Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "Nostalgia"? (now with pics)

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
The Nostalgia is a surprisingly sharp looking hat. I can't help but notice that nobody seems to have it in any size larger than a 7 5/8, which leaves my 7 7/8 head to stick to my Akubras.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Atomic Glee said:
The Nostalgia is a surprisingly sharp looking hat. I can't help but notice that nobody seems to have it in any size larger than a 7 5/8, which leaves my 7 7/8 head to stick to my Akubras.

I belive that Carter says he has seen them up to size 8...

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
Didn't Carter come across them in the Texas Outlet already?...Sounds like AG needs to take a drive to Garland.....:D

If there's a chance of scoring one at the Hatco outlet, I just may - though I do not like venturing over to the "other side" of the metroplex. :) Some Saturday I may just catch the train over and take a visit.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Rick Blaine said:
I belive that Carter says he has seen them up to size 8...

Sorry RB, The largest I have seen is a 7 5/8 in Caribou. I bought it on the spot. While the HATCO Outlet has a plethora of fedoras, one seldom finds a Nostalgia or a Pinnacle. The stock changes daily so it's catch as catch can on any given day.

I've contacted Jimmy Pierce about binding the brim on my Nostalgia.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Mr. 'H' said:
I would definitely buy it. Without a doubt.

I think it would sell here, for sure. There are some stores here that carry modern Stetson, but I think this would go down a treat.

I think they should get it into London stores too.

It has been lashing rain here for weeks now and nobody thinks it's strange that you're wearing a hat when it is raining cats and dogs.... :p

BrianinFederationatTrinityCollege.jpg

My favorite time to wear a hat

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
My favorite time to wear a hat

Great observation. I was walking our dog late last evening and was pretty far afield when a light rain started. Muffled sound of raindrops on felt. The Akubra R.M. felt right at home...:)

Cheers,
JtL

carldelo

One Too Many
Same goes for me

B. F. Socaspi said:
Any word on the bound edge?

My car is all warmed up and ready to drive over to Brooklyn so I can try on a Nostalgia with bound brim - my birthday is past but Christmas is coming...

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
I just got a Nostalgia, size 7 1/2 ... and it is too large.

Will it shrink?

I have 2 other modern Stetsons in 7 1/2 and both fit fine, although neither fit well when new. I do not remember them being too large though, just inappropriately-shaped for my head -- l would need a long oval (at least) for a proper fit in a new hat.

Has Stetson's sizing changed in the last five years?

Has anybody had a Nostalgia long enough to notice if they shrink a bit?

Should I send it back and get a 7 3/8? (Also guaranteed not to fit perfectly since they don't make long ovals.)

My head measures just a hair over 59 cm. My hair is very short right now; when it is longer, the measurement might reach 59.5. On some charts, this qualifies as 7 3/8; others, 7 1/2.

carldelo

One Too Many
Bummer

Bird's One View said:
I just got a Nostalgia, size 7 1/2 ... and it is too large.

Will it shrink?

I have 2 other modern Stetsons in 7 1/2 and both fit fine, although neither fit well when new. I do not remember them being too large though, just inappropriately-shaped for my head -- l would need a long oval (at least) for a proper fit in a new hat.

Has Stetson's sizing changed in the last five years?

Has anybody had a Nostalgia long enough to notice if they shrink a bit?

Should I send it back and get a 7 3/8? (Also guaranteed not to fit perfectly since they don't make long ovals.)

My head measures just a hair over 59 cm. My hair is very short right now; when it is longer, the measurement might reach 59.5. On some charts, this qualifies as 7 3/8; others, 7 1/2.

I have two modern Stetsons bought last winter, same size, 7-3/4. One fits perfectly, the other is about a third of a size too big. I used some foam sizing strips behind the sweatband and now it fits well - I guess there's just some variation in sizing. This is probably exacerbated by your long oval head size.

As far as your correct size, you don't need to rely on charts. Convert your head circumference to inches (divide by 2.54) then divide by PI to get your correct size: 59 cm is a bit over 7-3/8, 59.5 is a bit under 7-1/2 so you are truly between sizes. Why not try padding the sweatband for a few days to see if they work out before sending it back.

PS - how do you like the look of the Nostalgia? I heard from Besdor that the Bencraft version with bound brim and narrower ribbon is still in the works, but delayed.

PPS - If the hat does shrink over time, the strips can eventually be removed - if you go smaller and it shrinks you'll be out of a hat.

Topdog

Familiar Face
Any update on the Bencraft bound brim version of the Nostalgia hat? If it doesn't come in soon the felt season will be over and we will be able to get the new Stetson Whippet next fall. Will the new whippet be an open crown?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe