Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson's new beaver fedora

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Just an fyi for folks. I just heard that Stetson is putting out a beaver fedora in fall '06. It's supposed to be similar to the Temple. I don't have any real details as my rep doesn't have his sample yet. Maybe Hatco is starting to hear all your demands for a better hat. We'll have to wait and see.

Cheers.

JeffW

Familiar Face
Looking forward to it., I bought a Stetson two years ago and it is a really nice soft felt. The one from this year was a little stiffer and not near as soft. I think that if they were to understand that there are many of us that want a truely quality hat, we would buy it. It certainly would be a desireable option instead of the either junk or custom hats available. Although with the prices of some of the custom hats, they may not not be competative.

If you rep is able to get hold of one, I would like to see a picture.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Aaron Hats said:
Maybe Hatco is starting to hear all your demands for a better hat.

Hey Hatco, I've got two words for you:

CAVANAGH EDGE!!!!

Let's see if they're listening.:p

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
This could be a good sign, as the Temple is the closest thing they make right now to a Golden Era fedora. If they keep the wide brim, put a tall, straight-sided crown on it, and get rid of the powder dye, they might have a pretty nice hat.

And if you are lurking here, I'll gladly consult for you on the design!:)

Brad

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Its not like I havent tried to use my few contacts to pass this Web site on to the Stetson design person who may very well be lurking here. I encourage him to I.D. himself and join in!!!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
All they have to do is look at what is selling on ebay for the highest price and they should get a clue as to what will sell from the store. Wide brim, high crown. Can't say it enough, but for any Stetson reps looking on, here it is again "WIDE BRIM, HIGH CROWN"!!!!!!

Say it again over and over in your staff meetings and maybe someone will catch on.

fedoralover

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
If Stetson is to make a beaver felt fedora I doubt it will sell well . They have no problem selling 1000x cowboy hats but the dress market will have a hard time accepting a 400.00 "Temple" . Stetson did try to make some vintage styles through their other division . Check out www.stetson.com and you will see some high end hats . The problem is very few retailers bought them . I will be at the Stetson factory next month and check out the real story .
As for the Cavanaugh edge -forget it . The closest thing will be a welted edge . The product manager of Hatco knows alot about hats but todays workers could never duplicate the detail of hat made years ago . Maybe Art or Graham can do it because they make hats one at a time but the big factories today won't try .:cool2:

Aaron Hats

Vendor
From what I was told the hat was tested in some California stores and sold well. My rep is supposed to come by in mid-February with it. I'll get a photo then. Til then it's wait and see.

Gidde 'up.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
To my knowledge , the only decent stores in CA are Baron Hats , Hat Guys and Western Hat works in San Diego . I'll have to ask around . Now I'm curious !!;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I would be delighted to see Stetson producing a higher end hat. Personally, I would never buy one, but it would be good to see a venerable hat company, and one with connections in Philadelphia, reaching back into their roots.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Ideally they should copy a high crowned Akubra, and yes... stop over powdering the felt.

From what I was told they sell their better quality dress hats in europe, though I wasn't impressed by what I saw from Stetson when I was in France in 2002.

Akubra still makes some of their hats with the dimentions of those you see in the 30's. Stetson seams to have a problem making crowns that high and straight for their moder hats. Even their prized Open Road style is now made with a more tapered block.

JimD

New in Town
besdor said:
To my knowledge , the only decent stores in CA are Baron Hats , Hat Guys and Western Hat works in San Diego

Since I am a newbie here take my words with a grain of salt, however I was in the Western Hat Works three weeks ago and the new owners are definitely not hat people. The Owner does not really speak english and could not understand what several different customers were asking her.

I was also at Hollywood hatters two weeks ago and was very impressed with Sal and his knowledge, to the point I purchased two hats from him.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
James, I am friends with one of the higher ups at HATCO. I called yesterday to see what information I could get. I had forgotten that they are at The National Western in Denver for the next week or so. When he gets back I will see what information he will pass on.

hats4me said:
James, I am friends with one of the higher ups at HATCO. I called yesterday to see what information I could get. I had forgotten that they are at The National Western in Denver for the next week or so. When he gets back I will see what information he will pass on.

That would be great.
I suppose it is just my desire to go back to a time when I could go into a hat shop and buy a great Stetson hat. From Playboys to Stratoliners to Whippets and even Stetsonians, what I choice you could have and in any color you want. They didn't taper, were water proof and the color didn't run or fade. Now that is a Stetson that was work-a-day stuff back in the golden age. Maybe I am just living inthe past but I am sure there is still the skill and ability to do it. It would be nice if it was at a decent price as well. If a custom hat is cheaper then something is still wrong. :D
Ok, off my soapbox and off to the local hot rod show. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Dalexs

Practically Family
Aaron Hats said:
From what I was told the hat was tested in some California stores and sold well. My rep is supposed to come by in mid-February with it. I'll get a photo then. Til then it's wait and see.

Gidde 'up.

Let me when he'll be there, I'll make the 3 hour drive to check it out!
Hey HJ, you up for a little road trip?

It'd be great if a company like Stetson could go back to their roots and make some decent quality dress hats again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld