Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "Nostalgia"? (now with pics)

barrowjh

One Too Many
How will the Bencraft version of the Nostalgia differ from the Windham - it seems to be a lot like the stock Nostalgia, but with a brim treatment. A difference in crown taper?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Here are the photos!

Here are the photos of the Stetson Nostalgia. One is the garden variety, stock Nostalgia....which can be distinguished as the one with the feather. The other was made for me to put through the paces. It has a few special extras. It has a bound brim, a brown leather sweatband and a white liner. The stock hat is a 7 1/8. The other is a 7 1/4.

_MG_0214sm.jpg

_MG_0215sm.jpg

_MG_0217sm.jpg

IMG_0658.JPG

_MG_0224sm.jpg

_MG_0225sm.jpg

I think it is the best looking fedora Stetson has produced in years.

Enjoy!

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like it, especially the black brim binding, though I also wish it were wider. I have a weakness for gray hats anyway. How does the felt feel?

Another question, MK, if you please. Why did you ask for the white liner?

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
I like it, especially the black brim binding, though I also wish it were wider. I have a weakness for gray hats anyway. How does the felt feel?

I have to agree, the bound hat is mighty nice, but would look so much nicer with a wider bound edge[huh]

carldelo

One Too Many
I like the thin brim binding - I think it may look more in scale with the narrower ribbon that Besdor requested. Hey Besdor - how about that white lining and brown sweatband? They look great, don't they? hint, hint.... Actually, the Ashland I bought from Bencraft last winter has that combination and it looks really nice, much better than the black/black in my Chatham.

For some reason, the Nostalgia reminds me of my first hat, a NOS gray Cavanagh with the Cav edge and a wide ribbon, now defunct. It will be nice to have a replacement, in spirit anyway.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

BobC said:

Another question, MK, if you please. Why did you ask for the white liner?

I don't like black liners. They scream modern.

I think a wider bound edge that is a matching color instead of a contrasting color is the ticket.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
MK said:
I think a wider bound edge that is a matching color instead of a contrasting color is the ticket.

Ditto. The black edge binding isn't particularly "nostalgic." A slightly wider edge binding in silver gray would look sharp.

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MK said:
I don't like black liners. They scream modern.

Ahhh, point taken re the liner, MK. Thanks.

I like the black binding and think it helps to define the hat, but I think a wider black binding would be overwhelming. I'm with you, MK and JtL...a wider matching binding would be much more suitable to a hat named "Nostalgia"

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't buy the stock version you first got, but the one they tweaked for you is very good and I would buy that...

...except that I've promised myself not to buy any more grey hats!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Nostalgia will have a matching binding. As for the width of the binding, we will have to see what is available. I don't know if Hatco has the wider binding available today. It's not like the Stetson of the past. They cant even do a stitched edge today. The hats are now made in the Garland plant that was used to make Westerns for the longest time. They are not 100% on top of making dress hats. We have had problems with Hatco making Homburgs for us as they are usualy hand curled. I once mentioned a Cav edge and the only one who knew what it was was the sales manager who has been in the business for 50 years!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe