of a good straight to me is re-assuring.

JeffR

New in Town
Hi Undertow,

I used a straight razor like you describe for many years. Called the L & A Razor, it used injector-blades and worked quite well. However I can't speak to how it compares with regular straight razors - I've never used 'em! ;)

Cheers,
Jeff

TBiley

New in Town
I would like to add a few more questions if you don't mind.

As a incoming college student, I want to look my best when I'm around people who aren't related to me.

So would a straight razor be good for me? I don't care if it takes awhile to shave but as long it is a nice smooth close shave, but I must be fairly quick in case my roommates needs to use the restroom.

Also, is there a brick and mortar place in LA, Santa Monica, Westwood, or around that area that would sell these straight razors plus the other accessories? (I could only use my credit card for school and emergencies)

Also, would it be better to just use the money for my college supplies, like books, tuition, and board???

Lastly, my facial hair does not grow normally like other people, it only grows on my chin, mustache, and whisker-like on the cheeks, should I get a straight razor?

Thank you.

By the way, as you can tell, I have problems with transitions.

GWD said:
JOHN IN COVINA! Is there a place in town I can take my Straight Razor to get sharpened?
Out your way I have no clue, but if there is a cutlery shop that handles straight razors ask them first.

I had one sharpened by the cutlery shop at the Puente Hills mall once, but they are no longer around.

In LA the knife store that OJ got his commando knife at (name escapes me right now) does sharpening but I have not used them.

wwww.classicshaving.com has a sharpening service you can find on their web site and friends used it, they were more than satisfied.

Lastly, if there is an old fashioned barber nearby that uses straights you may be able to get them to sharpen it.

It holds me back because i have only been able to get one blade shave sharp and that was an old Henckels that i gave away as a gift.

I have 4 or so modern blades and about 6 very vintage ones that I have not been able to sharpen.

TBiley said:
So would a straight razor be good for me? I don't care if it takes awhile to shave but as long it is a nice smooth close shave, but I must be fairly quick in case my roommates needs to use the restroom.

Also, is there a brick and mortar place in LA, Santa Monica, Westwood, or around that area that would sell these straight razors plus the other accessories? (I could only use my credit card for school and emergencies)
Thank you.

You should never rush or be rushed when using a straight razor to shave, especially when learning. Instead maybe look at a DE also know as a Double Edge - Merker and Feather are two reliable brands that give superb shaves.

Check Cutlery shops for good razors, big top line department stores may have some stuff too.

You can even get a good shave with a Bic twin blade if you do the Wet Shave routine, Shave soap or cream in a mug with brush to lather your face. Wet shaving is a great step up from canned lather and makes shaving a lot better.

go to www.classicshaving.com and look at the "How & Why" section for good info to help you decide. Check out the wet shaving sites and straight razor place on line.

Carbon vs stainless

dnjan said:
I have no experience with new US-made razors, but have had no problem whatsoever with quality German (made in Solingen) stainless straight razors. They use a stainless mixture that contains some carbon (to my understanding) which takes and holds an edge quite well. This (in my experience) holds true for both new and vintage stainless straight razors out of Solingen.
THere are some carbon steel blades that will take an edge like no other but they lose the edge quicker than stainless, Stainless will take a great edge but supposedly not quite as good as carbon steel, however stainless is said to hold the edge longer too!

Undertow

Can any of you recommend a stainless steel straight razor within a price range of $20-$60?

Also, does anyone know the name of the paste/liquid used for strops?

And could anyone recommend where I could find a strop, stone and other accessories for around $20-$60 as well?

Thanks for all your feedback!

Razors

New and quality for less then $80-90 is problematic. What ever you do, do not buy a Pakistani straight razor. (For that matter any 3rd world brand) as you will have wasted your $.

You may be able to get an ebay vintage razor and get it sharpend or look for shave sharp in description for your budget.

SHAVE READY

Also on ebay put in: Straight Razor shave ready, that phrase "shave ready" usually indicates it is from a collector that has sharpened the blade and it is ready to use. If you are lucky the guy will describe the restoration process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe