Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stolen: My PB Diamante

frijoli

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Is it possible to send an email stating your hat was "lost" and you are looking for it's safe return?

Yeah, I plan on doing this Monday. I wanted to see if it materialized when I got back to work.

On a good note, I just bought a hat from Douglas!

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
After I retired from the military I got a job working as a civilian for them..

I must say the worst thieves I ever met were the reservists...Very sad....

We would all remind everyone that the weekend was coming up and if you didn't lock everything up Friday after work , it would be gone Monday morning.
And I do mean everything...

We had a 38 man section and our boss got a promotion. So we got a new guy who had never worked with reservists ....... One of our troops left his new cell phone on the charger Friday. We were building new servers to go out into the field and we were all working the weekend... So on Saturday morning we came in about an hour late and he found his new cell was missing. The new boss had a real problem that someone would steal from fellow employee's and after calling everyone together and giving a stern lecture about treating people like you want to be treated, he announced that during lunch he wanted all to leave the office. He would turn out the lights and asked that the cellphone be returned. Amnesty to whoever did it, just return the phone anywhere in the office ....

After lunch we went back to work , turned on the lights and the cell phone was not to be found, but the thief returned and this time with all the lights out stole the charger for the phone they stole the night before........

New boss got a rude awakening that day........

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Is it possible to send an email stating your hat was "lost" and you are looking for it's safe return?

It's along shot, but you can't loose anything by it. Play it off as your own absent-mindedness and somebody might reconsider. Maybe a paper note posted in break room or outside your office would something would also be good, too. Cleaning crews and such are often out of the email loop, and would have full run of the building.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I'm sorry to hear that and perpetually amazed that anyone takes something as personal as a hat. Any stealing is bad enough but things like hats (that they won't wear) is very low.

As Goose noted, what really hurts is when it is done by people that you know and work with. Almost incomprehensible but it happens.

About 10 years ago, while I was on a business trip, my house was looted and over $20,000 of items taken. Plus damage. And non-replaceable personal things gone. In a good neighborhood.

As it turned out, this was done by two neighbor highschool-age kids who I'd befriended on many occasions. They didn't have a man in either of their households so they came around, talked. I'd helped them get a lawn care business started, loaned (gave) one of them books - once to help convince him that Hitler had emphatically not gotten a bum rap and was not a wonderful leader. That one lived across and just a little bit down the street.

Both these kids were named David, and they enlisted the help of a shady accomplice whose name was also David. You couldn't make this stuff up. The mom of the one across the street found my computer under her porch, hooked it up, found enough to suggest it was mine, contacted my girlfriend (now wife), and by the time I returned from the trip that David, her son, was handcuffed in the back of a squad car. I never got much back, nothing of importance.

Feraud and Non-Bogart13 said that asking around might help. Despite the horror story of the army reservists in the darkened room, I really think this is worth a try. It worked once when a personal item of jewelry was taken from a motel room, and my then wife was very upset. We actually tracked down and talked with the maid who cleaned the room, and her boyfriend, calmly explained the personal value to Marty, didn't need to know who or why, just wanted it back, no questions and no hassles. Got nothing but denials...but the next morning a different maid said she'd found it in the laundry, just must have fallen in there, not stolen, just a mistake you see...we shouldn't go around accusing anyone...but anyway we got it back.

- Bill

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goose. said:
Bummer was, and is for you; it is someone you know.

Be nice to everyone, but have a plan to kill them...

"Friends help friends move;...good friends help friends move bodies.":rage:

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
It's just odd that we live in a time where people that most likely don't wear a hat will steal one.

I think we can safely say that anyone who would wear a hat other than a baseball cap on a regular basis (such as us here) would have a lot more respect for another's hat. I know we have even had discussions here about others picking up our hats without asking and trying them on.

I'm not trying to overgeneralize, and perhaps I am, and I'm certainly not saying that only hat wearers such as us would find it wrong to steal. It just seems that we here know our hats our in the minority in society, and so we take a lot better care of ours, and by default, respect the hats of others.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Big Man said:
I see you are from "Northwest NC". That's my neck of the woods, so if you are near the Burke/McDowell area and find out who the maggot was that stole your hat just let me know. I'll be glad to stomp them into a little puddle of mush. ;)

I just returned from two computerless weeks near Boone, NC - beautiful area of the country...but I left my hat at home to avoid trouble.

..stolen hats, wow - never heard of that. When I worked in an office people hung their hats, coats, etc, without fear.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
ScionPI2005 said:
I think we can safely say that anyone who would wear a hat other than a baseball cap on a regular basis (such as us here) would have a lot more respect for another's hat. I know we have even had discussions here about others picking up our hats without asking and trying them on.

I'm not trying to overgeneralize, and perhaps I am, and I'm certainly not saying that only hat wearers such as us would find it wrong to steal. It just seems that we here know our hats our in the minority in society, and so we take a lot better care of ours, and by default, respect the hats of others.

So very true! No musician would steal an instrument from another, and is outraged when that sort of thing happens.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Orsini said:
Lots of stuff gets stolen in offices.

Probably "security" or cleaning crew stole it.

:eek:fftopic: WHAT!? [huh] You know, that's a pretty scurrilous and undeserved accusation. You would not believe the amount abuse that we have to endure, and now the indignity of a blanket indictment :whip:. I've been working in hospital security for 21 years and know of only two instances of theft by security personnel, and both were prosecuted by my company, and I can't think of a single incident involving housekeeping. I will never understand why people have, what seems to be, a natural bias against those who have to clean up after them. My co-workers routinely get hit, kicked, bitten, screamed at, assaulted with blood, saliva, urine, feces *yucky* and all manner of projectile to be found in a hospital; and all this while absolutely unarmed. Pardon me if I seem a bit cranky, but this touched a sore spot. :rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe