Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spelling

Foofoogal

Banned
KittyT. Your photos are hilarious.
--------------------

Not sure what Texas school that guy went to but I did indeed have grammar in the 1970s and learned how to diagram a sentence. Amazing how much you forget over time though.

tuppence

Practically Family
Now I have Windows7 I can't find my spellcheck. My goodness I think that was invaluble for allowing not to look like a total dummy.
When I went to school, past primary, spelling was fairly unimportant. It was the content that mattered. Maybe they foresaw? spellcheck.
I know a lot of smart people who can't spell.

Foofoogal said:
KittyT. Your photos are hilarious.
--------------------

Not sure what Texas school that guy went to but I did indeed have grammar in the 1970s and learned how to diagram a sentence. Amazing how much you forget over time though.

They did the same thing here in the 70s but it was a transitional era. New math was being taught along with grammar the right way. I used to come home every day and have my mother reteach me the right way to do math. It killed the teacher that I could get the right answer with fewer steps and do it with old math. In the long run she gave up and I won---I was the only one allowed to do so however as I just couldn't do it the roundabout way they had invented. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

tuppence said:
I don't even know what diagraming a sentence is:eek:

obama-sentence-diagram-5806-1234983534-13.jpg

A little easier example:
compound_complex_sentence_diagram.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Derek Cavin said:
My wife's friend is a teacher and that was one of the main things I asked her to focus on with her students.
A professor once told me you can't judge a persons intelligence by their spelling abilities, but it sure does help I thought. Reviewing a resume, spelling is one of the first things I look for.

Just saying . . . :)

/|\

One of the Regulars
randooch said:
Just saying . . . :)

Heh. I noticed Navel Academy in the original post. Who knew there is a school dedicated to Omphaloskepsis? :icon_smil

It's a classic example of Gaudere's Law:
Any post made to point out a spelling or grammar error will invariably contain a spelling or grammar error.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld