Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "Nostalgia"? (now with pics)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I can't believe they brought it back.

They sold the Nostalgia about 10 years ago and I owned three of them back then. I'd order them from the outlet. I took two to Baron hats and they accidentally shrunk the crown so I suggest caution with these ones when near any moisture as the high crown on the originals was extremely stretched out felt that was extremely thin at the top.

I'm guessing it was brought back because of the new indy movie and the similar block style used for the indy hats.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
I can't believe they brought they brought it back.

They sold the Nostalgia about 10 years ago and I owned three of them back then. I'd order them from the outlet. I took two to Baron hats and they accidentally shrunk the crown so I suggest caution with these ones when near any moisture as the high crown on the originals was extremely stretched out felt that was extremely thin at the top.

Steven, since you've been talking with Stetson (Hatco), could you find out whether they would make this putative new Nostalgia from standard-sized bodies that have been stretched beyond the usual limits, or from taller bodies? Addressing Matt's issues from some years back. Hate to say it, but it sort of sounds like they are loath to venture too far from current standards, perhaps quite understandable from a business perspective.

If these were indeed comparable in quality and durability to the older hats, I would be very interested in purchase, especially if they were welted (although not ruling out bound at all...) and I think 2-5/8 brim and caribou would be an outstanding choice. I also think Hatco might be a tad too fixated on the pricing issue...I believe folks would pay a bit more for something first-rate and durable.

- Bill

carter

I'll Lock Up
Woodfluter said:
Steven, since you've been talking with Stetson (Hatco), could you find out whether they would make this putative new Nostalgia from standard-sized bodies that have been stretched beyond the usual limits, or from taller bodies? Addressing Matt's issues from some years back. Hate to say it, but it sort of sounds like they are loath to venture too far from current standards, perhaps quite understandable from a business perspective.If these were indeed comparable in quality and durability to the older hats, I would be very interested in purchase, especially if they were welted (although not ruling out bound at all...) and I think 2-5/8 brim and caribou would be an outstanding choice. I also think Hatco might be a tad too fixated on the pricing issue...I believe folks would pay a bit more for something first-rate and durable.
- Bill

Hats from the Outlet Store are there because they are wearable but still have a flaw(s) that failed to pass QC at HATCO. Thin felt at the crown may have been one of those flaws. I have purchased at least two dozen hats from the Outlet Store and most flaws are virtually undetectable, but they are there. Don't judge a hat from an Outlet Store as if it were full retail. There is a difference.

I live near the Outlet. Maybe I'll take a drive that way this week.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Stetson just sent me some hats to review in Classic Style...including the Nostalgia. It is a good looking hat. The crown and brim look great. Of course the felt is modern and doesn't compare to how it was back in the day. I need to spend a little more time with it...but I would venture to say it is the coolest looking mass produced hat being made today.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
We are working woth Hatco to change the Nostalgia around a little to give it more of a 1940's look. The current version has a 22line band with a 2 1/2" brim. We are going to sell the hats with a 19 line band with a bound edge . This will make it look more like the "Whippet" style from the past. We tried to get a welted edge but that wasn't possible.
Once the samples are finished, I will post pics for everyone to see.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Actually I'd bet on the Akubra for felt quality and the crown block is pretty much the same as what Akubra is using. I have a couple of Nostalgias a few years back and since they stretched the dress hat crown out soo much they tapered (shrunk) faster than any hat I've ever seen.

Stetson was doing both bound edge and raw edge Nostalgias a few years back.

If they are using bigger hoods this time around to make the hats and not stretching them out an elaborate amount like they did to the previous versions then they might fair better.

I'd venture to say though that they are making them exactly he same way. I;m also sure it's to take advantage of the Indiana Jones Market soon to hit and they need as many fedora's on the front lines as possible.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
besdor said:
We are working woth Hatco to change the Nostalgia around a little to give it more of a 1940's look. The current version has a 22line band with a 2 1/2" brim. We are going to sell the hats with a 19 line band with a bound edge . This will make it look more like the "Whippet" style from the past. We tried to get a welted edge but that wasn't possible.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
Will it be in pumpkinhead sizes too, and long ovals?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Matt Deckard said:
I;m also sure it's to take advantage of the Indiana Jones Market soon to hit and they need as many fedora's on the front lines as possible.

Actually....the Hatco folks were talking with me about producing a fedora that would appeal to our members before the film was announced. I do think Indy 4 got them to fast track the project....but it isn't there only motivation.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
besdor said:

Steven -- are you sticking with the 2 1/2" brim, or are you also looking into the possibility of 2 5/8" brim, as well?

Cheers,
JtL

carldelo

One Too Many
besdor said:

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Steven - I hope you'll post here when you get the hat in your shop - I'd definitely come over to check it out, even a sample in the wrong size. And I echo the question re: large sizes, specifically 7-3/4.

Atterbury Dodd said:
Are there going to be any other brim widths besides 2 5/8? I like 2 1/2 and 2 1/4 and I like welted edges, which are so hard to get on a new hat these days.

Atterbury, the last hat I bought is a Stetson Ashland (from Besdor, BTW). It's has a 2-1/4" underwelt brim and is a great shape. It's Royal quality so not as nice as a Sovereign quality Chatham, but nice just the same. Of course mine is dark brown and I get called Indy quite a bit, but, whatever....

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The hat will most likely be a 2 1/2 inch brim . We now have to decide on the wider binding or the standard 4 line even binding that is used today.
What do fellow loungers think?

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

P.S. Yes it will go up to a 7 3/4.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
besdor said:
The hat will most likely be a 2 1/2 inch brim . We now have to decide on the wider binding or the standard 4 line even binding that is used today.
What do fellow loungers think?

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

P.S. Yes it will go up to a 7 3/4.

I like the specs, I want to order one. When are they going to be available?[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe