Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stolen/confused whippet...

Chinaski

One Too Many
Ugh! Just saw this...sorry about your hat, Aureliano! The people at the restaurant probably thought you were being a difficult customer, even though they didn't say it. They probably thought, "What's the big deal?" We all know it's a big deal, and I feel your pain, buddy.

^^^^ Kinda like that song Lyle Lovett sings. He pretty much sum's it up. I think the song is Don't touch my hat. It's a good song if your into country music,and like hats. I'm guilty of both. Personally I never leave my hat anywhere out of reach. At restaurants sometimes I will have to put it on my knee and push down a bit to keep in in place.

Amen to that!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
That's horrible Aureliano! Between getting hats stolen when checked at restaurants, to having coats and other items stacked on top of hats and crushing them, I don't think I'll ever try a hat check. It's these kinds of stories that sometimes force me to leave my hat on my head at a restaurant if no other solution exists.

Wow, that really sucks. You would think he would have returned it or immediately said that is not mien. Sorry to hear about the loss of such a fine lid.

My wife and I went out to dinner. Nice restaurant. I never leave my hat in the coatroom but this time I said what the hell and gave my jacket and whippet to the guy. At the end when I go to retrieve my stuff I'm handed a cheap wool brown hat. Yes, the moron gave my 1940's pristine hat to someone else. No record of who as the table with the other hatted dude, I was told paid in cash. Demanded to see his check and it was true. They say the'll try to give me financial compensation. What a mess.
Now the request. Anyone who may want to sell me a grey 71/8 whippet please PM me. eBay has gotten awful lately with prices going to ridiculous heights. I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable sum for a nice looking one.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I'll bet this sort of thing happened all the time back when hat and coat checks were common place in restaurants.

Glad you found a replacement, Aureliano.

I wonder if the lucky dude will ever show up here on the Lounge with a miraculus story of how his wool hat changed to fir felt? shakeshead

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Every time I see a new post to this thread I keep hoping that Aureliano is coming on to say he got his hat back!

Last edited:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dang, I just saw this thread. My condolences on your loss, Aureliano! I'm afraid I tend to go a little nuts when I lose something--to lose a hat like that to a thief would really drive me bonkers! I'm glad to hear you've found a replacement and that the restaurant is doing something to compensate you.

Cheers,
Tom

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Every time I see a new post to this thread I keep hoping that Aureliano is coming on to say he got his hat back!

Once while helping a a Saturday morning indoor church flea market sale, I put my beaver Borsalino fedora on top of the coat rack. I mean, if your hat is going to be safe on anybody's hat rack, it would be at your church, right? After the event I went for the hat but it was gone. I was heartsick--$425. Then somehow three or four months later, the hat mysteriously reappeared on the same coat rack. My point is that it is terrible when a hat theft happens, and the more expensive, rare or well-liked the hat was, the worse, but at least in this instance the hat came back.

Once while helping a a Saturday morning indoor church flea market sale, I put my beaver Borsalino fedora on top of the coat rack. I mean, if your hat is going to be safe on anybody's hat rack, it would be at your church, right? After the event I went for the hat but it was gone. I was heartsick--$425. Then somehow three or four months later, the hat mysteriously reappeared on the same coat rack. My point is that it is terrible when a hat theft happens, and the more expensive, rare or well-liked the hat was, the worse, but at least in this instance the hat came back.

Maybe someone started to feel a little guilty?

One Too Many
Hola Aureliano, que triste, pero la culpa real es del tipo que recibió tu sombrero, seguro lo vió en sus manos y se fugo rapidamente para evitar devolverlo, una vez aquí en SLP rompieron el cristal de mi auto para robarse un Borsalino que me heredó mi abuelo, casi lloro por mi sombrero. Los humanos no debemos tener esas conductas¡¡¡ Saludos

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I agree with MV. The person who was given your hat could NOT have left the place without KNOWING that he was thief, and that won't be left without penalty.
On the other hand ... Jed had a great suggetion.
If you are somewhere that manners dictates you HAVE to leave a hat, it would be a great idea to put you business card in the hat ribbon at the very front of the hat. It won't stop it from being stolen, but it could at least help avoid an "honest mistake."
Keeping your hat at the table would be another good choice.
Frankly, in this day of people texting from the table, having bratty kids in the restaurant, telling course jokes in loud voices in mixed audiences and just using inappropriate language in public ... I don't feel like my hat is much of an intrusion.
In many places, a nice, clean, quiet fedora is certainly the LEAST of the issues at hand.

BTW ... the price of Whippets is incredible. I had a nice elderly lady give me a new condition brown Whippet a year ago and I knew she'd done something nice, but I didn't realize HOW nice until I saw what the price had reached. Believe me, I quickly sent her an even nicer thank you than I had originally sent.

Good luck finding a replacement.

Sam

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Dang, I just saw this thread. My condolences on your loss, Aureliano! I'm afraid I tend to go a little nuts when I lose something--to lose a hat like that to a thief would really drive me bonkers! I'm glad to hear you've found a replacement and that the restaurant is doing something to compensate you.

Cheers,
Tom
Thanks, Tom. Yeah I found, thanks to a lounger, a nice replacement. Not a whippet though but a great quality look-alike: A Dobbs Hanover Square.

Every time I walk by the restaurant--it's on my way to work-- I tend to think a waiter or the host are going to run after me and tell me they have my hat. :cry:

I agree with MV. The person who was given your hat could NOT have left the place without KNOWING that he was thief, and that won't be left without penalty.
On the other hand ... Jed had a great suggetion.
If you are somewhere that manners dictates you HAVE to leave a hat, it would be a great idea to put you business card in the hat ribbon at the very front of the hat. It won't stop it from being stolen, but it could at least help avoid an "honest mistake."
Sam
All my hats have a label inside now. Like that one Art send with his hat.

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Maybe the thief became a born again or seen the light!

Mike in Seattle

Once while helping a a Saturday morning indoor church flea market sale, I put my beaver Borsalino fedora on top of the coat rack...

Perhaps someone took it by mistake and wanted to return it but circumstances wouldn't permit, or they were forgetful. But they wanted to make sure it got back to you without having to reveal their identity. Maybe kept it in the car until they knew you were there and they also had the opportunity to place it on the hat rack unseen by anyone. Maybe a wayward child or grandchild grabbed it and they were too embarrassed to come clean. Maybe someone in the family had a "senior moment."

But at least they made sure it was returned to where it was taken.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, I feel horrible for your loss and can't wait to see your replacement. May the thief have himself knocked out from under the hat by a train with no harm to the hat. And my your Whippet return home to you by mysterious means. Not knowing how big your town is it would be interesting if you have been on the lookout for some guy wearing your hat around town or in a nearby town.

Cheers!

Dan

danofarlington

Perhaps someone took it by mistake and wanted to return it but circumstances wouldn't permit, or they were forgetful. But they wanted to make sure it got back to you without having to reveal their identity. Maybe kept it in the car until they knew you were there and they also had the opportunity to place it on the hat rack unseen by anyone. Maybe a wayward child or grandchild grabbed it and they were too embarrassed to come clean. Maybe someone in the family had a "senior moment."

But at least they made sure it was returned to where it was taken.

And that, I appreciate. I didn't think I'd ever see my hat again, so was plenty happy when it popped up in the same place.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Well, I feel horrible for your loss and can't wait to see your replacement. May the thief have himself knocked out from under the hat by a train with no harm to the hat. And my your Whippet return home to you by mysterious means. Not knowing how big your town is it would be interesting if you have been on the lookout for some guy wearing your hat around town or in a nearby town. Cheers!Dan

My Town? NYC. I will never see that hat again.
A fellow Lounger sold me this Whippet clone: A Dobbs Hanover Square.

17.jpg

18.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
My Town? NYC. I will never see that hat again.
A fellow Lounger sold me this Whippet clone: A Dobbs Hanover Square.

I guess that swell new lid should take the sting out of your loss, at least somewhat.

Back in the 70s, I had a girlfriend who found her burglarized possessions for sale on Astor Place - she got nearly everything back.

Much later, my future wife had her purse picked. Staff from the Sherry Netherland on a cigarette break stopped the guy and got her money back. In fact, they took more money from the pickpocket than she had to begin with.

From this I deduce that if you were an attractive woman, you'd have your hat back by now - as it stands, well, you have the Dobbs....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust