Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steamer or kettle?

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Another cleaning trick is to use white vinegar. The mild acid will dissolve the minerals on the heater elements. It's a matter of putting a little vinegar in the inboard reservoir (not using the supply bottle here), running it for a couple minutes, then turning it off and dumping the vinegar out. One might need to do this a few times, but it will remove the residue. This trick works on coffee pots, tea kettles and the like.

As far as tea kettles spitting water, I find that the old fashioned kind with the long spout do not do this if you keep the water level below the outflow holes in the side of the kettle (visible with the lid off as you put the water in) where the spout is welded on. I only put enough in to cover the bottom, so the main body of the kettle becomes a steam chamber (as opposed to a water tank.

In fact, my one-year old Jiffy steamer spits more water droplets out than I care for.

I like the sound of the cook pot with the foil cone attachment. That's pretty clever. It ought to make for a nice dry steam. I'll have to try that one myself next time I want to tweak a hat in the house as opposed to wandering out to the workshop where the Jiffy is.....

All this said, the Jiffy is still a good thing to have if one gets into really reworking hats. As I say, I went for one when I decided I needed a hat workbench out in the workshop for 'getting serious' on hats. That makes it part of the machine shop, more or less, but then I tend to look at felt and straw as being just two more materials to be worked with. ;)

later!

Stan

Stan

A-List Customer
hi,

I should have added that I was in the hat workshop just this morning. My old moth-bit 3x Stetson Open Road that I use for my cool weather 'farming hat' was looking a bit misshapen and tapered. Well, it's been a bit wet around here lately, and one still needs to feed the chickens and gather the eggs on a daily basis, rain, snow or shine. The hat has bees soaked thru dozens of times since I last worked on it.

So, I decided to fix the poor thing once again. I started by spraying the crown inside and out with distilled water. Then, I warmed up the old hot block and pushed the hat all the way down, then slowly opened it up to set the size whilst 'massaging' the crown felt.

After that it was simply a matter of turning off the hot block and wandering away for an hour or so to let the damp felt dry out. At that point, I have an open crown hat with the taper stretched out.

The next step was to fire up the Jiffy steamer and put the C-crown and front pinch back in, which is what I like to have in this particular hat. Oh, and I also used the steam to loosen up the brim felt a bit and then used my fingers to pull some of the extra curl the brim had developed recently.

Now, it's back to what I want it to be for a while longer. :)

The ribbon is starting to look a bit worse for the wear, too. I might have to replace that next go-around.....

later!

Stan

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
So, last night I used the jiffy cleaning solution.
I left it in for 3 hours as recommended. Removed the brass spout and noticed a fair amount of mineral build blocking the wholes. I washed them out with distilled water.

After the 3 hours I flushed the solution out and a lot of "rust" came out. Only after the third or fourth rinse the water came clean. I tried it after and it works even better! Probably this is how it used to perform 2 years ago.

Case solved! One day I'd like to get a steamer like that. Looks nice -

JimWagner

Practically Family
Thank you everyone who responded. It seems that for occasional touch ups pretty much any hot steam source not spitting water should suffice. Maybe rebashing on a regular basis would make a J-1 pretty much a must have. Certainly so if you're really into redoing, restoring or making hats.

This thread has giving me some ideas for some "kettle mods" I'd like to try out. If I come up with anything good in that line I'll post it.

Think I'll hold off buying a J-1 for a while longer.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
By the way, I use a small stove top pot of water. I just wrap some foil over the pot to make a spout. Same thing as a kettle really. To date it has worked fine for me. But I agree that the steamer should be optimal -

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I seldom steam, but when I do, I use our samovar.
1010631500220_xl.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Wow! that's one elegant steamer. We need a steaming competition. Something like an Iron Chef for hat aficionados ... ;)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
I so look forward to your replies!!! lol lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

This one is true. My wife is a hardcore tea aficionado, we've got that exact samovar, and it's really what I use.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
This one is true. My wife is a hardcore tea aficionado, we've got that exact samovar, and it's really what I use.
:eek: again! I thought you were teasing. You've put my jiffy to shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld