Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stolen/confused whippet...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I went out to dinner. Nice restaurant. I never leave my hat in the coatroom but this time I said what the hell and gave my jacket and whippet to the guy. At the end when I go to retrieve my stuff I'm handed a cheap wool brown hat. Yes, the moron gave my 1940's pristine hat to someone else. No record of who as the table with the other hatted dude, I was told paid in cash. Demanded to see his check and it was true. They say the'll try to give me financial compensation. What a mess.
Now the request. Anyone who may want to sell me a grey 71/8 whippet please PM me. eBay has gotten awful lately with prices going to ridiculous heights. I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable sum for a nice looking one.

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My wife and I went out to dinner. Nice restaurant. I never leave my hat in the coatroom but this time I said what the hell and gave my jacket and whippet to the guy. At the end when I go to retrieve my stuff I'm handed a cheap wool brown hat. Yes, the moron gave my 1940's pristine hat to someone else. No record of who as the table with the other hatted dude, I was told paid in cash. Demanded to see his check and it was true. They say the'll try to give me financial compensation. What a mess.
Now the request. Anyone who may want to sell me a grey 71/8 whippet please PM me. eBay has gotten awful lately with prices going to ridiculous heights. I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable sum for a nice looking one.

I'm sorry to hear it, but thanks for the warning. One has to make little decisions like that all the time, and I don't want to be too paranoid. But this realizes one of my big fears about going around in a hat.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Ugh, what a horror story. I left my Adams Executive in a Chinese Restaurant once. I had taken the hat off upon entering and placed it about 20 feet away from our table on a counter to get it away from the food. When we were done, we were engrossed in conversation and I walked out without the hat! Fortunately, we were the last customers for the night and I ran back in only about 10 minutes after I left so it was still there. But it taught me never to put my hat too far away from me at any given time.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
If I'm with a grouping of 4 or more, I will pull a chair from another table over next to mine and put my hat on it. In todays world, unless it is at a 10 star restaraunt and I get a ticket, my hat is NEVER given to ANYONE at a bar or restaraunt. If they give me a hassle, I DON'T stay and give 'em my business :) Haven't lost a hat yet :) (knock on wood ) :) My condolences on your loss Aureliano.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I tuck one of my business cards into the hat band so that if the wrong person gets it or I leave it some were it has a chance to find its way home. got that tip from an old timer.

Jeff

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
The first thing I did when I received my VS was fill out the card that came with it. I did leave my hat at the coat rack 1 time when I went with my wife to a dinner for her grad school. I did however place it where I could see it from the table(it was a long rack like a closet with a shelf on top for stuff). My larger concern though is whoever received your hat in error must have known it was not their crappy wool hat and walked out with it anyway. Sad story of humanity indeed

... My larger concern though is whoever received your hat in error must have known it was not their crappy wool hat and walked out with it anyway ...

My initial thoughts exactly. Sure, the restaurant was negligent, but they were guilty of nothing more sinful than an honest mistake (or so we should hope, and presume, anyway).

Had I been the victim, I would try to take some comfort in knowing that, unlike some people, I was at least fortunate enough to have grown into the sort of person who wouldn't willingly do what that hat snatcher did. I bet he's a miserable little pr#*k who leads a miserable little existence.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
My initial thoughts exactly. Sure, the restaurant was negligent, but they were guilty of nothing more sinful than an honest mistake (or so we should hope, and presume, anyway).

Had I been the victim, I would try to take some comfort in knowing that, unlike some people, I was at least fortunate enough to have grown into the sort of person who wouldn't willingly do what that hat snatcher did. I bet he's a miserable little pr#*k who leads a miserable little existence.

Totally agree. The coat check guy made a mistake. The room was dark and got he picked the wrong hat. But the Ahole who, noticing he got the wrong hat didn't return it (not even the next day, I gave him the benefit of the doubt) is just despicable.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
If I'm with a grouping of 4 or more, I will pull a chair from another table over next to mine and put my hat on it. In todays world, unless it is at a 10 star restaraunt and I get a ticket, my hat is NEVER given to ANYONE at a bar or restaraunt. If they give me a hassle, I DON'T stay and give 'em my business :) Haven't lost a hat yet :) (knock on wood ) :) My condolences on your loss Aureliano.

It was a "10" stars restaurant and I got a ticket. This sort of thing can happen.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I lay a napkin under my chair and and put my hat there. Never a problem so far.

The guy who took your hat was a <expletive deleted>, assuming he knew he had the wrong hat (hey, ya never know).

Was there a ticket system or just a 'yeah i'll know what belongs to whom' system?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I lay a napkin under my chair and and put my hat there. Never a problem so far.

The guy who took your hat was a <expletive deleted>, assuming he knew he had the wrong hat (hey, ya never know).

Was there a ticket system or just a 'yeah i'll know what belongs to whom' system?

I was given a numbered ticket but who knows what goes on inside that room. Yeah, the guy who took my hat could've just grabbed it and put it on that night and not notice. But what about the next morning? He could've called the restaurant about it. Anyway, I found a nice replacement, hours ago, thanks to a fellow lounger.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Some people are real...

...oblivious.

Glad to hear you found a resolution. Did the restaurant agree to a reimbursement? Cause brown ain't the new grey in my book yet.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
To some degree I think that it's a matter of luck. I've checked my hat and coat several thousand times over the years without a loss.

Knock on wood....

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
I always keep my hat with me... if I have to... I keep it on my head.

^^^^ Kinda like that song Lyle Lovett sings. He pretty much sum's it up. I think the song is Don't touch my hat. It's a good song if your into country music,and like hats. I'm guilty of both. Personally I never leave my hat anywhere out of reach. At restaurants sometimes I will have to put it on my knee and push down a bit to keep in in place.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I always keep my hat with me... if I have to... I keep it on my head.

Me too but one would think that in the one of the best restaurants in town/world...:eusa_doh:

I think that was mis-typed.
Shouldn't it read "not to wish him bad but I hope a nice wind blows him out from under the hat and into a river"?
I wouldn't want a great Whippet to drown when it did no wrong.

lollol

To some degree I think that it's a matter of luck. I've checked my hat and coat several thousand times over the years without a loss.

Knock on wood....

Totally agree.

Glad to hear you found a resolution. Did the restaurant agree to a reimbursement? Cause brown ain't the new grey in my book yet.

Cheers,

Yes, they're mailing me a check and a gift certificate for a dinner for two. Guess who's keeping his hat near him this time!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust