Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spring/Summer Flannel Slacks

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
For those breezy evenings or brisk days, I love the look of cream or gray flannel trousers. The look has been cataloged in the annals of menswear, on celebrities, Esquire, AA. It's there. But it's not here. It was featured on a man on the Sartorialist a few days ago. I've been looking everywhere for a pair of spring weight flannel pants. Does anyone know who is making them?

Doug C

Practically Family
I must be hugely uninformed on this vintage fashion because the words "summer time" and "flannel" seem to me like a very bad idea to me, no matter how thin it is. Then again I live in Texas maybe if I were in another part of the world. I can't even sleep with a flannel sheet in the wintertime.

Doug C

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Doug C said:
the words "summer time" and "flannel" seem to me like a very bad idea

Back in the day, baseball uniforms like the one that the Bambino is wearing were made of wool flannel.

Babe-Ruth-at-Bat.jpg

Wool flannel was de rigueur for tennis players like Big Bill Tilden, as well

09.19.jpg

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Doug C said:
I must be hugely uninformed on this vintage fashion because the words "summer time" and "flannel" seem to me like a very bad idea to me, no matter how thin it is. Then again I live in Texas maybe if I were in another part of the world. I can't even sleep with a flannel sheet in the wintertime.

Doug C

As Tomasso and others have often noted here, the weave of a fabric has as much to do with how warm it wears as does the weight. Flannel wears appreciably warmer than a worsted cloth in the same weight, and a dense worsted wears considerably warmer than an open-weave cloth of the same weight.

All that is to say I have seen flannels as light as 8-8.5 ounces (Brooks Brothers offers them in their MTM program, for example), but I would still expect that to wear quite warm.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
When I was in NZ last, I happened upon a nice white pair of flannels in a vintage clothing shop- high waist, voluminous through the seat and legs.
They could be '50s vintage, maybe newer, as the cut is not a giveaway, due to the purpose and intended age group.

They are labelled as "Bowls attire".
Bowls is an outdoor bowling game, played all through the Commonwealth, generally by oldies. Just another sport, in addition to Tennis and Cricket,
where white flannels are used.
Although my internet searching didn't find any contemporary examples for sale, excepting polyester. I think I would prefer a nice flannel or gab to polyester, any day.

B
T

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I dunno about flannel in the summer. I wear it in the winter, and find it too warm much of the time. It would have to be some pretty light flannel.

Of course, all of my flannel is red/black plaid, and purchased in Michigan's upper peninsula.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
Unless you're in northern Scotland (and east of the Caledonian Canal) where the youth often outnumber the oldies 'pon the green.

bk

But here in the States, it's better known as lawn bowling, and it's sort of a somewhat unknown but yet pretty popular sport among some circles. I checked a few months back on flannels or similar for summer by Googling and didn't find any, but if you're looking for some vintage style sweater vests or tennis sweater, they're available on a few of the sites I found.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe