Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "Nostalgia"? (now with pics)

Feraud said:
For reference here is a Knox and Stetson with bound brims.
Picture5675.jpg

Picture5589.jpg

I'll take one of each of these. :D

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Now, I'm a little curious. How many people prefer the wider binding to a more modern narrow binding. I know the wider gives the hat more of a vintage look but this is a hat to sell to the masses as well.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

besdor said:
Now, I'm a little curious. How many people prefer the wider binding to a more modern narrow binding. I know the wider gives the hat more of a vintage look but this is a hat to sell to the masses as well.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Honestly speaking, I would much rather have a wider binding than the narrow one.
The narrow one reminds me of Lee's old cheap "Farmer hats." They kept the cost down by having that narrow binding and thin ribbon---not to mention the other cheap accoutrements. Its an old view but thin binding still says cheap to me. [huh]

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
besdor said:
Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Well, I would personally prefer a wide binding, and I don't know that I would buy the thin binding. I've owned several like that, and none remain in my collection today.

Based on comments I get on the street, the public at large does notice the difference, even if they can't sort out what makes it different. But my wider binding get more glowing comments, generally.

My feel from this community is that the wide binding is more Whippet-like, and more in demand.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MK said:
I think a wider bound edge that is a matching color instead of a contrasting color is the ticket.

After seeing the Dobbs and Stetson above, I agree. The matching wider binding is the one, IMHO.

Ande1964

Practically Family
I like the wider binding. Is that really a turnoff to the masses? You would know better than I... I'm just surprised to hear that.

Anj

toobacat

One of the Regulars
I prefer wider binding, especially matching binding (the black doesn't work for me). A nice vintage looking brown sweatband would be perfect.

carldelo

One Too Many
The wider binding on those 2 old hats does look perfect, so I guess I prefer it, especially in the matching color. I also agree there's no particlar reason a wider vs narrower binding would put off the hoi polloi.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Echoing what others have stated, traditionally bindings were similar in color to the felt of the hat. I would prefer a wider, body colored binding with a wide ribbon. If it were a narrow ribbon hat like a Stratoliner or Open Road, I would want the narrow binding to match.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
J. M. Stovall said:
How do they know?

I think it's probably based on what sells. Of course, since the wide binding is nearly impossible to find in a production hat these days, the numbers might be off. lol All I know is, "You can't find a hat like that around here," sounds like an endorsement to me.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Not to be the voice of dissent here, but...I rather like the look of MK's Nostalgia. It has a nice, crisp look to it.

And, speaking of edge binding, I have a Dobbs from the 20s (I think) that has the edge bound with grosgrain that is 1/4" on the underside and 1/2" on the top....??? How'd they do that?

barrowjh

One Too Many
I'm still curious about the difference between the Windham and the Nostalgia. Both seem to have a fairly full crown, 2 1/2" brim, wide ribbon, and I think both are Sovereigns. Aside from the brown sweatband and white liner (and pheather on the windham), is there any significant difference?

Maybe it would be more effecient to just buy a windham if you want the wide bound brim?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Windham is preblocked with a welted edge that is then bound. It was a great seller this past season in brown and black. This year, Hatco has it in a Bark color . But I personaly dont like it because of the contrasting binding. The Nostalgia is open crown ,something not offered in a production hat for quite a while.
I suspect that this will sell to hat stores only. A clothing store would not know what to do with an open crown,.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe