Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Storing jackets.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ikea do some nice wicker under-bed storage boxes with cotton covers. Let's the air to them but keeps them safe. Recently saw what a mildewed jacket looks, and smells, like. Not pleasant in either case...

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Depends of the jacket, If its a vintage jacket, I dont store them away, they should be out in the open air mellowing.

I want the moisture in the air to keep my leather nice, theoretically Leather was once a living organ of an animal.

meant to stay ply and moving.

usually I have a few hanging out in the open on the back of my door or in a shallow pile on a shelf, like the top shelf of your closet say..

hangers are Ok, normally what I do Is LAYER the hanger with a couple other jackets, like cotton ones or some Junky ones I dont really need to wear, not only to save hanger space but to pad the hangers, even if they are form fitted ( not the cheap white plastic ones or metal wire ones) I only use the Thick ones.

add this much, If clothes sit around in a pile, they can produce some nasty things, bacteria and mold, Watch out for a staph infection, lol!!!

I had a few Jackets that were rotting away in old farmhouses and the like when I found them, Pretty much a science experiment, I just completely Soaked them and wash the Living Crap out of them, Rinse them, saddle soap and even more industrial grade stuff. nothing short of stewing them for a bit. Liners completely Rotten and had Gut them...it was a shame but better than throwing out a classic Jacket. In a pinch I steal the liners out of some cheap cotton Repro bomber jacket, something from the thriftstore. then oil the Bejesus out of them, and voila, good as new..Jackets make a nice home for Varmints and microbes. This is what happens if you leave them in a garage or Barn or in a Huge soppy pile of old clothes for years and years...in un regulated climate conditions.

Ive cleaned places that would make the season finale of the TV show Hoarders look like a Walk on the beach.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82