Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Storing jackets.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys,
I was wondering the best way to store jackets? Im concerened about them moulding to a coat hanger in the cupboard? At this stage Ive got them in the spare room laying flat on the bed. I cant really do that forever....are some super duper shoulder shaped coat hangers?
Thanks

Lando

Practically Family
hangerbgd2.gif

I get these from Black and Gray for the jackets I really love. They have adjustable shoulders so that you can get them closer to the right width and the actual shoulder area is very large and spreads the weight out pretty evenly. Downside, expensive at about $30 a pop for the basic model with the shoulder adjustment. But then, why blow near a thousand on a jacket then put it on a hanger worth a few dollars that may hurt it. I'm not saying all my jackets have these hangers, some are so tough that they tend to beat the hangers up really lol and dont need this. But all my moosehide, elkhide, and goatskins end up on these. Not to mention, these hangers can take some very heavy jackets with no issue. Recently I had a leather trenchcoat snap the head off a plastic hanger, one of those big wide ones with the wider shoulders on it. Just couldn't take the weight.

Another, cheaper option, that I use even now while I'm slowly getting all the expensive hangers I want, I get plastic hangers in bulk and use about five on one jacket. That way the hanger is wide enough that there's better weight distribution and no hanger head snappage. That option has worked for a few years now on some of my jackets and doesn't bother them a bit, so far.

Hope any of that helps.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Lando, maybe tape a bunch of hangers together and pad them out with old t shirts? Black and Gray...havent heard of them, will look into it....Ive only a few jackets at thi stage, but have 2 aero on order and a Langlitz on the way also.....cheers.

Along with what Lando posted, there are lots of really good wooden hangers at "The Container Store" and the like - usually $10-$15 a piece which is what I use.
Another thing that gets said here is to just toss your new jacket on the couch/bed/floor (unless you have pets) and let them get softened up. I do this, but when I got back from a 4+ hour swap meet visit yesterday, my cotton shirt immediately cooled off as I took off my Ventura. I realized I had sweat quite a bit but didn't notice. At that point, most definitely hang the jacket so mold doesn't form inside. You don't want that going on - and the same goes for coming in out of the rain.
I suppose some folks may do that, but not me...
The other thing is that most common hangers seem to be made for jackets ≤size 46. Shoulders tend to hang on ≥48 jackets. Maybe the ones Lando showed are wider? Not a huge deal, but on a heavy and large jacket, I could see it possibly causing a drop if left on a hanger for prolonged periods... Or, I just drank way too much coffee and am running on lol

eggleman

One of the Regulars
Shame that someone like Aero can't set up and arrangement with a local woodworker to make a decent deep/wide hanger to go with their jackets ..
maybe a business opportunity for someone there ?

Shame that someone like Aero can't set up and arrangement with a local woodworker to make a decent deep/wide hanger to go with their jackets ..maybe a business opportunity for someone there ?
Thought of that myself...I'd go with nice cedar which smells good and repels moths...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Doesn't cedar dry out/have to be replaced periodically?
Here's my idea: a fat wooden hangar with a little cutout in it to put in small pieces of cedar in!

Doesn't cedar dry out/have to be replaced periodically?Here's my idea: a fat wooden hangar with a little cutout in it to put in small pieces of cedar in!
I made a cedar chest for my mom ~1975 wood shop. Looks and smells good still! I won't be around that much longer... :p

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I made a cedar chest for my mom ~1975 wood shop. Looks and smells good still! I won't be around that much longer... :p

Never say never. Perhaps your life's mission has yet to be fulfilled and "god" will grant you many good years ahead.
The mission that comes to mind is:
Wearing wonderful jackets to influence a whole younger generation to appreciate the past/quality.
This in turn will promote a huge collective mindset with reverence for individuality, history, quality, etc.
:)

Never say never. Perhaps your life's mission has yet to be fulfilled and "god" will grant you many good years ahead.
The mission that comes to mind is:
Wearing wonderful jackets to influence a whole younger generation to appreciate the past/quality.
This in turn will promote a huge collective mindset with reverence for individuality, history, quality, etc.
:)

Well, I got my son hooked (20). So I'm doing my part... :)

Has Mrs. Butte seen those new Aero models yet?? I bet several would look good on a girl,too..! HD
I've tried. She's just not into it. She has other things that spend copious amounts of cash on, but jackets are not it. The thing that keeps me in the jacket lines is her purses. I buy them, then she doesn't notice a new jacket... lol

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I took a suggestion I saw here. I went to the hardware store and got some pipe insulation. It's already split lengthwise so I just sort of overlaid the hanger and now it's as thick as my shoulders. (I have to admit that I've only used these hangers for jackets with shoulder armor, which don't hang well on regular hangers. Non-armored jackets get just a regular nice wooden coat hanger.)

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I chose a little spot in my apartment that doesn't get any other use (in my closet, on top of the air conditioner that is currently in it's box) and I just pile them in there. I don't see that jackets HAVE to be hung up, do they?

majormajor

One Too Many
1. Commandeer spare bedroom as "walk in wardrobe"(turn heating off in that room).

2. Everything on its own hanger.

3. Wear EVERY jacket in rotation (seasons permitting), so that nothing stays on hanger for too long.

4. Live in a country that is NEVER humid.

SORTED:D:D

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't hang jackets. I fold them up and stack them on top of each other on a shelf like sweaters. I have around 12 leather jackets.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Someone else who has commandeered spare bedroom! (we both have so any visitors can sleep somwhere else...)
If you are in UK, Morplan the shop fitting supplier, has a wide range of hangers. We buy in boxes of 25 or 50 (that says it all really, doesnt it?) Search thro the site to find the wide, deep suit hangers. (http://www.morplan.com/Product_10053_10001_47701_-1_25301 - check with them that these are deepest) Also trouser hangers with hooks for fettuccine strips.
The Gt Tichfield store is very helpful and carries wide stock, from our time in kids and womens clothing we know their delivery service is very good.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face

majormajor

One Too Many
Someone else who has commandeered spare bedroom! (we both have so any visitors can sleep somwhere else...)
If you are in UK, Morplan the shop fitting supplier, has a wide range of hangers. We buy in boxes of 25 or 50 (that says it all really, doesnt it?) Search thro the site to find the wide, deep suit hangers. (http://www.morplan.com/Product_10053_10001_47701_-1_25301 - check with them that these are deepest) Also trouser hangers with hooks for fettuccine strips.
The Gt Tichfield store is very helpful and carries wide stock, from our time in kids and womens clothing we know their delivery service is very good.

Good stuff, RS.

Thanks for the info:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82