Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting out Vintage.

Mumette

New in Town
Hello,

I've always admired the vintage styles from afar but unfortunately, while living with my parents (as a minor) I was unable too. Try explaining to your parents why you want genuine silk stockings at 17! :p

Anyways, now that I'm out on my own and with a steady paycheck I can finally realize my dream....but I have no idea where to start! My biggest issue is size, I am very small ( a 0-1) and seem to have issues finding clothes that fit in current fashions.

If anybody could please post the links to a few reputable dealers and a few hints on sizing, and maybe a few on hair and makeup. I really like the style emulated by Dita Von Teese, and am not only looking for foundation wear.

When it comes to makeup, and the style in general, does it matter if you are dark? I know it seems like such a crass thing to post but let's face it, most of the beauties honored for showcasing this style are pale. I'm of an olive complexion and it's a tad discouraging because while I love the style, it's rather hard to pull it off exactly.

Thanks and my apologies for posting all of this if there was already a thread that answers all my questions, I'm rather new.

Last edited:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Being small isn't a problem for vintage wearers. A modern size 0-1 is typically a vintage size 12-14, depending on your definition of 0-1. Today, shops go for vanity sizing, so a 0 at the Gap isn't the same as a 0 in a high-end designer boutique. Being small means you'll have an easier time getting good prices on eBay. There are tons of books on hairstyling, depending if you want 30's, 40's or 50's. As for complexion: as with today, people came in all shapes and sizes, colors and creeds. My Italian grandmother and her sisters, on one side, and Greek great-grandmother on the other, looked just as beautiful as any pale faced Anglo.

Mumette

New in Town
Thank you for the reply! I am a 0 in designer sizes. I rarely fit into anything that is found in a commercial store. I generally find a much better fit in the children's sizes (10/12 12 being the best).

I'm Puerto Rican/Japanese so it's a tad harder to find a model to emulate. I do have some Grecian characteristics and everybody asks me if I'm Greek (I have olive green eyes and a pale golden complexion), so it was nice to hear that your grandmother looked just as lovely.

Do you have any idea where I can find some good basic pieces? I would love a swing skirted halter dress and have been searching for one at my local Goodwill with no luck. They seem to be getting rid of a lot of older stuff at my local shop and replacing them with newer fashion choices.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Learn to sew (if you don't know how already) and you can easily find patterns in sizes 10 or 12 that should fit you.

Also, it doesn't matter if you are purple -- vintage can be "pulled off" by anyone. I'm a ginger with freckles. Read any 30s or 40s beauty magazine and they will tell you that freckles are evil, but it's the 21st Century. That's a huge factor in being vintage "today." Beauty comes in many forms now and no one will think you "don't pull it off" because you're too "dark." It's an absurd notion :D

BunnyLamarr

New in Town
I don't think it really is a problem that you have Olive skin, I bet it's a really pretty colour. I have olive skin too and actually hadn't considered it until I read your post :eek: isn't that strange!

But I should imagine that Margarita Carmen Cansino had rather Olive skin and she certainly was a beauty :D
http://claudia79.tripod.com/early.html

xx

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Keep in mind too that vintage beauty magazines were pitching an ideal the same as they do today, and there were just as many women then who for whatever reason fell outside that imaginary ideal as there are today. Have a look at the Everyday Women Of The Golden Era thread for plenty of inspiration as to how people *really* looked then.

Mumette

New in Town
You have all made great points about the 'ideal' look. Yes, I do have a very pretty skin tone that I love but I do sometimes take an envious glance at those porcelain skinned friends of mine that would look fabulous all dolled up. :)

My own skin tone is not dark as much as it is just really rich. I am a soft golden yellow. I love it and that's who I am, so I will work around it. :) Thanks a bunchies for all those links. I can't wait to check them out.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Mummette, my wife is very small (she wears 2 in some modern jeans and sometimes even a 0), and she finds a great deal of vintage wear she likes.

Etsy's a really nice option -- for browsing and buying -- though some of the prices are daunting. Not all of them are, though.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
If you want to purchase on ebay, take your measurments or measure a dress that you already have that fits you well. You can fd a lot of 12 and 14 on ebay which may fit and a lot of cute dreses for junoirs. I als agree with Amy Jeanne, if you learn to sew the possibilites are endless. :D

1finefeline

New in Town
This is just what I did when I was starting out as well. I just measured things I already had that fit well. I'm a small size too and it's quite easy to find things that fit. Most especially patterns!! I'm learning to sew too and teaching myself...so you won't be alone around here as a learner!

Mumette

New in Town
Thanks. Yes, learning to sew has always frightened me, I don't know why though. I've always been afraid to sew my fingers up or something silly.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Hey Mumette! Where in Florida are you? If you're nearby, or even reasonably so (I live in St Pete these days), I'd be happy to go over some sewing basics with you and show you some of the shops I like. Truthfully, it'd be nice to have someone to talk vintage to, as none of my friends are into it. Let me know!

Mumette

New in Town
I live in Land O Lakes, which isn't to far :) Rather close to US 41. To tell you the truth I'm a tad apprehensive of meeting people in RL that I met online, but I would love that. :) I don't have many friends who are interested in it as well so it would be nice.

Tatum

Practically Family
Mumette and Gracie Lee (I LOVE your avatar, btw)... I am a bit south in the Ft Myers area, please let me know if I would be welcome as well. I would love to spend time with some like-minded ladies! Also, there are some interesting vintage shops in the Orlando and Winter Park area you might want to check out. I haven't yet gotten to the Tampa/St. Pete area for shopping...

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Yay! Of course you're welcome to join us, Tatum! I'd love to have a get together/sewing/shopping date with as many nearby ladies as are interested. I scored a gorgeous dress over the weekend, and it would have been a million times more fun if I'd had friends who could appreciate it with me. Perhaps we could do a day in Orlando? It would be a bit more of a drive for you, Tatum, than for either Mumette or me, but if you'd like, we could meet in St Pete or Tampa and share the driving... not sure what the most efficient route from Ft Myers to Orlando is.

btw, I love YOUR avatar - so pretty! I may beg hairstyling lessons from you, as I seem to have 10 thumbs...

Tatum

Practically Family
Yay! Of course you're welcome to join us, Tatum! I'd love to have a get together/sewing/shopping date with as many nearby ladies as are interested. I scored a gorgeous dress over the weekend, and it would have been a million times more fun if I'd had friends who could appreciate it with me. Perhaps we could do a day in Orlando? It would be a bit more of a drive for you, Tatum, than for either Mumette or me, but if you'd like, we could meet in St Pete or Tampa and share the driving... not sure what the most efficient route from Ft Myers to Orlando is.

btw, I love YOUR avatar - so pretty! I may beg hairstyling lessons from you, as I seem to have 10 thumbs...

I was just in Orlando over the weekend! I have a good friend there, so it is not a big deal for me to go. I like to go up the middle of the state, it's just boring to take I-75 to I-4...I'd rather drive through the citrus groves and fun little towns. The tricky part is getting the time off work, but I can finagle that. And I would be happy to help with your hair! I could use some sewing help too I'm sure. I'd also love to see where you like to shop in your area!

Also, if you like antiquing, we could always do an Arcadia meet-up. There are some really fun antique stores there!

Yay, a weekend for the SFL FL'ers! I can't wait... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe