Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve McColgan Clothing Co.

Edward

Bartender
I'm curious to see the WPG jacket at Goodwood in September (Soldier of Fortune carry them here), but I already have an ELC and an Aero in Seal. The A2 type that appeals most should I buy one again is the Aeriel Star with the slash pockets, though I might eventually sell the ELC to fund one of the dark seal Aero typez with those really strong red knits... Great to see more choice happening at all price points.

Xopher

A-List Customer
Could some of you folks post the measurements of the SMW A-2. What size do you have and what are the Shoulder seam to seam and pit to pit measurements? I sent SMW an email asking about the shoulder width of a size 44 and he said it was 18 inches and the pit to pit was 25, that just seems like very strange proportions. Just ungodly narrow shoulders and baggy torso. I war around a 42 and I couldnt imagine being able to stuff myself into a jacket with shoulders narrower than 19.5. Maybe he measured wrong? Or are A-2s cut so that they allow for more shoulder room despite narrow seam to seam measurements.

Also that chestnut color looks darn nice, any full torso photos of people wearing it?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I like it…. especially the shoulder fit which is pretty squared off. I'll elaborate more after I post measurements. but here are some pics.

I'll take pics of it on me as well.

10660333_10152432896723811_7188268485698425143_n.jpg

10712865_10152432896773811_3365662421651538365_n.jpg

1920079_10152432896808811_6789380403291709867_n.jpg

Brettafett

One Too Many
I have been meaning to post up some pics and a bit of a review of this jacket. So here goes.

SteveMcColganA-2.jpg

First off, I think this jacket is very underrated in terms of what you get for the price.
I was after a non-expensive knock-around A-2 beater and this jacket offers way more than that.
This jacket has potential to be your only A-2 if you are not after a stitch for stitch repro.

SMWholesaleA-2.jpg

The build quality is as good as anything I have had before (ELC, Aero, GW, etc), bearing in mind this is not a repro of a specific contract, rather a generic take on the classic WW2 A-2 with all the specific details.

SteveMcColganA2shoulder.jpg

SteveMcColganA2zip.jpg

SteveMcColganA2hide.jpg

The Chocolate Seal Steerhide was robust, with an average weight and was supple out the box with some nice grain, yet it was not heavy.

SteveMcColganA25.jpg

I liked the square shoulders, the inset sleeves, the highish arm holes and the collar profile. I could zip it up and not become throttled by a tight neck hole.

I am around 5’11, weigh 70kgs/ 155 pounds. I am athletically skinny ;) The jacket was a size 38 with added length.
Measurements:
Armpit to armpit front - 22.5“, back - 23.5“
Sleeve length incl cuff - 26.5”
Back length incl knit- 25.5”
Zipper 22.5”
Shoulder to shoulder −17.5”

SteveMcColganA-2_11.jpg

OK, some other things.
I had requested olive drab thread, this jacket came with brown thread, no biggie.
I had supplied very specific measurements, and the jacket came a bit under in body length and over in sleeve length. Again as you can see from pics, no real biggie.
My only real issue, and this was a personal one due to fit preferences, was that I felt it was way to roomy in the body for me. It felt a touch big on my skinny frame, if you incl the 'extra' extra lengthening... The back panel was also wider than the front, so this may be good for some, but for me offered too much room.
Sizing down, the shoulders would become too narrow.
Again, the pics may tell a different story and this is why I had a couple of sleepless nights about keeping it or not.

SteveMcColganA-2jacket.jpg

I seriously considered having a tailor take it in, I liked it so much, but ended up returning it, as I knew I’d never be happy if they screwed it up.
I have a GW a few months out and another ‘test’ jacket on the way (curiosity seems to always get the better of me), so didn’t want to risk another closet jacket.
I would consider another in the future, if they were to trim it down for me.

This particular jacket would suit a 'bigger bodied' bloke ;) and still provide that square shouldered WW2 look.

Last edited:
I love what I'm seeing. Yes, it's perhaps a bit large on you but it is a beautiful jacket in every aspect.

Edward

Bartender
The two posted above are distinctly different looking in their hue - is it that they're both the same but Matt Deckard's is howing the effect of flash photography? If they were available in that lighter colour, more towards a russet, for reals I'd be tempted. I said a while back I was done with A2s (Selling the ELC I never wear and keeping the Aero goat as I wear it a lot), but the back of my mind still has this notion for a patched-up CBI theatre jacket in russet (a sort of follow-on for the AVG jacket I'm working on). These look like they could be great for jacketsfor patching up and such, which I don't think I'd do to some of the more expensive repros.

zhz

Practically Family
The two posted above are distinctly different looking in their hue - is it that they're both the same but Matt Deckard's is howing the effect of flash photography? If they were available in that lighter colour, more towards a russet, for reals I'd be tempted. I said a while back I was done with A2s (Selling the ELC I never wear and keeping the Aero goat as I wear it a lot), but the back of my mind still has this notion for a patched-up CBI theatre jacket in russet (a sort of follow-on for the AVG jacket I'm working on). These look like they could be great for jacketsfor patching up and such, which I don't think I'd do to some of the more expensive repros.

By looking at their website, they offer both russet and seal brown A2.
http://www.smwholesaleusa.com/a2-jacket
http://www.smwholesaleusa.com/a2-jacket-choc

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I used no flash in my shots, the one I have is Chestnut in color.

When it comes to detailing, I think it's very comparable to what you see from most other companies working to put out a mil-spec a2 of the time. It's not a copy of any particular company. It has all the right details.

I'd say the biggest plus is the vintage fit. It's made of the right materials and doesn't have that baggy big armed mall fit cut. It feels like the 1930s high armholed jackets I'm used to.

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
You have 3 options; Russet, Chestnut and Seal. If I were to go again I'd go Chestnut. Although the Seal is a lovely chocolate colour, I am also veering more towards lighter colours.
As already stated, the quality and workmanship of this jacket, compares very well with the Aero and ELC jackets I have owned and as a patched up knock-around, at that price, you can hardly go wrong.
I have an Aerial Star coming soon, so will be interesting to compare them.
I recon as mid priced A-2s go, Aerial Star, G&B and SMW are your go-too guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld