Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Surplus

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
NEW Stetson Grand Central Review

I've never done a review before, and I'm just getting into hats, so please forgive me. However, several of my fellow loungers asked me to review the new Stetson Grand Central! This hat is Royal Deluxe quality. I know I should take it for a test drive before I write a review, but seeing as I'm not likely to get any rain in the dead of Winter in Chicago land, this will have to do for now.

First, some pictures:
0HOSwR4.jpg bjj7aCo.jpg pokybxN.jpg
The felt itself, while not as soft and flexible as the Stetson Chatham is thicker (which I suspect to be the cause of the stiffer felt), and feels more like a "cold weather" fedora than my Chatham does. The snap doesn't hold as well as Chatham, and I had to fold the brim (which is 2.5 inches) all the way down in order to get a nice corner snap like I prefer. The color, as shown in the pics, is a nice walnut coloration, as per the order. However, in shadow, the color produces a nice rich chocolate brown, reminding me a bit of a Hershey's bar. The crown itself is 5 inches in height. The hat can be ordered open crowned, however I ordered mine to be pre-creased into a good ol' fashioned tear drop. The folks at JJ Hat Center didn't make the tear drop as pronounced as Jeff from Delmonico did with my Chatham, but the crease is more subtle, giving it a sort of more vintaged quality. It really sets this hat apart from the others I own.

EJhAyam.jpg K1VE9Iw.jpg
The interior is satin lined, with the Stetson logo embroidered on the interior at the top, and stamped onto the side of the leather band. The band itself is a nice thick leather, not as thick as a belt, but close to it. The thickness of the leather band really finishes this hat off as a "cold weather hat" to me.

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed looking over my hat writing it!

Cheers!
bBJdHvI.jpg

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the review it looks great. Is the Stetson logo on the ribbon a removable pin or is it fixed to the ribbon?

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
1950s Stetson Nutria Quality...This one started life as a size 7 Western. There were issues with the brim so it found new life as a fedora. John Galt resized it and did the conversion. He sent it to me open crowned. I did the ribbon and bow work and creased it with a Center Dent. John did a great job. I'm really pleased with it.

Before:

photo_1.jpg

After:

Conversion_Nutria_01.jpg

nutria_2_A.jpg

Nutria_Felt_05.jpg

nutria_1_A.jpg

The_Nutria_03.jpg

Last edited:

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Hi T Jones

I really like your bow work. Would you be willing to do a tutorial, or can you point me in the direction of one. I'm not sure if I have the ability, but after seeing Casehopper's wide brimmed campdraft, I'm keen to give it a go!

Cheers

Greg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments. John Galt did the actual conversion....I just did the ribbon and bow work plus the creasing.

clintfisher

One of the Regulars
Thanks man. Overall it's in really good shape, just some sweat on the liner and a bit on the front of the ribbon. I'm really loving rocking open crown right now so I'm gonna leave it.

That Nevadan looks to be in mint shape, Clint. Are you going to do any work on the crown, or just leave it open?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82